2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Seeing what you want, Price is yelling then Hallion (likely) says something as we can't see, then Price starts yelling again.

I already explained why, go back and read the other post.

Price kept it going after the inning. He's going to get a response. Hallion responded because of 1) the body language after the pitch and then 2) Price b****ing about if afterwards. Tell Price to move on.

It looks like that had already happened. If Price doesn't stop he gets ejected. The umpire should never yell at a player. He tells him to stop it, then eject him if it continues. There is no room in a game for the umpire to do this.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 1, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
It looks like that had already happened. If Price doesn't stop he gets ejected. The umpire should never yell at a player. He tells him to stop it, then eject him if it continues. There is no room in a game for the umpire to do this.

Price was yelling as he went off the field, hell he was still yelling in the dugout.

Then it's taken to Twitter.

Umpires can certainly yell at players or managers.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Price was yelling as he went off the field, hell he was still yelling in the dugout.

Then it's taken to Twitter.

Umpires can certainly yell at players or managers.

They shouldn't. They should tell the offender to stop it, or explain their actions or call if that was the discussion.

If it's arguing balls and strikes the player/manager gets a warning then they are ejected.

There is no room for an official to yell and lose his temper. The umpire should be disciplined if this is the case.

At no time should a person whose job it is to keep the game under control, lose his control. It will be detrimental to that game and have an effect on the outcome.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 1, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
They shouldn't. They should tell the offender to stop it, or explain their actions or call if that was the discussion.

If it's arguing balls and strikes the player/manager gets a warning then they are ejected.

There is no room for an official to yell and lose his temper. The umpire should be disciplined if this is the case.

At no time should a person whose job it is to keep the game under control, lose his control. It will be detrimental to that game and have an effect on the outcome.

The only information we have is that Hallion said one line. We don't know exactly what was said, only what Price claims he said. Even so, who knows if he was "yelling." Even if he was, it's not a big deal. After all, they weren't right next to each other.

Umpires, managers, and players have back-and-forth throughout a game as circumstances permit. Sometimes those confrontations are louder and more intense than others.

Do you really think if a person is yelling a police officer, the police officer isn't allowed to yell back?

I just don't see saying a line to a player as "losing temper" or "getting out of control." It's not like he ran up to him, yelled at him for 30 seconds, shoved him, etc.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
The only information we have is that Hallion said one line. We don't know exactly what was said, only what Price claims he said. Even so, who knows if he was "yelling." Even if he was, it's not a big deal. After all, they weren't right next to each other.

Umpires, managers, and players have back-and-forth throughout a game as circumstances permit. Sometimes those confrontations are louder and more intense than others.

Do you really think if a person is yelling a police officer, the police officer isn't allowed to yell back?

I just don't see saying a line to a player as "losing temper" or "getting out of control." It's not like he ran up to him, yelled at him for 30 seconds, shoved him, etc.

There is variations depending on the intensity of the situation. The police officer should not yell back and escalate the situation. This will only cause the situation to get worse. If one member of the incident remains calm it won't escalate to a problem. I'm not saying they don't but it just makes things worse. In a baseball game, the umpire's actions should be reviewed if the situation escalates. He is supposed to keep control. He is human and it doesn't always happen but if it does disciplinary actions should arise.

In my classroom if a student starts complaining about how they don't see the relevance of the material (I use this example because I get it all the time) I explain how it fits in the clinical picture in the long run. I don't start complaining about how this is the way it is and they should shut up and listen. There are correct ways to handle confrontations. Escalating the incident is always the wrong way in this scenario.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:05 AM)
Good thing they shut Strasburg down in September.

I said it last year, you never know in baseball. That could have been their only chance to win a title for years as far we know. Seems like Stras was going to get hurt either way. Even if he was tired there's a mental aspect of having your ACE going for you, not only to pump up his teammates, but to dishearten the opponent. And in October the real special ones shine, if Stras was there, even gassed I'm willing to bet he might have been able to dominate given the chance... but nope, had to baby him and now he's hurt anyway. Way to go Rizzo!

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 1, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
There is variations depending on the intensity of the situation. The police officer should not yell back and escalate the situation. This will only cause the situation to get worse. If one member of the incident remains calm it won't escalate to a problem.

Wrong.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Cops are never supposed to yell back. That just elevates the situation to more potential violence.

They stay firm, then let their actions or their taser do the talking.

There are most definitely times to raise voices/yell. And you certainly can't tase someone for yelling.

What about a teacher yelling back?

Tex talked about it. Have always had the idea once you lose your temper, get upset or let a student get to you...no matter what happens, you've already lost the confrontation before it has even ended.

Although the police officer analogy is better.

Once students know they can upset a teacher or get them to stop teaching the content/material and instead argue with the students, then they've "won" and know they can continue to get the teacher's goat until he cracks or does something really crazy, like throwing a chair (saw this many times in public schools) or something even worse to show that they were not to be messed with...

Of course, you can only go to this well so often, or it loses it effectiveness.

There's a saying in teaching, you can either be feared and loved, but it's very hard to be both. Of course, respected and loved would be the ideal...

It's not a good analogy. Teaching is not the same as umpiring, or even policing. Umpires and cops aren't trying to teach anybody, it's only about enforcing rules and keeping people in line. They are pure authority figures. Teachers have to get students to trust them and listen to them. Umpires and police offers don't need anyone's trust for anything. They are in charge and have ways to dole out serious punishment.

Also, bulls*** that cops aren't supposed to yell.

"Excuse me kind sir, you need to drop your weapon and lie on the ground. Please don't make me raise my voice."

Crowd control? They don't yell? Now we're just making s*** up.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Hurts me to admit that Clay Bucholtz is killing it this year. Always felt he was a tad overrated because of his uni and got loads of run support, but he is pretty much dominating so far this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9234846/...ion-sources-say

Major League Baseball has fined umpire Tom Hallion and Tampa Bay Rays pitchers David Price, Jeremy Hellickson and Matt Moore an unspecified amount for their involvement in an incident during this past Sunday's game against the Chicago White Sox, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.com.

Price accused Hallion of swearing at him in the seventh inning after the ace left-hander showed frustration on the mound in reaction to a pitch he thought the umpire had missed.

The dispute escalated, Price claimed, after Hallion told him to "throw the (expletive) ball over the plate."

After Price recounted the sequence of events following the game, Hallion denied cursing and called the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner a "liar" during an interview with a pool reporter.

MLB vice president Joe Torre dispensed his punishment after reviewing the incident with the assistance of Peter Woodfork, who oversees MLB umpires, and Joe Garagiola, who handles player discipline.

A source said Hallion received a fine for his role in the confrontation along with his postgame language. Price, Hellickson and Moore were fined for their critical comments of Hallion on Twitter.

Major League Baseball's social media policy prohibits players from "displaying or transmitting content that questions the impartiality of or otherwise denigrates a major league umpire."

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Yeah, I don't know if I believe that. Like one of the comments says, how do you not notice that a ball almost drilled you in the head until you see the picture to send it out? She should have known the second it smashed in to something a few feet away from her.

My problem is it looks like the ball is barely moving, you can clearly see the stitches on the ball. If she is taking a selfie and a homerun is hit over the green monster next to her head, you would think the ball would look like a blur

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
My problem is it looks like the ball is barely moving, you can clearly see the stitches on the ball. If she is taking a selfie and a homerun is hit over the green monster next to her head, you would think the ball would look like a blur

How fast is the exposure when using instagram on an iphone?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

There was footage a few years ago when someone on the Cubs hit a walkoff homer. It hit a guy in the Wrigley bleachers right on top of the head. He was too busy talking to his friend to have any clue what was going on in the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
MLBRosterMoves MLBRosterMoves ‏@MLBRosterMoves 1h

The @Rockies and RHP Roy Oswalt agree to Minor League deal.

Back in the NL at least. He was just a disaster in the AL last year.