NBA/NFL age limits

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
NBA teams should be able to draft Lebrons kid. Now obviously US law would make it pretty difficult for that kid to be a worthwhile, but an NBA team should absolutely be able to waste $5mil per year and a roster space on a 5 year old.

Hollywood hires child actors.

I think that's what they do in European soccer. Manchester United will see a 9-year old tearing it up, and they will sign him and put him in their camp. Most of the youngsters never make it, but they are signed from a very young age.

So instead of the NBA being punished for the NBA being stupid, we are going to create rules to punish 18 year olds.

To me that doesnt seem fair. This is basically like creating a rule in MLB that no teams can sign Japanese players unless they play 1 year in the minors first, because to many MLB teams were making bad decisions about Japanese players.

Thats on the hundred million dollar organization for being stupid. Why should the kid who just got paid generational wealth be the one to blame? He made the smart decision, he got paid before people realized he sucked.

Thats called being smart, the NBA just doesnt want to have to think.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
So instead of the NBA being punished for the NBA being stupid, we are going to create rules to punish 18 year olds.

To me that doesnt seem fair. This is basically like creating a rule in MLB that no teams can sign Japanese players unless they play 1 year in the minors first, because to many MLB teams were making bad decisions about Japanese players.

Thats on the hundred million dollar organization for being stupid. Why should the kid who just got paid generational wealth be the one to blame? He made the smart decision, he got paid before people realized he sucked.

Thats called being smart, the NBA just doesnt want to have to think.

I don't see how Nerlens Noel was punished by being given a free ride for a year of college.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
I think that's what they do in European soccer. Manchester United will see a 9-year old tearing it up, and they will sign him and put him in their camp. Most of the youngsters never make it, but they are signed from a very young age.

Not just in Europe but in South America as well.

But the way to prevent the abuse, is to force the team to actually use a roster space on the talent. No one is drafting a 6 year old and using a roster space on them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Not just in Europe but in South America as well.

But the way to prevent the abuse, is to force the team to actually use a roster space on the talent. No one is drafting a 6 year old and using a roster space on them.

Allowing parents to sign over a minor's future employment options (restricted to play for that team) seems like a potential issue.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
He otherwise would have been making millions instead of wasting everyone's time taking classes for two semesters.

He could have chosen to get paid plenty of money to play overseas. He chose the national spotlight and the p**** train. Ok, the p**** train would have happened overseas, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
I don't see how Nerlens Noel was punished by being given a free ride for a year of college.

Steve,

You are looking for a new job right?

Imagine if before you could get your new job, they told you that you had to take mind altering drugs for the next year, and while 90% of the time it did nothing and youll be fine, 10% of the time it made you useless and youll get no job.

Would you think thats fair?

Or would you just prefer to be paid today, instead of taking the 10% chance that you wont be employable next year?

I cant imagine youd prefer the no reward complete risk option.

Because lets be honest 1 year of college isnt even worth $1mil, let alone $10mil which is what he could have gotten for the life of just 1 contract.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
He could have chosen to get paid plenty of money to play overseas. He chose the national spotlight and the p**** train. Ok, the p**** train would have happened overseas, too.

Playing overseas is not a viable option. Many times they force them to sign multi year contracts with buyouts that become difficult. Furthermore they are going to a foreign country, where they dont speak the language, where they are likely ill equipped to succeed.

No I dont think we should be forcing 18 year olds to go to Europe, just because the NBA is to stupid to rein in its drafting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)

Right, he could have left the country for a year to go make less money than he would if he were allowed to play in the NBA. Why does that make any sense? If NBA teams were drafting s*** HS talent for a few years, that's on them. They got by for years without having this age restriction.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Steve,

You are looking for a new job right?

Imagine if before you could get your new job, they told you that you had to take mind altering drugs for the next year, and while 90% of the time it did nothing and youll be fine, 10% of the time it made you useless and youll get no job.

Would you think thats fair?

Or would you just prefer to be paid today, instead of taking the 10% chance that you wont be employable next year?

I cant imagine youd prefer the no reward complete risk option.

Because lets be honest 1 year of college isnt even worth $1mil, let alone $10mil which is what he could have gotten for the life of just 1 contract.

This is the dumbest, most irrelevant post I've read in awhile.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
Right, he could have left the country for a year to go make less money than he would if he were allowed to play in the NBA. Why does that make any sense? If NBA teams were drafting s*** HS talent for a few years, that's on them. They got by for years without having this age restriction.

He's not allowed to play in the NBA. He could also legally have alcoholic beverages in Europe, something he's not allowed to do here. It's obvious that outside of Lebron James, no one can evaluate high schoolers, so f***'em. God forbid they get a year of free college or paid to play overseas.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
This is the dumbest, most irrelevant post I've read in awhile.

No its the best post, because not 1 person in this thread as an 18 year old would have liked to have been told:

"You cant get paid $10million dollars because we have an arbitrary rule, so you have to play next year at a risk to yourself and potentially not get the $10mil."

Thats just insane.

I have zero problem with it. It makes the hiring process more accurate and forces these guys to have something that resembles a real world experience before they're left on their own in the NBA. The NBA wants grown men and this makes you prove you can live without your parents for at least a year. As a human being, it benefits you immensely even if you do not graduate. If you get hurt, you're being paid to go to school so you'll still be better off than your average joe.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
I have zero problem with it. It makes the hiring process more accurate and forces these guys to have something that resembles a real world experience before they're left on their own in the NBA. The NBA wants grown men and this makes you prove you can live without your parents for at least a year. As a human being, it benefits you immensely even if you do not graduate. If you get hurt, you're being paid to go to school so you'll still be better off than your average joe.

But this isnt true.

If a 20 year old, who lived with his parents, never went to HS, was the best basketball player in the world, he could be drafted.

If he cant read, he can be drafted.

It has nothing to do with preparing these kids. Otherwise there would be a MERIT requirement.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
He's not allowed to play in the NBA.

Yeah, but why, and does it make sense? Just repeating the rule back to me isn't saying anything.

He could also legally have alcoholic beverages in Europe, something he's not allowed to do here.

Speaking of irrelevant...

It's obvious that outside of Lebron James, no one can evaluate high schoolers, so f***'em.

Well, there's Kobe, Garnett, Howard and others. But if they can't evaluate HS talent, then a good GM shouldn't draft them. Problem solved.

God forbid they get a year of free college or paid to play overseas.

Like I said, if they were paid a decent chunk of the billions of dollars they generate for the NCAA, I wouldn't really care. Really, I have a much bigger issue with the NCAA than the NBA's rule. I just think the NBA's rule reinforces what's wrong with the NCAA.

If the NFL allowed teams to draft 18 year olds, don't you think they'd develop a minor league system (either in conjunction with the AFL or independently or otherwise) and that they'd expand the draft? Increase it to 20 rounds and allow for like 47 man rosters for the NFML

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
If the NFL allowed teams to draft 18 year olds, don't you think they'd develop a minor league system (either in conjunction with the AFL or independently or otherwise) and that they'd expand the draft? Increase it to 20 rounds and allow for like 47 man rosters for the NFML

Most likely, and this very well could give those kids a better chance at succeeding than 1 year of college.

It would be interesting to see the success rate of baseball players who went to college versus those who went to the minors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)

So why can't the NBA draft "grown men" (is a 19 year old college superstar a "grown man"? I know I was still immature as hell my sophomore year) without a hard rule against the occasional HS draftee?

They're not being paid to go to school, they're getting a full scholarship for a year and then, if they were good enough to be drafted right out of HS, they'll be gone. They're not there for the classes, and if they are injured to the point that their NBA career is gone, then they'll be losing their athletic scholarship as well. If they were actually being paid appropriately for the revenue they generate, that'd be different.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
Yeah, but why, and does it make sense? Just repeating the rule back to me isn't saying anything.

Speaking of irrelevant...

Well, there's Kobe, Garnett, Howard and others. But if they can't evaluate HS talent, then a good GM shouldn't draft them. Problem solved.

Like I said, if they were paid a decent chunk of the billions of dollars they generate for the NCAA, I wouldn't really care. Really, I have a much bigger issue with the NCAA than the NBA's rule. I just think the NBA's rule reinforces what's wrong with the NCAA.

They are compensated, not only with their "education," room and board, food, perks, etc. but also by the free marketing/advertising they get for their future careers (speaking to the "stars" of college athletics.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Most likely, and this very well could give those kids a better chance at succeeding than 1 year of college.

It would be interesting to see the success rate of baseball players who went to college versus those who went to the minors.

Studies have indicated that high schoolers are boom/bust with much higher ceilings overall while college players typically are safer players with lesser ceilings. I also believe they did that simply with players drafted only, so there was no Latin American influence involved.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

Kobe went 13th behind perennial greats such as Lorenzen Wright, Samaki Walker, Erick Dampier, Todd Fuller and Vitaly Potapenko. There was legitimate discussion of Dwight vs Emeka. KG went 5th.

Meanwhile, teams spent years on wasted picks like Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Darius Miles, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Jonathan Bender, DeSagna Diop, Robert Swift, Martell Webster, Dorrell Wright, Leon Smith, DeShawn Stevenson, Travis Outlaw, Ndudi Ebi, Robert Swift, Sebastian Telfair, CJ Miles - all the while the product on the floor suffered. Meanwhile, we're in the midst of one of the best eras of entertainment the NBA has ever seen, but Nerlens Noel clumsily flies into a basketball hoop and now the rules have to go back to that garbage? Pass. s*** happens.

Edited by Steve9347