2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tino Martinez resigns as Marlins hitting coach after a series of allegations of abuse. Apparently verbally and physically intimidating players.

Jose Canseco announces on twitter that he'd like to be considered for the job.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
David Ortiz lost his mind. He didn't like a strike call on 3-0 and eventually struck out. He showed up the ump and got tossed. Then he had to be restrained by several players/coaches from going out after the ump. He then took a bat and smashed the s*** out of a phone box with shrapnel going everywhere.

In fairness, it was a terrible strike call. Ortiz said it would have hit Timmons in the face if it wasn't caught, and he was right.

No need to swing a bat like that in the dugout though

NY Daily News is saying MLB has offered him a deal to sit out the rest of 2013 and all of 2014. He could return in 2015 where he'd still have 3 years and $60M left on his contract.

Or face a lifetime ban.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
NY Daily News is saying MLB has offered him a deal to sit out the rest of 2013 and all of 2014. He could return in 2015 where he'd still have 3 years and $60M left on his contract.

Or face a lifetime ban.

If he comes back, make him play for the league minimum.

"Sigh, oh I guess I can come back at 40 and make 20 million a year again. Ho Hum."

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
I always hate how she thinks its so funny to pitch her hardest at celebrity softball games and have major leaguers not be able to hit it. Yet I've never seen her stand in the box against Randy Johnson. The only reason big leaguers can't hit the softball is because its different. If they had a couple days to practice, they would light her up.

She's never exactly been known for her hitting. Even in softball.

Most people simply don't realize how difficult it is to hit a softball coming in that fast at that short of a distance. They just see this little blond girl pitching to guys that they've seen hit baseballs 400+ feet. Pitting her against RJ they would say, "of course he's going to strike her out. Look what he did to major league hitters." It's not quite the same thing.

Also based on the study I'm not sure a few days would be enough time. It might take them weeks/months and maybe even years. You have to remember that she was really good at making other professional softball players with many years of experience whiff at her pitches as well.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
She's never exactly been known for her hitting. Even in softball.

Most people simply don't realize how difficult it is to hit a softball coming in that fast at that short of a distance. They just see this little blond girl pitching to guys that they've seen hit baseballs 400+ feet. Pitting her against RJ they would say, "of course he's going to strike her out. Look what he did to major league hitters." It's not quite the same thing.

Also based on the study I'm not sure a few days would be enough time. It might take them weeks/months and maybe even years. You have to remember that she was really good at making other professional softball players with many years of experience whiff at her pitches as well.

I think a better comparison would be a great fast-pitch hitter and Randy Johnson Chris Sale.