2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9. Patrick Corbin has personified that this year. Always second fiddle to Tyler Skaggs as return from the Dan Haren trade, Corbin has a power sinker with improved velocity, secondary pitches that have gone from questions to weapons and greater pitchability, as evidenced by throwing first-pitch strikes to 12 percent more batters. Scouts love what they see as a new-and-improved Corbin.

"I thought he was a [No.] 4 or 5," an NL East scout said. "I've seen him twice now, and I think he's at worst a 3 and very easily could be a 2. He's got command, that sinker is a kamikaze and he's fearless."

The numbers, on the other hand, speak of a different Corbin.

They say his .259 BABIP is too low, especially for a groundball pitcher. (True.) And they say his strand rate – the percentage of players left on base at the end of innings – is absurd at 89.2 percent. (Yup. Only Jeremy Guthrie and Matt Moore's are higher.) And they worry his home runs-per-flyball rate is unsustainably low. In essence, while a 1.52 ERA and 6-0 record say Corbin is a much better pitcher than last season, the peripherals say otherwise.

This is where the doobs meter gets tricky. In the majority of cases, stats and scouts agree on a player. With Corbin, they don't. Having seen Corbin, having heard effusive praise and knowing the rarity of an increase in velocity, I'll bet on his home run rate staying down and the strand rate dip and BABIP jump not derailing him.

Verdict:1/5

passan/yahoosports.com

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
This is just amazing

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7m

One more Mariano Rivera note: In 1379 innings, no player has hit more than 2 career HR against him.

It's impressive to watch how dominant Rivera continues to be into his 40's. The first comparison that comes to mind is Barry Bonds. Roger Clemens is another one.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
It's impressive to watch how dominant Rivera continues to be into his 40's. The first comparison that comes to mind is Barry Bonds. Roger Clemens is another one.

Hopefully Rivera is cleaner than the other two.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Hopefully Rivera is cleaner than the other two.

Well, Rivera never had a crazy jump in numbers, MPH, and never broke down later in his career except for last year in a freak accident.

And he only throws one pitch, very very very well. I wouldnt expect him to be dirty. He is just consistently awesome

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
Well, Rivera never had a crazy jump in numbers, MPH, and never broke down later in his career except for last year in a freak accident.

And he only throws one pitch, very very very well. I wouldnt expect him to be dirty. He is just consistently awesome

We aren't talking about a starting pitcher who maintains his velocity into his early to mid 40s. We are talking about a reliever who throws one pitch whose velocity has steadily decreased over time who simply has magnificent command of one pitch.

Barry Bonds' hips got faster - waaaaay faster - when he was in his late 30s, and Roger Clemens' velocity went from 91.8 to 92.4 from 2003 (age 40) to 2004 (age 41). He was still at 92 MPH as a 42 year old.

Randy Johnson's did the same thing from age 39 to age 40, and that was also from '03 to '04, so maybe it was something with the PitchFX technology at the time or in translating it. Johnson always threw pretty damn hard though and his velocity eventually did start winding down (went to 92.7 the following year, and then down to 92.2 and whatever from there). He also found himself dealing with injuries that a pitcher who is older than 40 would deal with too.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
It's great to see Neal Cotts back in the majors.

You see his numbers in the minors this year? Holy s***.

15 G

23 IP

42 K (16.4 K/9)

5 BB (2 BB/9)

1 HR (0.4 HR/9)

2 ER (0.78 ERA)

0.78 WHIP

If he carries over half of that to the majors, he's going to be doing work.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)

I agree. He is one of the last players I would expect to be dirty. You can just never be too sure of the last 20-30 years.

Nolan Ryan would be a better comparison...for Mo.

Although at the end, Nolan wasn't one of the top 3 starting pitchers in baseball...like Rivera is as a closer.

Or Julio Franco playing and hitting well into his mid 40's. Would like to think it wasn't due to PED's.

Edited by caulfield12