2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine linked to this story on his FB page and noted the part about the odds being 1 trillion to one to catch four foul balls in one game.

I commented, "So the same odds as any fan catching one foul ball in a World Series game at Wrigley?"

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:56 AM)
A friend of mine linked to this story on his FB page and noted the part about the odds being 1 trillion to one to catch four foul balls in one game.

I commented, "So the same odds as any fan catching one foul ball in a World Series game at Wrigley?"

Win.

that's amazing to get 4 foul balls. I'm assuming he wasnt in the first row down on of the lines?

Back in 93 I went to a Phillies-Marlins game and I saw a guy in the next section catch 2 foul balls. I was sitting about 20 rows behind home plate and he was about 30 rows in the section going towards 1st. And this was the expansion year for the Marlins when they were selling out the lower bowl. I thought that was something. Guess not haha

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 3m

THIS JUST IN: Yankees 3B Alex Rodriguez said he expects to be in team's lineup Monday against Rangers. (via. @WFAN660)

He's obviously not the same A-Roid he was before, but he will still be an improvement at 3B compared to what the Yankees have been throwing out there.

David Adams (29 G) .536 OPS

Jayson Nix (25 G) .607 OPS

Kevin Youkilis (20 G) .648 OPS

Chris Nelson (9 G) .521 OPS

Luis Cruz (7 G) . 488 OPS

Alberto Gonzalez (5 G) .394 OPS

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
He's obviously not the same A-Roid he was before, but he will still be an improvement at 3B compared to what the Yankees have been throwing out there.

David Adams (29 G) .536 OPS

Jayson Nix (25 G) .607 OPS

Kevin Youkilis (20 G) .648 OPS

Chris Nelson (9 G) .521 OPS

Luis Cruz (7 G) . 488 OPS

Alberto Gonzalez (5 G) .394 OPS

Those guys make Jeff Keppinger look alright.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)

Not really since that wouldn't be 1:1000000000000, it'd be 1:0, undefined, you can't divide by zero

Nate Silver, the statistician who attained national fame for his accurate projections about the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, is parting ways with The New York Times and moving his FiveThirtyEight franchise to ESPN, the sports empire controlled by the Walt Disney Company, according to ESPN employees with direct knowledge of his plans.

At ESPN, Mr. Silver is expected to have a wide-ranging portfolio. Along with his writing and number-crunching, he will most likely be a regular contributor to “Olbermann,” the late-night ESPN2 talk show hosted by Keith Olbermann that will have its debut at the end of August. In political years, he will also have a role at ABC News, which is owned by Disney.

An ESPN spokeswoman declined to comment on Friday night. Mr. Silver declined to comment. The employees, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that Mr. Silver’s deal could be announced as soon as Monday.

Before creating statistical models for elections, Mr. Silver was a baseball sabermetrician who built a highly effective system for projecting how players would perform in the future. For a time he was a managing partner of Baseball Prospectus. At public events recently, he has expressed interest in covering sports more frequently, so the ESPN deal is a logical next step.

Link

New York Yankees sign Polish RHP Artur Strzalka

Source: Mister Baseball

The New York Yankees have signed right-hander Artur Strzalka to a seven-year minor league contract. He is the first player ever born and developed in Poland to get a contract with a MLB organization

New York Yankees sign Polish RHP Artur Strzalka

Source: Mister Baseball

The New York Yankees have signed right-hander Artur Strzalka to a seven-year minor league contract. He is the first player ever born and developed in Poland to get a contract with a MLB organization

That sucks that Strzalka was signed by the only team that doesn't put the names on the backs of jerseys.