Kind of cool from a small time D1 College B-Ball program

Texsox

Last night was my local universities basketball homecoming game so the missus and I headed over there. It was the 50th anniversary of our NAIA National Tournament win so a lot of the guys from that team where there. They also finally retired Luke Jackson's jersey. The guy was the tourny MVP, 1st round pick by the Philly 76ers, NBA All-Star, NBA Champ, Olympic gold medalist. It only took about 40 extra years to honor the man. He seemed very gracious.

This is also the last season before we jump to the Western Athletic Conference and a chance at a autobid to the NCAA tournament. Moving up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
UT-PA? A kid from NWI will be going down there for basketball next year.

That be my school. In addition to the NAIA Title and a NIT bid in 1981 the other claim to fame is Lon Kruger got his coaching start here and Mr Indiana Basketball Delray Brooks torpedoed his coaching career here.

We are set to merge the school with another smaller UT campus about 60 miles away and adding a medical school. The new university will be eligible for $$$$ through a state program for 'new' universities.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
That be my school. In addition to the NAIA Title and a NIT bid in 1981 the other claim to fame is Lon Kruger got his coaching start here and Mr Indiana Basketball Delray Brooks torpedoed his coaching career here.

We are set to merge the school with another smaller UT campus about 60 miles away and adding a medical school. The new university will be eligible for $$$$ through a state program for 'new' universities.

Michigan City's Rogers own Delray Brooks. One of three Mr Basketballs from MC.

FWIW, this is the kid.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketba...cob-raspopovich

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Michigan City's Rogers own Delray Brooks. One of three Mr Basketballs from MC.

FWIW, this is the kid.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketba...cob-raspopovich

Cool. I remembered seeing his name and was going to ask you about him. It's kind of weird but UTPA always seems to have a guy or two from Chicago and a German or two.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Cool. I remembered seeing his name and was going to ask you about him. It's kind of weird but UTPA always seems to have a guy or two from Chicago and a German or two.

A solid, headsy guard. Really he is a way better quarterback, and people were shocked when he signed a basketball LOI>

Really? The only football we play here is spelled s-o-c-c-e-r and it starts in 2014. I'm interested in how recruiting will go starting next season. With the change to a conference with an automatic bid, conference games will actually matter. The Great West is a joke. Little more than an agreement to schedule games. The WAC isn't the best, but will force the team to get better or suffer.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Really? The only football we play here is spelled s-o-c-c-e-r and it starts in 2014. I'm interested in how recruiting will go starting next season. With the change to a conference with an automatic bid, conference games will actually matter. The Great West is a joke. Little more than an agreement to schedule games. The WAC isn't the best, but will force the team to get better or suffer.

He is an OK guard, but a great QB. Like I said, it came as a surprise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
He is an OK guard, but a great QB. Like I said, it came as a surprise.

If he has pro aspirations, it probably ain't gonna happen from here. Interesting. I've always wondered how a kid winds up here. It is D1 so they don't suck.