2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

When did Blown Saves start to get awarded to relievers who give up the lead prior to the 9th inning? I noticed Ryan Matthues was given a BLOWN SAVE a couple days ago when he allowed a run in the 7th inning. Wouldn't that be more like a Blown Hold or something? Is it really assuming he would have pitched the final 3 innings of the game?

But in the case of David Robertson, he was given a BS when he came in to a game with 7 1/3 outs already completed, so he wouldn't have pitched the final 3 innings, because there were only 2 2/3 IP left in a 9-inning game.

And Uehara of KC got a blown save for allowing a run in the 8th.

Is this normal???

Edited by Chilihead90

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
When did Blown Saves start to get awarded to relievers who give up the lead prior to the 9th inning? I noticed Ryan Matthues was given a BLOWN SAVE a couple days ago when he allowed a run in the 7th inning. Wouldn't that be more like a Blown Hold or something? Is it really assuming he would have pitched the final 3 innings of the game?

But in the case of David Robertson, he was given a BS when he came in to a game with 7 1/3 outs already completed, so he wouldn't have pitched the final 3 innings, because there were only 2 2/3 IP left in a 9-inning game.

And Uehara of KC got a blown save for allowing a run in the 8th.

Is this normal???

Starts in any "save situation" from the 7th inning on...that's why Matt Thornton had lots of them in the past couple of years, even if they were in the 7th and usually 8th inning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:07 AM)
Starts in any "save situation" from the 7th inning on...that's why Matt Thornton had lots of them in the past couple of years, even if they were in the 7th and usually 8th inning.

I guess I never consider a reliever can pitch the 8th and 9th innings and get the save. So accustomed to saves of 3 or less outs that it's weird to see a blown save given to a middle reliever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1h

The career line of Mario Mendoza, considered the worst hitter ever .215/.245/.262. Through 19 games, the Marlins as a team: .212/.271/.286.

Mario Mendoza is not the worst hitter ever. So irritating to consistently hear such nonsense.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:35 AM)
I guess I never consider a reliever can pitch the 8th and 9th innings and get the save. So accustomed to saves of 3 or less outs that it's weird to see a blown save given to a middle reliever.

The worst is when people quote blown save stats for middle relievers. Almost of their appearances, they can't get a save, but they can get a blown save. It tells you nothing.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
Remember when Red Sox and Yankees were suppose to suck?

And look at this lineup the Yankees threw out there last night:

Brett Gardner CF

Ben Francisco DH

Robinson Cano 2B

Vernon Wells LF

Francisco Cervelli C

Brennan Boesch RF

Eduardo Nunez SS

Lyle Overbay 1B

Jayson Nix 3B

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 06:26 AM)
The worst is when people quote blown save stats for middle relievers. Almost of their appearances, they can't get a save, but they can get a blown save. It tells you nothing.

Well, it tells you that they gave up the lead. A save doesn't really tell much either except that the pitcher made the last out of the game.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
Well, it tells you that they gave up the lead. A save doesn't really tell much either except that the pitcher made the last out of the game.

I agree, but I should have specified that I was referring to blown save percentage stats. Jesse Crain has 4 career saves and 23 blown saves, that doesn't mean he only converts 14.8% of the time. If you add in his 109 holds, that makes him 113/136 (83.1%), which tells you much more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Comiskey Park Hitmen ‏@CPHSox 6m

Former #WhiteSox Pitchers starting today: Bartolo Colon for the A's, Jon Garland for the Rockies and Clayton Richard for the Padres. FYI.

Sweaty Freddy is facing Charlotte tonight.

Comiskey Park Hitmen ‏@CPHSox 6m

Former #WhiteSox Pitchers starting today: Bartolo Colon for the A's, Jon Garland for the Rockies and Clayton Richard for the Padres. FYI.

One of these days, I need to head down the street and check out Mike MacDougal.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
Mario Mendoza is not the worst hitter ever. So irritating to consistently hear such nonsense.

Yeah, come on, Passan should understand the definition and implications of the Mendoza line. I really don't like Passan the past few years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 6m

Billingsley To Undergo Tommy John Surgery http://bit.ly/11KUW0e

i could so see this happening AT the trade deadline; Floyd (to repleace billingsley), lexi because they need a SS/3B badly (even after hanley comes back Cruz is horrible), matty T, FOR Corey Seager

what say you? dogers say yes? or no way they give up seager for that package? Dodgers can take all the salary without worry and in complete win now mode

Edited by bshah723

If the Sox are giving up that much, they need to get someone who is a little more established than Corey Seager, and I don't know that the Dodgers want to give up on their high school draftee one year after drafting him.

The Sox and Dodgers would definitely be a fit down the road, if it comes to that, but I think you're looking at different prospects. Colletti definitely has no problem trading away prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
If the Sox are giving up that much, they need to get someone who is a little more established than Corey Seager, and I don't know that the Dodgers want to give up on their high school draftee one year after drafting him.

The Sox and Dodgers would definitely be a fit down the road, if it comes to that, but I think you're looking at different prospects. Colletti definitely has no problem trading away prospects.

The Dodgers also make great sense as a trade target because with all the high dollar vets they brought in, they have to be blocking some kids.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)

zach LEEEEEE

but with the emergence of guys like johnson, snod, beck, we def need some hitting prospects (esp INF)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
The Dodgers also make great sense as a trade target because with all the high dollar vets they brought in, they have to be blocking some kids.

good, when they continue to hover around .500 lets take as much as we can from them sects wise