2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

Per a Santiago interview on 670 a few weeks ago...he had said "I'm not throwing a 70 pitch bullpen today to be a reliever" and he also talked about how it often takes him an inning to get a handle on his screwball, which is why he almost never tried to use it in the pen last year. Said he leaned on his changeup, which also got him in trouble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
Or could it just be that he wanted more of a guarantee than 1 year? Maybe he wants a real vote of confidence. Had he turned down a 3 year extension, then I'd be more worried. As is, I could care less about that.

Exactly. We make a little playoff run this year or next, he gets a 3 year extension. If not, they probably still give him a chance to extend it by a year.

Edited by Jake

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
And they made mistakes too. They stuck with Morel too long, especially when he was batting 2nd. And Dunn can't be a 3-hitter for a winning team.

I'm not going to knock Ventura for one season of managing, but I have no idea if he's a good manager yet. It all seems like a "college of coaches" scenario, with Robin doing the pre- and postgame media sessions.

I just don't feel like he's the guy in control yet. And when he turns down a contract extension, I have to question how much he wants to do this. Truthfully, I'd rather have Mark Parent managing since he paid his dues in the minors, and has a good reputation.

Well that is the most bulls*** statement of all time. The Sox won 85 games last year and nearly won a division with Dunn as a 3 hitter.

And what is this college of coaches? And wanting Mark Parent to manage? And not knowing if Ventura is in charge???

#1) Good managers surround themselves with good people.

#2) No

#3) Ventura was obviously in charge last year. Why would he suddenly not be in charge this year? He commands the clubhouse's respect and does everything he can for the players.

Ventura is a good manager, and reading ANYTHING into that contract extension is merely pointless and worthless speculation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Well that is the most bulls*** statement of all time. The Sox won 85 games last year and nearly won a division with Dunn as a 3 hitter.

And what is this college of coaches? And wanting Mark Parent to manage? And not knowing if Ventura is in charge???

#2) No

#3) Ventura was obviously in charge last year. Why would he suddenly not be in charge this year? He commands the clubhouse's respect and does everything he can for the players.

Ventura is a good manager, and reading ANYTHING into that contract extension is merely pointless and worthless speculation.

QFT.

Again, it is nice to have a manager who ISN"T obsessed with this crap.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)

#2) No

I must have missed it when the Sox were celebrating on the field when they made the playoffs. The Sox weren't a winning team last year. 85 wins in the AL Central in the 2-wildcard era isn't good enough. If they stick with Dunn batting third, they won't make the postseason.

Again, Ventura may be a good manager...and he may not. I have no idea. You have no idea. The results will be on the field, but competing but coming up short isn't good enough no matter who the manager is. It's just weird that we have a manager that was offered another season on his deal, and he turned it down. That's not normal.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
I must have missed it when the Sox were celebrating on the field when they made the playoffs. The Sox weren't a winning team last year. 85 wins in the AL Central in the 2-wildcard era isn't good enough. If they stick with Dunn batting third, they won't make the postseason.

Again, Ventura may be a good manager...and he may not. I have no idea. You have no idea. The results will be on the field, but competing but coming up short isn't good enough no matter who the manager is. It's just weird that we have a manager that was offered another season on his deal, and he turned it down. That's not normal.

Players, managers, executives all get offered extensions all the time, and it is actually quite common they get turned down.

I don't think you can really argue with the results. Ventura took a team that lost TCQ and Buehrle and led them to 6 MORE wins.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Players, managers, executives all get offered extensions all the time, and it is actually quite common they get turned down.

Examples of managers under 60 years old and executives?

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
I don't think you can really argue with the results. Ventura took a team that lost TCQ and Buehrle and led them to 6 MORE wins.

While I think they overachieved last year, I don't know how much it had to do with Ventura. He made mistakes with the lineup and bullpen, but we'll see if that improves.

Bottom line for me...if the Sox organization is always "win now", then win.

They weren't a winning team, even though they were a winning team (which is what you just said). I'm sorry that the entire offense went into an incredible slump in the final 12 or 16 games, it must have been entirely the fault of Adam Dunn hitting 3rd.

Please.

They likely won't make the postseason anyways, but I can assure you it will have nothing to do with Adam Dunn hitting or not hitting in the 3rd hole.

I have a pretty damn good idea. I watched about 40 games last year. He's a pretty damn good manager. He struggles with playing and managing his role players - both his bench and bullpen - but he's a pretty damn good manager.

Oh, and the manager has an effect on about, at the very most, 4 games a year. Yes, he will make decisions that will either win or lose, but those tend to even out. Likely, if the Sox do not make the postseason, it will be because of the talent on the roster, not because of Ventura's managerial style.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Examples of managers under 60 years old and executives?

KW could have continued being the GM if he so chose. Since we have no idea of the terms of the extension, why is it so shocking he turned it down? Perhaps it was a little short in the cash department. Perhaps Ventura doesn't need the money and doesn't want to the White Sox to be tied down to a contract. There are many, many reasons. One of them is maybe he's really not into managing, and that may be why. But there are hundreds more, and to read anything into it right now isn't worth the time, because chances are, the reasons people think he turned it down are wrong. Contracts are negotiated. The first offer someone usually gives you, isn't the best they can do.

Edited by Dick Allen

I actually agree with Dunn not batting third, at least not to start the season.

I understand the theory behind having a three true outcome player batting third, but that's conditional on said hitter getting on-base at a high level. Dunn's OBP last year was .333, which is the direct result of him batting .204. Unless he can boost that average up some and get his OBP back in the .370 - .380 range, I think he's better suited for the five hole.

I'm still not sure what kind of Dunn we'll get next year and I'd rather have Rios or Konerko bat third until we know for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Comiskey Park Hitmen ‏@CPHSox

Mystery solved. Bobby Thigpen will wear # 58, the number he wore his rookie year with the #whitesox. Thornton will retain # 37.

Some other sites have numbers listed for some guys--

5- A Sanchez

7- Keppinger

18- Tekotte

20- Jor Danks back to 20

21- Flowers (not sure what Coop is doing, maybe 99 for Hickey?)

27- Lindstrom

36- Phegley

39- Anderson

40- Troncoso

54- Heath

60- Gray

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
And they made mistakes too. They stuck with Morel too long, especially when he was batting 2nd. And Dunn can't be a 3-hitter for a winning team.

I'm not going to knock Ventura for one season of managing, but I have no idea if he's a good manager yet. It all seems like a "college of coaches" scenario, with Robin doing the pre- and postgame media sessions.

I just don't feel like he's the guy in control yet. And when he turns down a contract extension, I have to question how much he wants to do this. Truthfully, I'd rather have Mark Parent managing since he paid his dues in the minors, and has a good reputation.

They had it won and blew it. Every player sucked for the last two weeks of the season and the blew a substantial lead. You should be complaining about them blowing it, not where Dunn is batting. He still has to hit, and the formula worked just fine all year. But they blew it. Sucks.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
As spring training begins, I am hoping Viciedo becomes a true star. Was there any straight talk at Soxfest about what the White Sox brass considers Viciedo? Is he a star in the making in their eyes, an average prospect or ?

I remember an answer about them adding a timing mechanism for him in the form of a shot leg kick, that's about all I remember hearing about him.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
As spring training begins, I am hoping Viciedo becomes a true star. Was there any straight talk at Soxfest about what the White Sox brass considers Viciedo? Is he a star in the making in their eyes, an average prospect or ?

Not sure but if he was on the trading block then I'd guess no.

OTOH Big Frank thinks so.

I think they've tried to cool off on praising Dayan. They realize he's here to stay and they don't want to build up too much pressure for him to be an amazing player. That said, I think they still have extremely high expectations for him. This will be the first year that he repeats at the same position since he's been in the organization and of course will be his second full time crack at the big leagues...and the first time wasn't so bad if you are looking at his ability to produce runs.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Edited by witesoxfan