2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Except for being in the same division with the best organization in baseball right now, as well as the Reds and the Pirates on the rise and having the same number of prospects, but many of them on the pitching side.

Maybe you can finish ahead of the Brewers, but that's kind of a given without Braun and with Gallardo probably being traded.

Guy running the Reds helped build the Cardinals into what they are. Pirates look like they could really be something. Imagine if Appel was lurking in their system, yikes.

The NL Central is quietly turning into something good.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
Except for being in the same division with the best organization in baseball right now, as well as the Reds and the Pirates on the rise and having the same number of prospects, but many of them on the pitching side.

Maybe you can finish ahead of the Brewers, but that's kind of a given without Braun and with Gallardo probably being traded.

You're making too big of a leap here. I don't know what the Pirates, Reds, or Cardinals will be doing come 2015/2016. Let's stick to the current discussion where people are acting like having too many quality prospects is a bad thing.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
Quote the post where someone guaranteed that all of their blue chip prospects would reach the majors.

And it's not a bad thing to have a s***load of quality prospects. When the time comes, I'm sure that they'll flip quite a few of them for proven major league assets.

There is nothing to be pessimistic about.

For God's sake you even posted their lineup.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
This is the best thread on this site by a very large margin.

Futures squad:

C: Wellington Castillo

1B: Anthony Rizzo

2B: Starlin Castro

SS: Javier Baez

3B: Kris Bryant

OF: Albert Almora

OF: Jorge Soler

OF: Eloy Jimenez

Someone post one for the White Sox. No, I'm just kidding.

Man, why did they have to sign Edwin Jackson? They could have put that money towards resigning Garza.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
You're making too big of a leap here. I don't know what the Pirates, Reds, or Cardinals will be doing come 2015/2016. Let's stick to the current discussion where people are acting like having too many quality prospects is a bad thing.

The discussion has become that having prospects is somehow better than having a major league team for a lot of people. f*** that s***. Given the choice, I choose the major league team every single time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
The discussion has become that having prospects is somehow better than having a major league team for a lot of people. f*** that s***. Given the choice, I choose the major league team every single time.

Of course, for the White Sox we are in s***ty major league team, s***ty farm system/development, the worst case scenario.

Not that I would trade teams, but, from a fan's point of view, they have more reasons for optimism...maybe there's only a 25-50% chance it actually works out, but they're following a concerted strategy and not just throwing darts at a board.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Of course, for the White Sox we are in s***ty major league team, s***ty farm system/development, the worst case scenario.

Not that I would trade teams, but, from a fan's point of view, they have more reasons for optimism...maybe there's only a 25-50% chance it actually works out, but they're following a concerted strategy and not just throwing darts at a board.

For 2013, yes. Until this year, no. And I think from a historical point of view, your numbers are high by a factor of 10.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
For 2013, yes. Until this year, no. And I think from a historical point of view, your numbers are high by a factor of 10.

I'll agree, if Buddy Bell was in charge of their development...somehow you know it would be a big fail for the White Sox, just like the 1999-2001 period of great farm systems MOSTLY worked out for the White Sox because of Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia being married to Guillen's cousin or whatever, not because all those starting pitching prospects ever blossomed with us.

Look at what happened with Borchard and Rauch, the two biggest prospects we've had between Beckham and the Thomas/Ventura/Fernandez/McDowell drafts.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
I'll agree, if Buddy Bell was in charge of their development...somehow you know it would be a big fail for the White Sox, just like the 1999-2001 period of great farm systems MOSTLY worked out for the White Sox because of Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia being married to Guillen's cousin or whatever, not because all those starting pitching prospects ever blossomed with us.

Look at what happened with Borchard and Rauch, the two biggest prospects we've had between Beckham and the Thomas/Ventura/Fernandez/McDowell drafts.

I'm talking about in all of baseball. How many complete rebuilds have taken 3 to 5 years to actually work? How many have been fails, and had to have start all over again?

Who's gonna pitch for the cubs in 2017 when that lineup is in the majors? They have tons of money so I guess that's the answer. I think Castro and Baez are busts...rizzo might hold his own. The lower crop looks pretty good though.

I like our position way better.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:36 AM)
Who's gonna pitch for the cubs in 2017 when that lineup is in the majors? They have tons of money so I guess that's the answer. I think Castro and Baez are busts...rizzo might hold his own. The lower crop looks pretty good though.

I like our position way better.

I was just reading tonight that people expect them to be one of the contenders for Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Also, how can you say Baez is a bust?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
I was just reading tonight that people expect them to be one of the contenders for Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Also, how can you say Baez is a bust?

If you want to confuse and annoy a Cub fan, remind him that Javier Baez was drafted by Jim Hendry.

("But, oh my God, TheoandJed!")

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
You don't really believe that, do you? This team is gonna suck really hard for a very long time. Good thing we got the Blackhawks, Bears, Bulls, etc.

Eh, that was the thought after 2007 too, and some very good moves won the division the next year. If they sold everything off, yeah, they could suck for a long time, but I just don't see that happening. Some sort of rebuild, surely, but there is a really solid foundation in the rotation already. It's a matter of building an offense and keeping together an effective bullpen. Frankly, the Sox hitting is just garbage.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
The White Sox have an MLB rotation. The cubs have a nice farm system.

(Do they? I haven't been impressed by what I've seen at the upper levels of their farm system. I'd go so far as to say they have nice lower-levels in their farm system).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:07 PM)
(Do they? I haven't been impressed by what I've seen at the upper levels of their farm system. I'd go so far as to say they have nice lower-levels in their farm system).

The Cubs are going to have a top 5, if not higher, farm system after this season. Some experts are stating their power hitting collection of prospects is easily the best in baseball. Like we've said though, they're going to have to use some of those guys to obtain pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)

Farm system rankings are not worth the paper phil rogers writes them on. They have impressive younger guys but they always seem to have impressive younger guys that never make it to Clark and Addison in the same light they did in Peoria or Iowa.

It is harder to get MLB caliber pitching than it is hitting that is the upper hand the Sox have over ht cubs.

The fact Rizzo and Castro now suck is not helping the cause either.

I love that Soriano is helping them win games and could cost them a slot or two in the standings. Same with Garza if he is not resigned or traded.

Baseball America's Top 100 Prospect Rankings in 2002:

2. Mark Prior, rhp, Cubs

6. Juan Cruz, rhp, Cubs

40. Hee Seop Choi, 1b, Cubs

45. David Kelton, 3b, Cubs

48. Bobby Hill, 2b, Cubs

68. Nic Jackson, of, Cubs

80. Carlos Zambrano, rhp, Cubs

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
The White Sox have an MLB rotation. The cubs have a nice farm system.

They have Rizzo, who has been a bit streaky this year, and a sub-600 OPS version of Castro with bad work habits, laziness, a lack of power and a bit overweight.