2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't think Quentin gives a s*** if he is suspended 2-3 games or whatever it may be. Talk s***, get hit, Greinke's learned his lesson.

Yeah, this is meathead logic. This is a microcosm of how people end up in jail and dead in a gutter. "Well he shouldn'ta looked at me like that."

I understand both sides of this. Greinke shouldn't have thrown, Quentin shouldn't have charged, this is all really stupid.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
LOL at Greinke being the saint in this situation. Like Q said, if Greinke doesn't talk s*** to him, nothing happens. You run your mouth, and no one feels bad for you when get hit. See example: Pierzynski, A.J.

If you shrug it off and hit a game winning homer off him later in the game, you're a hero and you can talk more s***.

TCQ should have just moved on and played. I still miss the guy and wish he were in Chicago, but just look straight forward and play the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Yeah, this is meathead logic. This is a microcosm of how people end up in jail and dead in a gutter. "Well he shouldn'ta looked at me like that."

I understand both sides of this. Greinke shouldn't have thrown, Quentin shouldn't have charged, this is all really stupid.

Except instead of "looking at me like that", it's "This guy continues to throw s*** at me, and then when I stand up for myself, he has the nerve to say something s***ty to me."

Greinke deserved to get charged, but not get his collarbone broken, that was a fluke.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
And he hit 6 of the previous 1600 guys he faced. This isn't a guy that's wild and accidentally loses one.

Next, when Quentin stares him down, all he has to do is give a slightly apologetic wave or circle the mound or ask for a baseball from the ump - anything to avoid making eye contact with Quentin. Pitchers do this thing all the time. His demeanor after hitting him tells me he had intention of doing so, and the fact that he immediately went into fight mode, rather than trying to defend himself, further cements that idea in my mind.

Regarding Quentin charging, it's not acceptable. I never said it was.

If Joe Blow is 5'10'', 150, and drunk, and he starts messing with Randy Bobandi, who is 6'2'', 220, and sober with a short temper, are people going to feel sorry for Joe Blow when he was the one that stirred the pot? I don't. I mean, what Randy did wasn't acceptable, and he should have kept his cool, but sometimes you lose it in the heat of the moment like that. It's not right, but I understand it.

EDIT: I misread that last part. I have no idea why it's acceptable. I think it's a territorial thing of home plate, and then guys come out to defend their teammate or break up the fight. Then other guys get riled up and it gets worse. It's stupid.

RE: your edit. Yeah, that wasn't meant towards you, just a separate conversation.

It happens way too often. I feel like you can see this once a week on the highlights - at least benches cleared, not always charging the mound. It really doesn't make a lot of sense why it's "OK" to do it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Except instead of "looking at me like that", it's "This guy continues to throw s*** at me, and then when I stand up for myself, he has the nerve to say something s***ty to me."

Greinke deserved to get charged, but not get his collarbone broken, that was a fluke.

No. Nobody deserves to get charged. I don't feel bad for him because, quite frankly, Greinke seems like a d-bag, but charging the mound is stupid as hell and solves literally nothing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
No. Nobody deserves to get charged. I don't feel bad for him because, quite frankly, Greinke seems like a d-bag, but charging the mound is stupid as hell and solves literally nothing.

Well agree to disagree, because I think if someone continues to hit you and then have the audacity to talk s*** to you about it, you get what comes to you. It's a shame AJ never got the chance to charge Padilla.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Well agree to disagree, because I think if someone continues to hit you and then have the audacity to talk s*** to you about it, you get what comes to you. It's a shame AJ never got the chance to charge Padilla.

AJ never had the testicular fortitude to get past talking to do something about that...

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Presuming to know what somebody's intentions are is not stating a fact.

My original post you quoted stated a fact.

Do you know Greinke? How do you know that his intentions were to hit him?

Can't talk about what you think someone did unless you know them. Duly noted. Hey witesoxfan, unless you know Greinke, you shouldn't talk about him either!

This is a message board where we talk about opinions as well, right?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
My original post you quoted stated a fact.

Do you know Greinke? How do you know that his intentions were to hit him?

Can't talk about what you think someone did unless you know them. Duly noted. Hey witesoxfan, unless you know Greinke, you shouldn't talk about him either!

This is a message board where we talk about opinions as well, right?

Well, for 1, I never claimed to know his intentions. Never said one thing about it either way.

Also, obviously we can talk about opinions. You claiming to know why Greinke mouthed off is an opinion, however you are claiming it to be a fact.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
What exactly should he have done? Run? Duck and get slammed into the ground?

If the twig on the mound was Sale instead of Greinke, I'd be hoping out loud that he turns and runs far away in the other direction from the crazy man making his way towards him. I don't care what kind of cat noises coming from opposing dugouts follow him around for the rest of his career (maybe it even gets him a few bucks via a sponsorship deal with Vagisil).

If the twig was Greinke and his absurd contract that he just signed over the winter, and I'm Don Mattingly, I run out in front of Quentin as fast as I can so as to impede his progress.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
LOL OMG A-ROD TRIED TO PURCHASE THE DOCS THAT PROVED HE'S A CHEAT

According to Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times, MLB has uncovered evidence that a representative of Alex Rodriguez arranged to purchase documents from Biogenesis.

https://twitter.com/MichaelSSchmidt/status/...808371520614400

:lol:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)

According to Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times, MLB has uncovered evidence that a representative of Alex Rodriguez arranged to purchase documents from Biogenesis.

34oepm0.jpg

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
If the twig on the mound was Sale instead of Greinke, I'd be hoping out loud that he turns and runs far away in the other direction from the crazy man making his way towards him. I don't care what kind of cat noises coming from opposing dugouts follow him around for the rest of his career (maybe it even gets him a few bucks via a sponsorship deal with Vagisil).

If the twig was Greinke and his absurd contract that he just signed over the winter, and I'm Don Mattingly, I run out in front of Quentin as fast as I can so as to impede his progress.

Greinke has been a head hunter for years, especially against the Sox. I wasnt surprised he stood there and tried to take a hit. He thinks he's more badass than he really is.

And Konerko did an entire interview today backing up Quentin in the situation. I wonder if that will change the minds of the people who think Greinke is a saint here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Jesus, ARod is a bigger joke than Barry Bonds

Barry was funny because in those last two years he basically was like "F U. I dont care that you know im roiding. Watch me hit another pitch into the ocean"

Arod has done nothing but repeatedly get caught lying, and on top of that his performance has fallen through the floor.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)

f***ing brilliant.