2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
He got slammed today, right? Well, his xFIP in the game was actually 2.90, which is actually an A+ level xFIP. He came into the game with an xFIP of 3.58, which was good enough for 27th overall in baseball. He's now in the top 25.

:D

Disregard the 9 runs and 11 hits he gave up in 3 innings. The golden domer has a great xFIP.

If a team would give Theo a package as if this guy was an ace, Theo should jump on it.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 05:49 AM)
Disregard the 9 runs and 11 hits he gave up in 3 innings. The golden domer has a great xFIP.

If a team would give Theo a package as if this guy was an ace, Theo should jump on it.

I've never seen someone quote a stat like xFIP to justify a single bad start being better than what it appeared.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)

Agreed. I don't think he's an ace. I think he's got elite #2 written all over him, but maybe he'll be a lifelong underachiever (the anti-Quintana).

So hell yeah, if you can rape someone, go for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
Just because I like to give hammerhead s***

Joe Blanton - 3.79 xFIP

James Shields - 3.83 xFIP

Also, in related news, I would not mind the Sox picking up Joe Blanton next year. And I am serious.

Dude's whip is over 1.5, that is baddd.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Dude's whip is over 1.5, that is baddd.

Eh, BABIP of .339 compared to his career .304, and the Angels defense has not been that good this year. That will create quite a few more hits than normal. On the Sox, that WHIP would be in the 1.30s or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Eh, BABIP of .339 compared to his career .304, and the Angels defense has not been that good this year. That will create quite a few more hits than normal. On the Sox, that WHIP would be in the 1.30s or so.

Because the Sox's defense has been stellar?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Because the Sox's defense has been stellar?

Haha. Errors are stupid, but at least those don't count against WHIP.

Looking up the numbers though, I'm overrating the Sox range. They do need rangier and more athletic players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Haha. Errors are stupid, but at least those don't count against WHIP.

Looking up the numbers though, I'm overrating the Sox range. They do need rangier and more athletic players.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 1b mess, Keppinger, Viciedo, and De Aza are the guys with below average range for their positions. Not sure about Gillaspie yet, haven't seen enough of him. Rios, Ramirez, and Beckham still show solid range but their impact has been hurt this year by the mental mistakes? Is that what the numbers you saw showed?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
If I had to guess, I'd say the 1b mess, Keppinger, Viciedo, and De Aza are the guys with below average range for their positions. Not sure about Gillaspie yet, haven't seen enough of him. Rios, Ramirez, and Beckham still show solid range but their impact has been hurt this year by the mental mistakes? Is that what the numbers you saw showed?

First base is terrible, correct there

Beckham has negative range, but he's never shown well in advanced defensive metrics. There's been nothing good at 2B.

Alexei always shows well, but errors are hurting him badly this year.

Gillaspie is fair defensively, ever so slightly above average.

Rios has actually shown a lack of range but has made up for it with his arm.

De Aza has done nothing good in CF this year. Neither has Danks. Wise and Tekotte were decent.

Viciedo has shown no range, but nobody should be running on him anymore. De Aza shows good range and a mediocre arm.

Overall, fairly accurate. I really don't mind Beckham, but I still do not believe he would make for a good everyday shortstop. I think it's amazing how many defensive woes would be elminated with a true CFer. CF and LF are the two weakest spots, and De Aza would be just fine in LF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)

Beckham has negative range, but he's never shown well in advanced defensive metrics. There's been nothing good at 2B.

De Aza has done nothing good in CF this year. Neither has Danks. Wise and Tekotte were decent.

Viciedo has shown no range, but nobody should be running on him anymore. De Aza shows good range and a mediocre arm.

Overall, fairly accurate. I really don't mind Beckham, but I still do not believe he would make for a good everyday shortstop. I think it's amazing how many defensive woes would be elminated with a true CFer. CF and LF are the two weakest spots, and De Aza would be just fine in LF.

Wasn't De Aza better in CF last year at least?

And I think that a solid 1b would really upgrade this defense as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)

What about Flowers vs. Phegley versus say, McCann (dreaming)?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
Wasn't De Aza better in CF last year at least?

And I think that a solid 1b would really upgrade this defense as well.

Yes he was. He has seemingly grown more uncomfortable out there. It's sorta painful to watch at times.

1B could do a hell of a lot. I still think the biggest area of need is CF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
What about Flowers vs. Phegley versus say, McCann (dreaming)?

There's not a lot metrics can tell you, and there won't be enough data on Flowers or Phegley to really get an accurate portrayal anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)

I've never understood why advanced metrics dislike Gordon.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
I've never understood why advanced metrics dislike Gordon.

I don't know that I can explain it, but I can use some of the basic tools at ESPN to break it down. They still give "Range Factor" and "Zone Rating" numbers that I can compile around the league.

Beckham's "Range factor" (putouts per 9 innings) is 4.49 which is in the bottom 1/2 of 2b in the AL and has gone down every year since 2010.

His fielding percentage this year is similarly poor, towards the bottom of the league.

His zone rating score, the fraction of balls he's getting to in the ESPN counting sense, is also fairly low, although that has been improving every year.

Basically I think the trick is he makes too many errors right now and he doesn't cover enough ground to make up for not being a vacuum on things he does get to. And although he's getting better on making plays he does get to, he's making fewer plays every year so he's getting to fewer balls.

Yes those are the crappy preliminary defensive metrics but they're things I can break down easily to discuss parts of his performance, WAR is harder to break down in the same way.