2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
The Wild Card game needs to be a best of three series.

I would like the one game play-in more if they went to no divisions and a more balanced schedule. It seems unfair for the Pirates to have their season come down to one game when they won 94 games, and the Dodgers won 92 games--and they automatically move on to the best-of-5.

If I knew the Play-In Game was the true 4th and 5th seed, I wouldn't feel bad for the loser of that game. But if the Pirates lose tonight, I would feel bad for them because it's possible they were one of the three best teams in the NL. The Dodgers were just in the right division.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
I get racist hate mail, nobody likes a black man in charge, I also let myself get fired for my hitting coach.

He's had many managerial jobs in his past.

Even though there is a dearth of black MLB managers right now, race has nothing to do with employment, just results.

Baker won (but he kills pitching staffs)

Frank Robinson did well.

Don Baylor and Hal McRae both won.

Cito Gaston has two titles.

Ron Washington has been very good.

Bo Porter is handcuffed.

Jerry Manuel was good enough to get multiple jobs.

Felipe Alou was a genius.

Am I the only one who thought Theo and Co. were so pompous believing Girardi would leave the Yankees and disrupt his family's lives to jump at a chance to manage the loser Cubs? I think it was a thank you for the extra cash they made him for being interested that he didn't sign with the Yankees 5 seconds after they made the offer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Am I the only one who thought Theo and Co. were so pompous believing Girardi would leave the Yankees and disrupt his family's lives to jump at a chance to manage the loser Cubs? I think it was a thank you for the extra cash they made him for being interested that he didn't sign with the Yankees 5 seconds after they made the offer.

Yes. I think they knew he would never come to the Cubs and wanted it as an excuse for fans to use when the rebuild keeps failing under their not first choice manager. Keeps the pressure off of Theo because he couldn't "get his guy."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)

From what I had read, Girardi wasn't really Theo's top choice. This was more Ricketts & Crane Kenney having wanted Girardi in the past and looking for the biggest name.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
From what I had read, Girardi wasn't really Theo's top choice. This was more Ricketts & Crane Kenney having wanted Girardi in the past and looking for the biggest name.

If Theo is losing the baseball decision battle to Ricketts and Crane, the Cubs are going to be bad for a very long time.