2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
How would people feel about that as a Peavy return? Would that even be a possible Peavy return?

Depends on the pitching prospect in return, but I've seen some stats on Olt since his eye surgery and he's been crushing the ball. He would automatically be the best prospect the Sox have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
How would people feel about that as a Peavy return? Would that even be a possible Peavy return?

I'd probably be fine with it, if the pitching prospect had high upside. 3B is a position of need so I'm fine taking a gamble on a once top prospect that has struggled lately.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Texas doesn't want to go out like the Buffalo Bills, so I'm guessing that they'll overpay for Garza or Peavy.

With all of their injuries, I think they'd be better off paying less for two starters. They almost need quantity more than quality. Plus, their trade for a Cubs SP last season didn't go very well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
With all of their injuries, I think they'd be better off paying less for two starters. They almost need quantity more than quality. Plus, their trade for a Cubs SP last season didn't go very well.

Darvish and Ogando will be back within the next week.

You get Garza or Peavy, and your playoff rotation is looking like this:

1. Darvish

2. Garza/Peavy

3. Holland

4. Ogando

That works.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Darvish and Ogando will be back within the next week.

You get Garza or Peavy, and your playoff rotation is looking like this:

1. Darvish

2. Garza/Peavy

3. Holland

4. Ogando

That works.

Good point, I underestimated how soon they are coming back too. I stand by my point of not trading for a Cubs SP again, Hahn is ready & willing Texas, get it done.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
David Kaplan tweeted that he interviewed Bob Nightengale for SportsTalkChi Live today and Nightengale said that Profar is in play in the Garza talks. Hang on....wait for it...HAHAHAHAHA....I love this time of year.

Wow, Theo must be paying Nightengale quite a bit of money to "leak" that nugget.

Here was the supposed deal for Garza. Would have been a nice deal for the Cubs and it bodes well for White Sox return on Peavy in my opinion.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 3m

#Cubs-#Rangers stalled deal was Garza + another #Cub to #Rangers for Neil Ramirez, Luis Sardinas, Mike Olt, CJ Edwards per @JeffWilson_FWST

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
Since when is Garza this must-have ace? That would have been an incredible deal for the Cubs.

That's one hell of a deal. It was speculated that the other play was Schierholtz or James Russell going to Texas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
And also today is a day that ends in Y. And Mark Prior is hurt.

Worth pointing out since the Chicago media seems to think the Sox couldn't give Peavy away

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
Since when is Garza this must-have ace? That would have been an incredible deal for the Cubs.

Since TheoAndJed, Inc. started spinning and falsely leaking for the 4 dupes that cover the Cubs in Chicago and the 3 suck-up morons who cover baseball nationally.

The hype on this yutz is insane. As I seem to recall, Garza isn't an ace and is typically injured. Though I know that it's very "retro" to judge a pitcher by wins, his top number -- secured just once and never to be even nearly achieved again -- was 15 (which, incidentally, puts him one ahead of the highest single-season win total of the great historical Cub ace, Kerry Wood). So, because that metric is so archaic, let's just say that his "peripherals" include being a clubhouse jackass. Ridiculous.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen