2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 07:06 AM)
Quintana is typically at 91. Check fangraphs.

But anyway, I said Quintana was a decent #4 starter in the long run, which is high enough praise for someone with his stuff, which is rated just fine. It's mediocre, but he gets the most out of his ability.

Hector Santiago is not a starter in the long term, unless you like to see WHIP ratios in the 1.50 range.

I'm sorry to have to break this stuff to you guys. :D

The harder you throw, the harder the ball goes the other way, lol.

I'm talking about you, Samardzija.

MR. ND MULLET SPORTING WR

1.30 WHIP

9.29 K/9

Hector Santiago

1.29 WHIP

9.42 K/9

Too easy. We'll take Edwin Jackson back if you want to throw in $20-25 million of "Ricketts Money."

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Also, what is Samardzija long-term?

Samardzija is a sick talent. You can't see that? I mean, there's not much more to be said.

Aside from overrating players on your own team & underrating the opposition, most people posting in this thread are putting a lot of weight into three months worth of stats. Don't do that. It's not a particularly wise thing to do.

I like you, because you puff out your bird chest when you post.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Quintana's 24 y.o. has thrown 244 Major League innings, averages 6 Kp9 and has a 117+ ERA. You think that's a #4 starter?

Let me reiterate that I'm talking about the long term. I don't care about Quintana's 2013 WAR.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
Samardzija is a sick talent. You can't see that? I mean, there's not much more to be said.

Aside from overrating players on your own team & underrating the opposition, most people posting in this thread are putting a lot of weight into three months worth of stats. Don't do that. It's not a particularly wise thing to do.

So were Wood and Prior. Pitching is fragile. And yeah, we all know Chris Sale could go down tomorrow. Or never.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)

Again, it would be a great idea for you to follow your own advice here. Seems like you like the OOTP world a bit better than reality.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Samardzija is a sick talent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
So were Wood and Prior. Pitching is fragile. And yeah, we all know Chris Sale could go down tomorrow. Or never.

Yeah, this applies to everyone who has ever pitched. Some more than others. It's hardly a point worth making.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)

This is f***ing absurd.

Samardzija is in his age 28 season. Over the last two years, we have 47 starts and 298.2 IP worth of data on him, which is a pretty suitable sample size.

8.3 H/9

1.25 WHIP

1 HR/9

3 BB/9

9.3 K/9

3.92 ERA

The peripherals are nice, but they are indicative of Ricky Nolasco or Javier Vazquez, pitchers who are clearly extremely talented pitchers but always underperform their peripherals due primarily to loss of command. They make mistakes, elevate pitches, and get hit.

Now, if you want Javier Vazquez or Ricky Nolasco leading your staff, by all means.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Samardzija is a sick talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
This is f***ing absurd.

clearly extremely talented pitcher

Okay, so you agree with me? Very bizarre, wite.

Samardzija's stock has been skyrocketing over the past 12 months or thereabouts, and for good reason. He has the makings of a good #1 or an elite #2. That is very clear to people who follow baseball closely. The fact that he's a late bloomer means jack s***.

And Vazquez could have been amazing if not for mental issues. I thought the sky was the limit back when he was with Montreal.

You have to analyze these guys on a case-by-case basis.

Samardzija may ultimately fail, but as of this moment, he's looking like a strong top-of-the-rotation starter.

I think Samardzija is looking like a quality #3 pitcher with inconsistencies that will keep him from ever being a top flight starter. He's a good pitcher, but he has a tendency to leave balls over the heart of the plate. Vazquez was the same way, except that he couldn't handle pressure whatsoever.

From what I have seen of Samardzija, he still appears to be the cliched "thrower" rather than "pitcher." That's the same way Vazquez was. I don't think that's going to change. That doesn't mean he can't dominate for stretches at a time, but I don't foresee him ever being a sub-3.00 ERA starter.

I think what confuses the eye is that, when Samardzija looks good, he looks REALLY good, and when he looks bad, he still looks pretty good because his stuff is very good. There's not a lot of command with it though. He really doesn't spot his pitches well. With Quintana, when he looks good, you barely bat an eye because there's nothing flashy about his game and nothing about his stuff that pops at you - no table-dropping splitter or 11 MPH slower changeup or 12-6 curve. When he looks bad, he looks like a BP pitcher because his stuff flattens out and, at that point, he can be spotting well and guys will kill him. At the end of the day though, with everything considered, I would take Quintana on my staff over the course of a season before I would take Samardzija, and I don't doubt it for a second. I like 24 year old starters with improving stuff who have shown the ability to get guys out with command. On the other hand, 28 year old starters with flashy stuff and little command only do so much for me.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
The harder you throw, the harder the ball goes the other way, lol.

I'm talking about you, Samardzija.

MR. ND MULLET SPORTING WR

1.30 WHIP

9.29 K/9

Hector Santiago

1.29 WHIP

9.42 K/9

And yet Smardzija is claimed by some to be a low 1 high 2, and Santiago a middle reliever.

There's not a large sample size for Santiago as a starter. Here's what we have

16 GS

88.1 IP

2.85 ERA

1.19 WHIP

65 H (6.6 H/9)

10 HR (1 HR/9)

40 BB (4.1 BB/9)

102 K (10.4 K/9)

Based on the peripherals, that ERA should probably be around 3.50, but he's had a lot of success. Here's hoping the Sox will keep him in the rotation.

Also, I've come around to the idea of keeping 4 lefties in the rotation. It's not like any of them are really that similar, other than being left handed.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
I suspect that Santiago would give Edinson Volquez a run for his money in the BB/IP category if he ever became a regular starter.

Santiago struggles, but, to keep Cubs comparisons continuing, he's no worse than Zambrano or Wood. Volquez, both control and overall wise, is entering Daniel Cabrera territory.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
General twitter rumors suggesting Garza to Rangers for Olt and a pitching prospect is possible

Olt has been pretty bad this year, although he was having some vision problems earlier this season. I think he's worth the gamble though, especially given that Garza is a strict rental.

If I were Hahn, I'd see what they'd be willing to give up on top of Olt for Peavy.