2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Just checked @fangraphs: Jake Peavy averaged 82.8 mph with his slider last season. Touched 87 tonight. #WhiteSox -- Dan Hayes

Fastball topped at 93mph.

If he actually improved from last year, that would be the biggest shock. It seems that most of us would agree his season stats last year are about as good as he can be anymore. If his arms is going to start feeling even better, let's ride the wave!

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 12:27 AM)
If he actually improved from last year, that would be the biggest shock. It seems that most of us would agree his season stats last year are about as good as he can be anymore. If his arms is going to start feeling even better, let's ride the wave!

I'll take it!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Just checked @fangraphs: Jake Peavy averaged 82.8 mph with his slider last season. Touched 87 tonight. #WhiteSox -- Dan Hayes

Fastball topped at 93mph.

Wow. That just made me feel all tingly inside.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
Sanchez will be the backup SS.

Angel Sanchez, Hector Gimenez, DeWayne Wise, Connor Gillaspie - your 2013 White Sox bench.

My current assessment of that bench is...it doesn't suck.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 04:36 AM)
My current assessment of that bench is...it doesn't suck.

In my opinion, it's one of the weakest benches I can remember the Sox having going into the season. However, I thought the one last year was going to be fantastic and it ended up being terrible until some acquisitions were made.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
In my opinion, it's one of the weakest benches I can remember the Sox having going into the season. However, I thought the one last year was going to be fantastic and it ended up being terrible until some acquisitions were made.

I agree. So outside of a Wise hot streak or two, who can hit a baseball? I feel bad for Sanchez and Gillaspie as they aren't going to play much at all. Sucks for their growth, but then again they do get to be on an MLB roster so perhaps they are pretty stoked.

I like Gimenez as a utility guy and almost certainly has to outproduce what we had from our swing IF guys last year. Gillaspie should get plenty of time playing 3B against tough righties and pinch hitting late in games. Gimenez seems capable, but let's be honest it isn't often you're going to think much of your backup C. Wise is Wise -- a career backup that does what he does just fine. There's a reason he's not a starter, but there's a reason he's here too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)

Actually, I'd say the Sox's bench wound up being terrible after some acquisitions were made, because they traded away their bench in those deals. But anywho.

Hopefully Robin plays these guys a bit more this year. I think that was his biggest mistake last year, especially earlier when the bench was stronger.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Hopefully Robin plays these guys a bit more this year. I think that was his biggest mistake last year, especially earlier when the bench was stronger.

At least in the OF, I think he has more confidence in his backup guy. Probably at 3b also, based on the spring. I havne't seen how he's used Sanchez yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
At least in the OF, I think he has more confidence in his backup guy. Probably at 3b also, based on the spring. I havne't seen how he's used Sanchez yet.

Catcher more than anywhere. Flowers needs to be paced if he is going to have a chance at being effective for 162.