NBA/NFL age limits

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I wonder if these guys (projected lottery picks) get some kind of insurance coverage for this type of thing.

On a lighter note, odds Illinois loses to Purdue tonight? IMO, 48%

Some players do (I remember them specifically mentioning it when Willis McGahee got hurt), but IIRC the policies only pay out in the event of career ending injuries, not temporary injuries that simply cost you money because you fall in the draft.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Some players do (I remember them specifically mentioning it when Willis McGahee got hurt), but IIRC the policies only pay out in the event of career ending injuries, not temporary injuries that simply cost you money because you fall in the draft.

It depends on the policy. These are not normal things. Willis McGahee had insurance, not sure who it was through, I would assume Lloyds of London. They insure a lot of "odd" items, and those policies are all very specifically tailored.

You could get insured for temporary injury, but the premium would likely sky rocket. Given the fact that a lot of these players are not wealthy, they just may not be able to afford to proper coverage.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I wonder if these guys (projected lottery picks) get some kind of insurance coverage for this type of thing.

On a lighter note, odds Illinois loses to Purdue tonight? IMO, 48%

According to Calipari, Noel was insured, "so he would have been fine even if the injury would have been worse." Like someone else said, I think you do get insured but only if it keeps you from ever playing in the NBA at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
That whole argument is silly. Every industry has standards and minimum ages to be hired. Why does the NBA have to be different. I can't just declare myself a lawyer.

I was thinking something similar earlier today, even if a kid graduating HS is a genius and smart enough to be a lawyer, he still has to put in the college time and pass the bar in order to be a lawyer.

Of course the argument is much more complicated than that, but the NBA can do what they want. The NFL makes you wait 3 years, you rarely see this argument pop up when a incredible freshman blows out his knee.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
I was thinking something similar earlier today, even if a kid graduating HS is a genius and smart enough to be a lawyer, he still has to put in the college time and pass the bar in order to be a lawyer.

Of course the argument is much more complicated than that, but the NBA can do what they want. The NFL makes you wait 3 years, you rarely see this argument pop up when a incredible freshman blows out his knee.

Most professions require a college degree. While the NBA isn't based on academics, it is based on someones physical condition. Setting a minimum age with the assumption that kids will physically mature as they age isn't a bad requirement. The other part of this is that there are basketball leagues that don't have these requirements. If kids really want to get paid, go to Europe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
That whole argument is silly. Every industry has standards and minimum ages to be hired. Why does the NBA have to be different. I can't just declare myself a lawyer.

It's been good for the NBA, and since it's an NBA rule that's the only thing that matters. They probably love the new system. The NCAA works like a minor league system they don't have to pay for and it gives them a much better sample to use for scouting purposes. It also gives them free hype leading up to the draft instead of having a showcase of guys 95% of the population has never heard of. I don't see why they'd want to go back to the days when DeAndre Jordan, B.J. Mullens and Perry Jones III would be top-5 picks.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
It's been good for the NBA, and since it's an NBA rule that's the only thing that matters. They probably love the new system. The NCAA works like a minor league system they don't have to pay for and it gives them a much better sample to use for scouting purposes. It also gives them free hype leading up to the draft instead of having a showcase of guys 95% of the population has never heard of. I don't see why they'd want to go back to the days when DeAndre Jordan, B.J. Mullens and Perry Jones III would be top-5 picks.

I would imagine if they had it their way, it would look more like the NFL where they have to wait 3 years.

These arguments present false premises.

If you pass the bar at X age, you can practice law. A similar comparison would be if the NBA had a skills competition and if you were good enough, you could go to the NBA.

So while there are "standards" most of the time they are not based on things like "age" or "HS class".

For example, I could have graduated college in less than 3 years. That would have put me a class in front. Would it make sense to say that I have to wait 1 year to go to law school because I was in front of my class? Would it make sense after law school to say I have to sit for 1 year because I was to young?

The answer is no.

So while you can argue that generally other industries have "skill" requirements, most of those "skills" do not include things like "age." Unless its something that by law you can only do when you are a certain age (ie bar tender).

I just do not see why a basketball player should be subjected to similar requirements as a lawyer or doctor. And honestly, I dont believe that anyone should be subjected to those requirements. Lawyer requirements are a joke, its nothing more than a barrier of entry to try and prevent other people from becoming lawyers.

But once again, id be fine with something like the bar, where if a basketball player can show proficiency in the sport, that they can play in the NBA.

Because the point of the bar, isnt to protect lawyers, its to protect the public at large. And Im not sure what we are protecting the public from when it comes to basketball players getting paid at 18 as opposed to 19.

That is merely just an attempt to protect the NBA from bad investments.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
I would imagine if they had it their way, it would look more like the NFL where they have to wait 3 years.

College coaches would definitely want that, the NBA not as much IMO. No one will want to wait 3 years to get the next Lebron or Durant in the league. One-and-Done seems to serve their purposes, though 2 years wouldn't be the end of the world.

What are all these industries that have rules that prevent companies from hiring people at any age?

The only professions that are generally regulated this way, are professions where the public interest is involved. And the reason the govt argues that they have the ability to regulate is because regular people will be hurt.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
These arguments present false premises.

If you pass the bar at X age, you can practice law. A similar comparison would be if the NBA had a skills competition and if you were good enough, you could go to the NBA.

So while there are "standards" most of the time they are not based on things like "age" or "HS class".

For example, I could have graduated college in less than 3 years. That would have put me a class in front. Would it make sense to say that I have to wait 1 year to go to law school because I was in front of my class? Would it make sense after law school to say I have to sit for 1 year because I was to young?

The answer is no.

So while you can argue that generally other industries have "skill" requirements, most of those "skills" do not include things like "age." Unless its something that by law you can only do when you are a certain age (ie bar tender).

I just do not see why a basketball player should be subjected to similar requirements as a lawyer or doctor. And honestly, I dont believe that anyone should be subjected to those requirements. Lawyer requirements are a joke, its nothing more than a barrier of entry to try and prevent other people from becoming lawyers.

But once again, id be fine with something like the bar, where if a basketball player can show proficiency in the sport, that they can play in the NBA.

Because the point of the bar, isnt to protect lawyers, its to protect the public at large. And Im not sure what we are protecting the public from when it comes to basketball players getting paid at 18 as opposed to 19.

Yeah, they really are. My clerk knows more about the law than I do because she's been involved with cases in a few specific fields for 30 years. Yet she could never be a lawyer because she didn't go to law school.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)

Isn't that the point? They're keeping guys that aren't qualified to contribute to the NBA out of the league. You can count the number of guys that were ready to contribute right out of high school on one hand. It's far easier to send them to college for a year for further development and evaluation that trying to figure out if that high school kid actually has talent or is just way more athletic than the 6'5" centers he's playing against.

It's a way to reduce the guesswork in drafts and not spend assets on guys that may or may not be any good. Some of the guys that WERE picked might have been significantly better off if they had developed for a few years in college. We'll never really know if Ndudi Ebi would have turned out better if he spent a year or two at Arizona. For every Nerlens Noel that got "screwed" by this (I used the quotes because he'll still likely go top 5 anyways), you probably had 2 or 3 guys like Korleon Young that blew threw whatever money they earned and have to try to find a real job now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
One and dones suck for both college and the NBA. I'd rather have 3 years min or no min at all.

How is it bad for the NBA? A lot of the worst draft misses were because of mis-evaluating high school kids. They also don't have to send scouts to high school games anymore or have these guys play limited minutes for several years before it pays off just in time for them to get a massive pay raise. I don't really see how it hurts the NBA, they're getting a more experienced and polished player than they would under the old system.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Yeah, they really are. My clerk knows more about the law than I do because she's been involved with cases in a few specific fields for 30 years. Yet she could never be a lawyer because she didn't go to law school.

Our estate planning paralegal knows more than any ep attorney in our firm. Hilariously she does all of the paperwork, the attorney doesnt even look. Yet she isnt qualified because she doesnt have the time/money to go to law school.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Isn't that the point? They're keeping guys that aren't qualified to contribute to the NBA out of the league. You can count the number of guys that were ready to contribute right out of high school on one hand. It's far easier to send them to college for a year for further development and evaluation that trying to figure out if that high school kid actually has talent or is just way more athletic than the 6'5" centers he's playing against.

It's a way to reduce the guesswork in drafts and not spend assets on guys that may or may not be any good. Some of the guys that WERE picked might have been significantly better off if they had developed for a few years in college. We'll never really know if Ndudi Ebi would have turned out better if he spent a year or two at Arizona. For every Nerlens Noel that got "screwed" by this (I used the quotes because he'll still likely go top 5 anyways), you probably had 2 or 3 guys like Korleon Young that blew threw whatever money they earned and have to try to find a real job now.

Im not sure what you mean "this is the point" as you quoted 2 different points.

The first point is about the fact that there is no "public policy" concern. Regular people arent going to die because they went to a NBA game and Kwame Brown was playing. But they surely could die if a "Doctor" doesn't know what they are doing.

As for the part about the NBA protecting their investment, that is exactly the point and why its completely unfair to the 18 year old.

The NBA is a billion dollar corporation, it should be the one to carry the risk. Otherwise it should have to pay into an insurance fund for kids in college who get injured so that they have some money.

This is a subject Ive been strongly against for like 8 years now. I really hate barriers of entry.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Im not sure what you mean "this is the point" as you quoted 2 different points.

The first point is about the fact that there is no "public policy" concern. Regular people arent going to die because they went to a NBA game and Kwame Brown was playing. But they surely could die if a "Doctor" doesn't know what they are doing.

As for the part about the NBA protecting their investment, that is exactly the point and why its completely unfair to the 18 year old.

The NBA is a billion dollar corporation, it should be the one to carry the risk. Otherwise it should have to pay into an insurance fund for kids in college who get injured so that they have some money.

This is a subject Ive been strongly against for like 8 years now. I really hate barriers of entry.

Ha, bad copy and paste.

Allowing high school kids to declare let them screw themselves in a different way that wasn't really fair. Guys declared for the draft and hired an agent because they thought they were good enough but most of them aren't. So now the kid made a horrible decision based on bad advice and he can't go to college anymore because he killed his eligibility. They never really had a chance because they tried to skip a step competitively. There were more people that did that than blew out their knee like Noel.

Drafting kids out of high school just isn't good for anyone unless you're that one guy out of thousands that can handle it. The NBA just isn't going to stick their neck out on something like that for the rare guy that can handle it. A year in college isn't that big a deal for most of these guys, it's not like they have to actually pass courses and if they're good enough it's a minor roadblock at best. The only guys that get hurt by it are the guys that weren't good enough in the first place or the rare person that gets a career-altering injury (which again, likely isn't the case for Noel).

Edited by ZoomSlowik