2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
Juan Uribe doing DAMAGAEEEE for the Dodgers.

Just hit a 2 run homer to take a 2-0 lead off Bumgarner.

Never think of him as nothing but a White Sox guy.....Was quite underrated.

I like Juan. Were the Sox just not interested in keeping him when his contract ran out? SF got him cheap, 1 year for $1M.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 05:29 AM)
I like Juan. Were the Sox just not interested in keeping him when his contract ran out? SF got him cheap, 1 year for $1M.

IIRC, he was a little mad when the Sox traded for Orlando Cabrera and moved him to second.

I remember after Crede went down sometime in July of 08', they started Juan at third.

I never minded Juan, I thought it was cool that he played a solid short and around 20 bombs a year. (When I was younger the only offensive stat I cared about was home runs).

And remember, the Sox had Josh Fields in the minors who had swatted 23 home runs in 2007.

Juan's last three years with the Sox he put up OPS of 698, 678, and 682. He has one amazing year about every five years with lots of sucking in between.

Somewhere, Ozzie Guillen is weeping...

“I'm walking away from the game with the respect of every teammate I've ever played with. That's all I've ever wanted when I was done.”

—Padres outfielder Mark Kotsay, who announced his intention to retire at the end of the 2013 season. (Corey Brock, MLB.com)

“At the end of the season, you evaluate how you feel moving forward. This year, I've just felt the time is right. Mentally and physically, the grind of the season has become more difficult. I'm at peace where I'm at in my life.”

—Kotsay

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Somewhere, Ozzie Guillen is weeping...

“I'm walking away from the game with the respect of every teammate I've ever played with. That's all I've ever wanted when I was done.”

—Padres outfielder Mark Kotsay, who announced his intention to retire at the end of the 2013 season. (Corey Brock, MLB.com)

“At the end of the season, you evaluate how you feel moving forward. This year, I've just felt the time is right. Mentally and physically, the grind of the season has become more difficult. I'm at peace where I'm at in my life.”

—Kotsay

- and, I have a really hot wife that I would like to spend more time with

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
Juan's last three years with the Sox he put up OPS of 698, 678, and 682. He has one amazing year about every five years with lots of sucking in between.

Juan's value was in his defense and versatility. The Sox paid Ozuna more in 2008 than Uribe got in 2009.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
Anyone catch Nick Punto's head-first slide last night? Nothing new, you say?? Well, he did so on a single to center field.

#grindy

http://www.dodgersnation.com/gif-dodgers-n...ield/2013/09/17

have you read the Oral History of Nick Punto Sliding Into First?

http://www.twinkietown.com/2013/1/4/383303...into-first-base

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1h

Mariners majority owner Hiroshi Yamauchi has died, according to reports. His purchase of the team two decades ago saved MLB in Seattle.

...and he never attended a Mariners game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Dodgers clinch the first playoff berth, so much for developing young talent and not spending gobs of money. Although I find them likable for some reason.

Loved their celebration and Brandon McCarthy's reaction to it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Loved their celebration and Brandon McCarthy's reaction to it.

I'll disagree with you here. I'm sure most people love the celebration, because they aren't Dbacks fans. I guarantee the Tigers win the division and jump in a pool at the cell, people would be going crazy.

I found it to be a bit classless.

But, it just further underscores the point that baseball celebrations are absolutely ridiculous. Clinch the playoffs? OMG GIANT CHAMPAGNE PARTY LIKE WE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Win a wild card play-in game? OMG A GIANT CHAMPAGNE PARTY LIKE WE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Repeat up to 3 more times.

Win the world series? Same exact party we've already done 3-4 times. It's so silly, every single time.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 01:28 AM)
18 innings and nearly 7 hours at the Trop probably qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment in some states despite the fact that it was a win against a Baltimore team that is nipping at TB's heels in the Wild Card race.

Games like this kill both teams win or lose. And of course they have a day game today.

The Indians are going to host the play-in game. Will they fill the park?

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Games like this kill both teams win or lose. And of course they have a day game today.

The Indians are going to host the play-in game. Will they fill the park?

The stupid roster expansion rules make it much easier to deal with.