2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

Rangers wanted Garza and targeted him from the beginning and got there man.

Garza for Olt, Edwards, Grimm and a player to be named later. Deal is done.

Per Mlbrumors

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
What exactly are the Cubs gonna do with Olt? 1st base is locked up, and if I am to believe the hype, Bryant should be in the majors at 3B very soon. Can he play in the outfield?

One of Bryant/Olt will end up in left field.

This trade was magnificent.

Lots of risk, decent upside in this deal. Hard to say what will come of Olt - I've always loved him but this concussion/vision business is troubling. Tough to say what will happen with Edwards, I'll be interested to see if the Cubs promote him from low-A where he is old-ish. I'm not a fan of Grimm, but he could develop into a decent enough NL starter, so not a bad third piece.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
One of Bryant/Olt will end up in left field.

This trade was magnificent.

I liked the original trade that was rumored much more where they were getting Sardinas and Ramirez. Grimm is garbage.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I liked the original trade that was rumored much more where they were getting Sardinas and Ramirez. Grimm is garbage.
Nobody is garbage in the nl, look at clayton richard, eric stults or even liriano this season.

Just know that olt would have had a good shot shot at third for us, but maybe conor turns out to be the answer, who knows?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Nobody is garbage in the nl, look at clayton richard, eric stults or even liriano this season.

Just know that olt would have had a good shot shot at third for us, but maybe conor turns out to be the answer, who knows?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
Lots of risk, decent upside in this deal. Hard to say what will come of Olt - I've always loved him but this concussion/vision business is troubling. Tough to say what will happen with Edwards, I'll be interested to see if the Cubs promote him from low-A where he is old-ish. I'm not a fan of Grimm, but he could develop into a decent enough NL starter, so not a bad third piece.

The funny thing is we all know how the reaction would go if the Sox traded for someone who was currently injured. This deal, it isn't even a peep on the radar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
The funny thing is we all know how the reaction would go if the Sox traded for someone who was currently injured. This deal, it isn't even a peep on the radar.

Peavy?

But yeah I'm happy to stay away from Olt.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
Cubs are going to have the #1 ranked farm system, aren't they?

That will look great next to their attendance trophies.

This deal, in a couple years, could look like a "meh" deal or it could look really good. Not bad when you really HAD to move him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)

With the money they'll have to spend, they're going to use a lot of these prospects to go after the likes of David Price, etc. Their organization is in a far better place now than it was a year ago, despite the lack of improvement by Castro. Especially if there are two PTBNL and Ramirez is one of them, this was an incredible deal by the Cubs. The Rangers are giving up more for Garza than they did for Cliff Lee.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)

This deal, in a couple years, could look like a "meh" deal or it could look really good. Not bad when you really HAD to move him.

No doubt the trade may not ultimately work out since prospects typically bust, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't applaud the return as it currently stands today. Theo played the market well and was able to get a quality return for Garza. I hate saying that but it's the truth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
With the money they'll have to spend, they're going to use a lot of these prospects to go after the likes of David Price, etc. Their organization is in a far better place now than it was a year ago, despite the lack of improvement by Castro. Especially if there are two PTBNL and Ramirez is one of them, this was an incredible deal by the Cubs. The Rangers are giving up more for Garza than they did for Cliff Lee.

I'll stand by what I've said for a while -- they'll be good once they buy some good players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
And they're in great position to do so the next few years.

Might need new management if they are to do something other than give out horrible contracts :D

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)

Justin Smoak was a top-15 prospect in all of baseball when the Cliff Lee trade went down, which is hard to believe if you have seen him play for the Mariners.

Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports (via Twitter) that the Cubs can select right-hander Neil Ramirez as the PTBNL in the deal. However, if the Cubs select Ramirez, they will not receive a second PTBNL. Otherwise, they can select two other pitchers from the agreed upon list of names.

Also, apparently the Cubs would have gotten Odor instead of Grimm but there were concerns about Garza's elbow (Evan Grant of Dallas Morning News reports)