2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-174036471.html

Jeremy Affeldt makes $6 million a year pitching for the San Francisco Giants, and reportedly has grossed at least $30 million since joining the major leagues in 2002. But all of that money hasn't gone to his head. And some of it didn't even stay in his bank account, once Affeldt realized it wasn't his to keep.

Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle examined Tuesday what happened when Affeldt discovered in 2010 that he was being overpaid $500,000 because of a clerical error the Giants made when typing up his contract:

Affeldt got three opinions saying the contract was ironclad and he could keep the extra $500,000, from the Players Association, agent Michael Moye and even Giants assistant general manager Bobby Evans.

Affeldt recalled Moye telling him, "You know what? As your agent I've got to tell you that legally you can keep it. As a man who represents integrity, I'm saying you should give it back."

And that's what Affeldt said he did, redoing the contract with the $500,000 excised.

"I talked to Bobby the next day and said, 'I can't take that money,' " Affeldt said. " 'I won't sleep well at night knowing I took that money because every time I open my paycheck I'll know it's not right.' "

Affeldt's two-year contract extension called for him to be paid a total of $10 million, so the unintended bonus of $500,000 represents 5 percent. That would be a significant chuck of change to Joe Average.

Schulman's note was prompted by Affeldt telling the story in a book he recently published — "To Stir a Movement" — which chronicles Affeldt's goal, as a person of faith, in defeating social injustices, most notably human trafficking.

Being overpaid by accident and keeping the money might not be as destructive of an act as slavery, but it's still a sin. And Affeldt, who identifies as a Christian, seems to be a moral person.

This might be the best example possible of why it can be OK for kids to look up to Major League Baseball players as role models. Not in the sense of trying to be a pitcher, or trying to make a lot of money. And Affeldt certainly sets a bad example at the BBQ grill, and his hugging skills sometimes fail. But he did the right thing when the time came. Everyone who has a son or daughter should hope their kid would do what Affeldt did with this kind of found money.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Before I tore my groin (ouch, by the way), receiving the ball like Krush described was by far my biggest strong suit as a catcher. It's totally underrated and I was lucky to have some great instruction from a former pro who taught me how to frame from the first time I put the gear on.

BTW, tearing my groin didn't make me bad at framing, it just turned me into a pitcher instead of catcher :P

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 15, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
So many innuendos.

I mean jesus, the entire post

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
The World Baseball Classic has turned Fernando Rodney back into Fernando Rodney, not that cyborg that pitched last year.

No one expected him to be near as good as last year but what's weird is how much he's walking opposing hitters. 15 walks in 15 IP compared to 15BB in 75 innings last year.

It's like he's either putting 4+ batters on base in an inning or 0.

On a side note, I'll be making my first appearance at Marlins Park tomorrow night. Upper deck $13 ticket but I bought the all you can eat hot dogs, popcorn,peanuts, nachos and soda for $14. Out of 656 seats in my section, only 55 tickets have been sold haha. Lots of leg room!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
This is Nolan Ryan's son

espnmlb ‏@espnmlb 45m

Reid Ryan takes over as president of Astros: Reid Ryan has been introduced as the new president of the Houston... http://es.pn/16rt2yj

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...asp?P=Reid-Ryan

Saw him pitch in 1995 in the Sally League. He didn't last very long.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-marlins...-213600974.html

This yahoo contributor network is getting out of hand.

Really, an article at the top of the page suggesting Wade LeBlanc, the last player on the roster, should be released?

Does anyone actually care?

COMMENTARY | Wade LeBlanc is the one player on the Miami Marlins that should be released immediately.

He is almost 29 years old, so he is no longer a young prospect; his numbers are terrible; and he has shown no sign of improvement throughout his career. In fact, he seems to be getting worse.

I am not sure why the Marlins keep this guy around. Not only does his fastball rarely, if ever, reach 90 mph, but it also seems like it is often a meatball right over the middle of the plate. When you throw at Greg Maddux-like speeds, you had better have some decent control or wicked movement on your pitches.

LeBlanc has neither.

It feels like the Marlins only keep him around because he is their token lefty in the rotation. Personally, I would rather not have one if LeBlanc is all they have.

Aside from his debut for the San Diego Padres in 2008, when he posted an ERA of 8.02 in 5 games and allowed opposing hitters to hit .330 off of him, this campaign is his worst statistical major-league season of his career. This year, LeBlanc is 0-5 with a 5.79 ERA. He rarely gets missed at the plate, allowing 48 hits in his 37.1 innings and an average of .310. Essentially the opposing batter who is facing LeBlanc this season becomes an All-Star.

When you are pitching for a team that averages roughly 2.8 runs scored per game, a pitcher like LeBlanc just is not going to cut it. The rest of the players would never say it, but I am sure they do not expect to win when LeBlanc takes the hill to start a game. Fortunately, LeBlanc has been removed from his starting role for now and placed in the bullpen, but I think it would be best if he was just released. His control issues will only be magnified coming out of the 'pen.

In the end, there is really no hope for this guy to be a valuable part of this team now or in the future. His numbers in the major leagues have not shown any sign of getting better. At a time when the Marlins are rebuilding and focusing on young talent, I think they should call up a promising youngster and give him a chance to show what he has rather than let LeBlanc continue to bite the dust.

Brett grew up in south Florida and has been a lifelong Marlins fan. He graduated from Florida State University with a degree in Sport Management. Follow him on Twitter @B_Zager.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-marlins...-213600974.html

This yahoo contributor network is getting out of hand.

Really, an article at the top of the page suggesting Wade LeBlanc, the last player on the roster, should be released?

Does anyone actually care?

COMMENTARY | Wade LeBlanc is the one player on the Miami Marlins that should be released immediately.

He is almost 29 years old, so he is no longer a young prospect; his numbers are terrible; and he has shown no sign of improvement throughout his career. In fact, he seems to be getting worse.

I am not sure why the Marlins keep this guy around. Not only does his fastball rarely, if ever, reach 90 mph, but it also seems like it is often a meatball right over the middle of the plate. When you throw at Greg Maddux-like speeds, you had better have some decent control or wicked movement on your pitches.

LeBlanc has neither.

It feels like the Marlins only keep him around because he is their token lefty in the rotation. Personally, I would rather not have one if LeBlanc is all they have.

Aside from his debut for the San Diego Padres in 2008, when he posted an ERA of 8.02 in 5 games and allowed opposing hitters to hit .330 off of him, this campaign is his worst statistical major-league season of his career. This year, LeBlanc is 0-5 with a 5.79 ERA. He rarely gets missed at the plate, allowing 48 hits in his 37.1 innings and an average of .310. Essentially the opposing batter who is facing LeBlanc this season becomes an All-Star.

When you are pitching for a team that averages roughly 2.8 runs scored per game, a pitcher like LeBlanc just is not going to cut it. The rest of the players would never say it, but I am sure they do not expect to win when LeBlanc takes the hill to start a game. Fortunately, LeBlanc has been removed from his starting role for now and placed in the bullpen, but I think it would be best if he was just released. His control issues will only be magnified coming out of the 'pen.

In the end, there is really no hope for this guy to be a valuable part of this team now or in the future. His numbers in the major leagues have not shown any sign of getting better. At a time when the Marlins are rebuilding and focusing on young talent, I think they should call up a promising youngster and give him a chance to show what he has rather than let LeBlanc continue to bite the dust.

Brett grew up in south Florida and has been a lifelong Marlins fan. He graduated from Florida State University with a degree in Sport Management. Follow him on Twitter @B_Zager.

Well, you do. So that is enough I suppose

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Well, you do. So that is enough I suppose

Well, it's a bit crazy to try to grab headlines at yahoo.com with "Marlins should release XYZ player"

I guess that's a new strategy in getting page views for sports fans.

It was one of the worst-written articles I've seen about baseball in a long time. The intent/content wasn't so bad, it was just the writing was like something you would expect from a high school newspaper sports section.

It would be like if you saw a full-length column recently saying that the White Sox should release Blake Tekotte or Deunte Heath.

Columns like that are only interesting if there's two sides to it. For example, if there was another compelling pitching prospect that they were stowing away in the minors to avoid his arbitration clock or whatever...but the Marlins just suck, so that's probably not the issue, as they already have Fernandez up with the big league club.

Kind of as if he only recently discovered the Marlins are a bad bad franchise and organization, and he's surprised they would carry such a player on their roster, as if they're deliberately insulting fans with his presence (not that they haven't done 10,000 other things to insult their fanbase.)

And the Marlins respond, sort of.

Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment

By Max Fogle [May 17 at 9:28pm CST]

The Marlins have announced that right-hander Jon Rauch has been designated for assignment. The move creates a spot on the 40-man roster for Duane Below, who was recently claimed off waivers from the Tigers.

Rauch signed a one-year, $1MM deal with the Marlins in February, but pitched to a 6.89 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 15 2/3 innings. The 34-year-old owns a career 3.88 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 over 594 big league innings. Before he signed with Miami, the Brewers were among the clubs with interest in Rauch.

Edited by caulfield12

As I said in another thread, Yahoo! is trying to get team beat writers without the expenditure of having a Mark Gonzalez type guy doing it full time. They've allowed a lot of people to try it out on a provisional basis, but my impression so far is that most have not been allowed to proceed to a more permanent gig. They have some wonderful writers across all sports -- their LA Lakers writer won a $1500 bonus for writer of the year last year, and that does not include just sports.

I write about more than the White Sox on there because I'm actually a freelance writer, but you can tell a few folks have joined just because they wanted to BS about their favorite team. It shows through in their writing.