2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/24/mets-mat...9&eref=sihp

Matt Harvey getting lucky on and off the field...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-193535766.html

Yu Darvish-like breakdown of Miggy Cabrera hitting homers on six completely different types of pitch with one swing motion...cool stuff.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Looks like we got out f Anaheim just in time.

Still 9 1/2 games behind the Rangers (have made up only 2 1/2), but they're at least getting back into a competitive position for the two wild cards, just like last season...nevertheless, with that payroll, they've still missed the playoffs 3 years in a row.

Meanwhile, Royals' fans and Greg are getting ready to jump off the ledge.

Edited by caulfield12

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/05/k...tle-things.html

LONG, but excellent, overview of all the Royals' problems, both this season and historically.

Poor Chris Getz is one of the targets, justifiably...he's not a legit lead-off hitter and not a starter for a good team.

about 1/4th of the article...and this part is just as relevant to the 2013 Chicago White Sox

KC and the little things

OK, well, I know what comes next. If you have been around the Kansas City Royals for any extended period of time, you do too. The Royals have lost 14 of their last 18 games. But more, much more, 11 of those 14 losses are by two runs or less. Oh yeah, we know what comes next.

Lots and lots and lots of talk about … the little things.

Get ready for it. There will be closed door meetings. There will be public proclamations. There will be quotes galore. People from the Royals organization will be lining up to tell us how they’ve got to start doing the little things, they can’t keep messing up the little things, they must concentrate on the little things. Those little things will become an obsession, at least for a little while. At some point manager Ned Yost will say he will not put up with players who don’t do the little things. General manager Dayton Moore will say that the team can’t panic, that it’s simply about getting those little things right. Team leaders will emerge to publicly challenge teammates to do those little things.

In a way, I agree with the Royals. Unfortunately, we have very different views of what little things actually matter most. The Royals -- and, really, almost every baseball team -- think of the little things as getting the bunt down, moving runners over, getting them home from third, hitting the cutoff man, getting the sure out and so on. Don’t get me wrong, I believe these are all good things for a team to do, important in their own way. I tend to think of them like I think of the little twisty air blower above your seat on an airplane. It matters. If the plane is hot, that thing feels like an important device. But, you know, even when it’s hot, that little twisty blower doesn’t really power the plane.

The Royals are always terrible at close games. Always. They have won just 44% of their one- and two-run games since the 1994 strike, by far the worst percentage in the American League.* They have also lost by far the most blowout games of any team since 1994, but let’s focus on one problem at a time. I believe those close games DO often come down to little things, but I just happen to think those little things have little to do with bunting, productive outs or saving/gaining the extra base.

*The Yankees have won 57% of their one- and two-run games sine 1995, by far the best percentage in the AL, which could lead to a long post about about mystique and aura and more hosannas for Mariano. But not right now.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/05/k...tle-things.html

LONG, but excellent, overview of all the Royals' problems, both this season and historically.

Poor Chris Getz is one of the targets, justifiably...he's not a legit lead-off hitter and not a starter for a good team.

about 1/4th of the article...and this part is just as relevant to the 2013 Chicago White Sox

KC and the little things

OK, well, I know what comes next. If you have been around the Kansas City Royals for any extended period of time, you do too. The Royals have lost 14 of their last 18 games. But more, much more, 11 of those 14 losses are by two runs or less. Oh yeah, we know what comes next.

Lots and lots and lots of talk about … the little things.

Get ready for it. There will be closed door meetings. There will be public proclamations. There will be quotes galore. People from the Royals organization will be lining up to tell us how they’ve got to start doing the little things, they can’t keep messing up the little things, they must concentrate on the little things. Those little things will become an obsession, at least for a little while. At some point manager Ned Yost will say he will not put up with players who don’t do the little things. General manager Dayton Moore will say that the team can’t panic, that it’s simply about getting those little things right. Team leaders will emerge to publicly challenge teammates to do those little things.

In a way, I agree with the Royals. Unfortunately, we have very different views of what little things actually matter most. The Royals -- and, really, almost every baseball team -- think of the little things as getting the bunt down, moving runners over, getting them home from third, hitting the cutoff man, getting the sure out and so on. Don’t get me wrong, I believe these are all good things for a team to do, important in their own way. I tend to think of them like I think of the little twisty air blower above your seat on an airplane. It matters. If the plane is hot, that thing feels like an important device. But, you know, even when it’s hot, that little twisty blower doesn’t really power the plane.

The Royals are always terrible at close games. Always. They have won just 44% of their one- and two-run games since the 1994 strike, by far the worst percentage in the American League.* They have also lost by far the most blowout games of any team since 1994, but let’s focus on one problem at a time. I believe those close games DO often come down to little things, but I just happen to think those little things have little to do with bunting, productive outs or saving/gaining the extra base.

*The Yankees have won 57% of their one- and two-run games sine 1995, by far the best percentage in the AL, which could lead to a long post about about mystique and aura and more hosannas for Mariano. But not right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 26, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
Pirates have to go 50-62 to finish 81-81. I hope they blow that out of the water.

Yeah, I had no idea they were playing so well...good for the Bucos...

So I just watched the handsome Neal Cotts retire all four batters he faced for the Rangers...looking pretty sharp, looking pretty sharp...we could use him right now.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 26, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
What would we have to give Atlanta to get Evan Gattis?

The problem with that concept is that McCann is a free agent after this year and has already been banged up. Holding them both creates a problem this year but solves a big hole for them next year.