Pope resigns/ New Pope Chosen

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
Knew Africa was, didn't know that Asia. Interesting. What country/area, mostly?

Here is a paragraph:

In 2010 there were just under 1,196 million Catholics, compared to about 1.181 million in 2009, for a total increase of 15 million faithful at 1.3%. The territorial impact of Catholics suffered noticeable variations between 2009 and 2010: they have reduced their importance in South America (from 28.54 to 28.34 per cent) and especially in Europe (from 24.05 to 23.83 per cent). They reclaimed position in Africa (from 15.15 to 15.55 per cent) and South East Asia (from 10.41 to 10.87 per cent).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
I didn't and don't really care who the pope is, but I'd imagine there's numerous LA cardinals who don't have that sort of baggage.

Are you sure? Doesn't seem like a Cardinal without baggage exists.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)
:lolhitting

As the product of a Jesuit secondary education, I am edified that a Jebbie has finally made the Big Time.

I agree, and I've got an undergrad and a doc from separate Jesuit institutions.

What exactly is a Jesuit?

A Jesuit is a member of the Society of Jesus, which is a Catholic religious order founded by Ignatius of Loyola in the 16th Century. They're best known for their work in education. Georgetown, Boston College, Loyola, Marquette, St. Louis, Detroit, Xavier, and Gonzaga (among others) are all Jesuit universities.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
A Jesuit is a member of the Society of Jesus, which is a Catholic religious order founded by Ignatius of Loyola in the 16th Century. They're best known for their work in education. Georgetown, Boston College, Loyola, Marquette, St. Louis, Detroit, Xavier, and Gonzaga (among others) are all Jesuit universities.

And in terms of high schools in the Chicago area, I know at least Loyola (Wilmette) and St. Ignatius (Chicago) are Jesuit.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

Got it. Thanks.

i went to Loyola Chicago - Jesuits are awesome. They get sloshed on wine and party with students. They're typically among the more liberal of catholics... although for some reason this guy isn't. laaaame.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
And in terms of high schools in the Chicago area, I know at least Loyola (Wilmette) and St. Ignatius (Chicago) are Jesuit.

Ignatius Alumni in the house!

Having been exposed mostly to Dominican and Carmelite clergy and thought as a kid, the critical, questioning, and somewhat more liberal Jesuit viewpoint was refreshing. I probably have them to thank/blame for my eventual flight from Roman Catholicism.

:P

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
For most of my life I had the same name as the pope (although I was born about 10 months before the first one took the name) yet I never got a nickname from it.

Only one person every really called me "the pope" but it never stuck.

How envious are you of Donn Pall?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
i went to Loyola Chicago - Jesuits are awesome. They get sloshed on wine and party with students. They're typically among the more liberal of catholics... although for some reason this guy isn't. laaaame.

I got my doc from there and my undergrad from Marquette. The Jesuits are great. They are liberal only in the sense of changing things with new knowledge. They tend to be very traditional with regards to practices, ceremonies and symbolism

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
How envious are you of Donn Pall?

I never minded because I really don't like my middle name anyway.

My parents specifically made a point to not name me after anyone else they knew. Even though my first name was consistently in the top 5 baby names for like 50 straight years before I was born and remained in the top 10 until recently.

:lol:

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 07:43 AM)
He's very into helping the poor, but he's also been accused of being too chummy with a brutal Argentinian regime in the late 70s.

My outsider's impression is that he's going to have far bigger issues to deal with in this position than what happened in Argentina in the 1970's, and being a "good guy" or "interested in helping the poor" isn't going to scratch the surface.

Between the corruption issues within the city, the ongoing sex scandal and continued coverups, and the attempts by his predecessor to roll back the Vatican II reforms, he has a large set of challenges of the administrative and policymaking type.

He sounds like the kind of guy that needs to be the next President - someone who doesn't care for the pomp and circumstance of the position and has done away with a lot of the "traditional" crap other Popes have continued on. In other words, a breath of fresh air. We'll see if it lasts.