2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
He just paid $18 million for a Jeff Soptic type prospect.

Theo also has him out of the clubhouse and off the books, out of site out of mind. Cubs saved some money and the Cubs could care less about the prospect they got back. The deal was never about the return.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Theo also has him out of the clubhouse and off the books, out of site out of mind. Cubs saved some money and the Cubs could care less about the prospect they got back.

If Hahn traded Dunn, paid 75% of his future salary, and got a C level prospect back, would you give the same congrats?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
He just paid $18 million for a Jeff Soptic type prospect.

True but would you rather pay $18 million and get a lottery ticket relief prospect or just pay the full $24 million and have him potentially block someone else from playing through next season? It's fine. It is a sunk cost. Junior Lake isn't that good but he can now go to LF every day until Kris Bryant is ready to play there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
If Hahn traded Dunn, paid 75% of his future salary, and got a C level prospect back, would you give the same congrats?

This about the Cubs not the Sox. Theo came into a bad situation and has cleaned it up nothing more nothing less.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
This about the Cubs not the Sox. Theo came into a bad situation and has cleaned it up nothing more nothing less.

Because Rick Hahn came into a perfect, beautiful situation and has done nothing but f*** it up since that point?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)

So that'd be the Sox paying $15 million out of $20 million or so remaining? No.

No, I wouldn't. I don't get the desperation to unload Soriano now. Would have made more sense 2 years ago when he had more years left on his deal.

The Soriano deal is terrible. Instead of overpaying for slightly above league average production, they're overpaying for this production for another team. All they have to show for it is a low-end pitching prospect, and Junior Lake.

I guess I understand the need to get rid of Soriano, but please don't refer to this as a "win" for the Cubs by any stretch.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Because Rick Hahn came into a perfect, beautiful situation and has done nothing but f*** it up since that point?

Exactly. Its a freaking double standard just because of who Theo is, and some weird worship of a team that has sucked for a century+

The problem might well have been that Soriano just wouldn't approve trades to many teams, and one finally came along with a bare-bones offer where he would approve it. So, the offer was $7 million and an A baller or paying out his contract.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 03:14 AM)
Just thought I'd point out that it's no cinch that Rizzo will be a better player than Cashner when all is said and done. Not that the Cubs would ever need pitching, of course

I worry about Cashner's ability to stay healthy. I have been hoping that Cashner would end the year with a better WAR than Rizzo.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
Just thought I'd point out that it's no cinch that Rizzo will be a better player than Cashner when all is said and done. Not that the Cubs would ever need pitching, of course

Cashner's not striking out as many people as in the past and that 5.07 ERA away from Petco raises some questions. But I agree that everyone assumed it was a lopsided trade, but Cashner has some talent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Cashner's not striking out as many people as in the past and that 5.07 ERA away from Petco raises some questions. But I agree that everyone assumed it was a lopsided trade, but Cashner has some talent.

I'm looking at FIP, which likes him quite a bit (3.62 entering the day)

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
He got slammed today, right? Well, his xFIP in the game was actually 2.90, which is actually an A+ level xFIP. He came into the game with an xFIP of 3.58, which was good enough for 27th overall in baseball. He's now in the top 25.

:D

That ranks a close 2nd to the BP Attendance Trophy in terms of overall importance for fans of successful franchises like the Cardinals, Rays and Braves.