2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6293451.story

If I was a Astros fan I would be pissed at management.

This is rebuilding, which is exactly what most people on Soxtalk want. If the Sox were to meltdown the organization like Houston has, we would be at the top of this list. How do you not know that?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)

I'm legitimately n ot sure if I would be or not. I'd have an extra $200 in my pocket from not purchasing the extra innings package and I'd be staring at my 2nd straight #1 overall pick, and my team in a year or two should have enormous amounts of room to make a dent in the free agent market when they're ready.

That said, if I had a young son in Houston...I'd imagine he'd be playing a lot of football or basketball and thinking of baseball the way I think of hockey. It's there but why care about it if I'm not going to watch it on th e TV?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm legitimately n ot sure if I would be or not. I'd have an extra $200 in my pocket from not purchasing the extra innings package and I'd be staring at my 2nd straight #1 overall pick, and my team in a year or two should have enormous amounts of room to make a dent in the free agent market when they're ready.

That said, if I had a young son in Houston...I'd imagine he'd be playing a lot of football or basketball and thinking of baseball the way I think of hockey. It's there but why care about it if I'm not going to watch it on th e TV?

The problem with the current set up in MLB is you don't get punished financially if you aren't trying to win. Make the payroll next to zero and even if you don't allow people in to your stadium, you make a ton of money.

I wouldn't mind some sort of draft lottery, and a minimum payroll, although the players won't go for a minimum payroll because that will most likely lead to a maximum payroll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
This is rebuilding, which is exactly what most people on Soxtalk want. If the Sox were to meltdown the organization like Houston has, we would be at the top of this list. How do you not know that?

I know that would never happen with the Sox, you can get away with that in Houston not here. How do you not know that?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
I know that would never happen with the Sox, you can get away with that in Houston not here. How do you not know that?

Seriously, read up on baseball finance and economics. The most profitable teams in baseball are the ones who are the lowest payrolled. That is what happens when you sell off all of your salaried players.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
C'est la vie

It sucks, but I'm not gonna lose any money over it, so... ehhh.

If they decide he doesn't need surgery, what do you do with him? A bit of a gamble, but at least it's the seventh round

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)

Here's the other link, http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2...ble-in-history/

Read the comments.

How does it feel to be an Astros fan? You simply AREN’T an Astros fan. I don’t know a single Astros watcher and I’ve lived in Houston for 27 years. They’re that bad. I have no clue who goes to those games but it has to be lower than the Dynamo.