2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
It's not a good analogy. Teaching is not the same as umpiring, or even policing. Umpires and cops aren't trying to teach anybody, it's only about enforcing rules and keeping people in line. They are pure authority figures. Teachers have to get students to trust them and listen to them. Umpires and police offers don't need anyone's trust for anything. They are in charge and have ways to dole out serious punishment.

Also, bulls*** that cops aren't supposed to yell.

"Excuse me kind sir, you need to drop your weapon and lie on the ground. Please don't make me raise my voice."

Crowd control? They don't yell? Now we're just making s*** up.

Your example was yelling not a gun drawn. Obviously, the police needs to take action if there is already a physical threat.

However, if it is just an angry yelling individual, police are taught to reamin calm and try to calm the other person. As soon as the cops yells back it escalates.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
There are most definitely times to raise voices/yell. And you certainly can't tase someone for yelling.

You only tase when it escalates to possible violence. This occurs when both sides raise the level and physical threats appear.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm pretty sure Milkman is a cop, so he probably knows

Holy f***, if he is a cop, then I am pretty sure I could get away with anything in his town. If he pulled me over, I'd just be all, "Curt Hennig blah blah blah GREATEST EVER. That's why blah blah blah blah and he's named MR. PERFECT"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
Holy f***, if he is a cop, then I am pretty sure I could get away with anything in his town. If he pulled me over, I'd just be all, "Curt Hennig blah blah blah GREATEST EVER. That's why blah blah blah blah and he's named MR. PERFECT"

;)

Edited by Milkman delivers

You're basically taught to start low, but you should match the person at times when reasonable/necessary, or even go above them if it's necessary. It's not a solid protocol. Different situations and different personalities require various ways of handling them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm pretty sure Milkman is a cop, so he probably knows

If he is I would like to know what academy he went to. I've treated many police at all levels (local, city and state). They are always taught to defuse a situation. If physical violence is involved of course they need to act but they shouldn't instigate it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
If he is I would like to know what academy he went to. I've treated many police at all levels (local, city and state). They are always taught to defuse a situation. If physical violence is involved of course they need to act but they shouldn't instigate it.

Multiple. And you must not have read close enough.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Multiple. And you must not have read close enough.

If I read it wrong then I apologize. I read that's it's ok for a police officer to yell back at someone yelling at them. If they are physically threatened then it's not only ok but justified. However, it was all being compared to an ump yelling at a player not anyone threatening physical violence.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)
If I read it wrong then I apologize. I read that's it's ok for a police officer to yell back at someone yelling at them. If they are physically threatened then it's not only ok but justified. However, it was all being compared to an ump yelling at a player not anyone threatening physical violence.

It's definitely OK for a cop to yell back at a person in certain situations, and not just where violence is implied. There are a million different personalities in the world. Believe it or not, some people NEED to be yelled at to reach them. Of course you want to keep it low as often as possible, but that's not always an option. It's a little more complex than how you originally put it, is all I'm getting at.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2013 -> 06:17 AM)
It's definitely OK for a cop to yell back at a person in certain situations, and not just where violence is implied. There are a million different personalities in the world. Believe it or not, some people NEED to be yelled at to reach them. Of course you want to keep it low as often as possible, but that's not always an option. It's a little more complex than how you originally put it, is all I'm getting at.

If you have seen the video from the recent Reese Witherspoon arrest, it's amazing the cop kept his patience and cool the entire time.

The general public is incredibly misinformed on the things police are allowed, or even expected, to do. You'd be surprised how often people view a situation as police brutality or the like, when the officer was entirely in his legal right. The ignorance is very frustrating.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
If you have seen the video from the recent Reese Witherspoon arrest, it's amazing the cop kept his patience and cool the entire time.

Haven't seen it and don't plan to, but the officer in that situation was most likely walking on eggshells because she's famous. Like I said, the general public is incredibly ignorant and anything that looks even remotely wrong would get tons of air time because it's loveable Reese Witherspoon getting harassed by a power-tripping pig.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2013 -> 07:17 AM)

This I agree with. I didn't mean that they aren't allowed to. It is called for at times. My point was in comparison to the umpire scenario. Yelling back at someone because they are yelling is not the first option to keeping the situation controlled. The umpires purpose as with police is first to defuse the situation as much as possible. It doesn't always work with the police scenario then the situation changes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2013 -> 05:23 AM)
The general public is incredibly misinformed on the things police are allowed, or even expected, to do. You'd be surprised how often people view a situation as police brutality or the like, when the officer was entirely in his legal right. The ignorance is very frustrating.

I agree, Milk, but I've encountered many officers who act as incredibly surprised that I am aware of my legal rights. I can't tell you how many times I have been encountered by an officer for whatever reason, and acted entirely polite, but also with a full knowledge of my legal rights, only to be badgered or called a smart ass, or treated harshly because I actually know what the police are and are not allowed to ask of me. Many, many officers are not exactly "sharp" on criminal procedure and thus tend to get nervous and defensive when they encounter a citizen who actually is aware of what an officer can and cannot ask of him.