2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Just so you know:

Mike Trout turns 22 on Wednesday, he owns a career .315/.395/.546/.941 line in 1277 PA to go along with 53 career HR and 76 SB in 85 attempts (89%), oh and he leads the league in walks.

Average.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
Just so you know:

Mike Trout turns 22 on Wednesday, he owns a career .315/.395/.546/.941 line in 1277 PA to go along with 53 career HR and 76 SB in 85 attempts (89%), oh and he leads the league in walks.

Any white sox prospect who has not done this by age 21 is a failure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
Any white sox prospect who has not done this by age 21 is a failure.

I love this attitude you portray around the site like fans have struck down young players on the Sox with legitimate upside. Just cut it out - there's very little worth caring about White Sox wise these days.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
I love this attitude you portray around the site like fans have struck down young players on the Sox with legitimate upside. Just cut it out - there's very little worth caring about White Sox wise these days.

Then why do you care so much as to defend that attitude?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Then why do you care so much as to defend that attitude?

Your response makes no sense. I care that you seem to think that anyone down on White Sox prospects is an impatient, bad fan, when that's simply not the case. Just drop it - it's easy to sit there and keep typing "yay everyone go White Sox these prospects aren't all bad!" and hope that 1 out of 300 can come up and put up an OPS north of .700. Unfortunately, the fact is that the White Sox have by far the worst system - and there's nothing coming anytime soon save Avisail who was acquired last week.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Your response makes no sense. I care that you seem to think that anyone down on White Sox prospects is an impatient, bad fan, when that's simply not the case. Just drop it - it's easy to sit there and keep typing "yay everyone go White Sox these prospects aren't all bad!" and hope that 1 out of 300 can come up and put up an OPS north of .700. Unfortunately, the fact is that the White Sox have by far the worst system - and there's nothing coming anytime soon save Avisail who was acquired last week.

It's also incredibly easy to sit there and say "Yes everyone on the White Sox is terrible" while ignoring the absolute fact that it takes a ton of time to develop people and guys struggling is the norm.

Josh Phegley was tearing the cover off the ball for months in AAA, to the point where even you were saying he should have been up a month beforehand because he was clearly ready. We're already seeing the "gosh I hate his approach what's wrong with this guy" posts. it took about a month and was the easiest thing to predict ever.

If Garcia comes up and hits .220 for a month I fully expect to see him declared a failure as well, and people will say that Hahn never should have traded for a guy with that terrible, aggressive approach. You complain about the supposed lack of talent in the org...but being completely unwilling to spend the time to develop that talent is a huge part of the reason it appears lacking to you. You declare that no one will contribute and then you declare that you're justified because no one comes up and becomes Mike Trout. That's literally the standard you're going with; a guy isn't doing what Mike Trout did, he must be terrible and useless and the system is terrible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)

You should probably narrow that down to hitting. The system spits out starting pitchers like it is going out of style the last few years. Plus there is still more on the way. Offensively, not so much.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
You should probably narrow that down to hitting. The system spits out starting pitchers like it is going out of style the last few years. Plus there is still more on the way. Offensively, not so much.

Yes, I do mean to narrow that down to hitting. This franchise is a pitching mecca. It doesn't even make sense some of the guys that come up and produce.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
It's also incredibly easy to sit there and say "Yes everyone on the White Sox is terrible" while ignoring the absolute fact that it takes a ton of time to develop people and guys struggling is the norm.

Josh Phegley was tearing the cover off the ball for months in AAA, to the point where even you were saying he should have been up a month beforehand because he was clearly ready. We're already seeing the "gosh I hate his approach what's wrong with this guy" posts. it took about a month and was the easiest thing to predict ever.

If Garcia comes up and hits .220 for a month I fully expect to see him declared a failure as well, and people will say that Hahn never should have traded for a guy with that terrible, aggressive approach. You complain about the supposed lack of talent in the org...but being completely unwilling to spend the time to develop that talent is a huge part of the reason it appears lacking to you. You declare that no one will contribute and then you declare that you're justified because no one comes up and becomes Mike Trout. That's literally the standard you're going with; a guy isn't doing what Mike Trout did, he must be terrible and useless and the system is terrible.

Well, Josh Phegley is a 25 year old getting his first crack. It makes sense that when he goes for a .565 OPS over 75 at bats with nary a walk and an OBP lower than his average (.200 vs .203) that folks might question whether he can be the solution. He had a very nice start to the season at an advanced age in AAA, we'll see if that carries over. There's no reason not to run him out there because the other option is Tyler f***ing Flowers.

That doesn't mean the guy will be any good - and his track record save a very small sample size suggests Phegley will blow.

Garcia is actually a "top prospect". He'll be given a leash. I defy you to find someone down on him if/when he struggles out of the gate. Good God, it took us 4 years to finally give up on Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Well, Josh Phegley is a 25 year old getting his first crack. It makes sense that when he goes for a .565 OPS over 75 at bats with nary a walk and an OBP lower than his average (.200 vs .203) that folks might question whether he can be the solution. He had a very nice start to the season at an advanced age in AAA, we'll see if that carries over. There's no reason not to run him out there because the other option is Tyler f***ing Flowers.

That doesn't mean the guy will be any good - and his track record save a very small sample size suggests Phegley will blow.

Garcia is actually a "top prospect". He'll be given a leash. I defy you to find someone down on him if/when he struggles out of the gate. Good God, it took us 4 years to finally give up on Gordon Beckham.

Hell, Garcia has exactly as long of a track record of solid performance in AAA as Phegley does, this season. Yeah he's younger but he also has a long list of people already saying that his approach probably won't work and he swings at too many pitches out of the zone. We've actually had good discussion on that, probably because you haven't seen his approach for a month in order to declare that "Avisail Garcia sucks!" yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Hell, Garcia has exactly as long of a track record of solid performance in AAA as Phegley does, this season. Yeah he's younger but he also has a long list of people already saying that his approach probably won't work and he swings at too many pitches out of the zone. We've actually had good discussion on that, probably because you haven't seen his approach for a month in order to declare that "Avisail Garcia sucks!" yet.

There's way too many "scouts" on Soxtalk - I don't need to get into players' approaches nor have I ever.

Avisail Garcia is a legitimate top prospect who is hitting .381 in AAA at the age of 22 years old. He's hitting .387 since finding his way to Charlotte with 7 rbi in 5 games. He's getting a long leash from me.

I'm almost insulted that you suggested I'd play couch scout like some of the fools on this site pretend to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 07:35 AM)

I understand that patience is required when evaluating young players.

That doesn't mean that observations made prior to 1000 MLB PAs are useless, however.

Sometimes it's just painfully obvious that some guys are not going to cut it.

I'm not saying anything in regards to Phegley or Garcia. Just generally.

My only point was simply that Balta's stance that anyone who thinks a White Sox prospect sucks while evaluating all data on hand is a silly position to take. It's not like we're cutting down grade-A prospect talent, here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
My only point was simply that Balta's stance that anyone who thinks a White Sox prospect sucks while evaluating all data on hand is a silly position to take. It's not like we're cutting down grade-A prospect talent, here.

He's been making this point for the entire season now. It's a valid one, but not in every case he uses it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
He's been making this point for the entire season now. It's a valid one, but not in every case he uses it.

Yeah - but I have yet to see him be correct regarding players he's preaching patience on for this season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)

Whats sad is often times these grade C prospects end up getting a lot of time because the Sox have nothing else in the way of position talent.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Whats sad is often times these grade C prospects end up getting a lot of time because the Sox have nothing else in the way of position talent.

Exactly, which further adds to our collective frustration (save Balta, of course, he believes in everyone who may someday wear the Pale Hose and is a true saint and true fan).