2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 09:40 PM)
So they're going to be contending in 2015 and at the end of 2013 only 1 of those prospects on the list has made AA? The 3 guys in A-ball this year are going to polish off AA and AAA next year and be ready to contribute to the big league roster?

I assume that means they're trading at least 3 of those guys then.

Bryant and Baez will almost definitely be in the majors by 2015. Personally, I'll be shocked if they don't trade a few of their guys to try and get a top-tiered MLB pitcher.

I think McDaniel has Almora way too high and Baez way too low.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Bryant and Baez will almost definitely be in the majors by 2015. Personally, I'll be shocked if they don't trade a few of their guys to try and get a top-tiered MLB pitcher.

I think McDaniel has Almora way too high and Baez way too low.

Being in the majors and producing at a level that makes your team contenders are vastly different. The 2015 idea is with no learning curve for the younger players.

They have no young pitching in the pipeline therefore they need to acquire it.

Also minor league rankings are worthless.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
2015 is the year they're looking to start contending from all accounts.

They have 4 of the top 21 prospects in baseball according to Kiley McDaniel...ouch

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1320072.html

The first wave of guys is starting to stagnate. That isn't good if you want to compete in 2 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
The first wave of guys is starting to stagnate. That isn't good if you want to compete in 2 years.

The other consideration is that these guys CAN stagnate, but so long as someone believes they are still a rising star, they will still have value and they can still capitalize on that value.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
The other consideration is that these guys CAN stagnate, but so long as someone believes they are still a rising star, they will still have value and they can still capitalize on that value.

But if they want to compete in 2015, the only way they're going to turn that value into performance on the field is to trade most, if not all of these guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
But if they want to compete in 2015, the only way they're going to turn that value into performance on the field is to trade most, if not all of these guys.

You are smelling what I am cooking

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)

Exactly. You need the first wave to be successful, otherwise now you are looking at 2016, at least.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 12:31 AM)
Faced the minimum and threw 97 pitches. That trade and the eventual extension of rizzo, if Cashner stays healthy could look really bad for Theo.

LOL, that's the kind of post that makes me want to find some of the Rizzo praise posts (and yes, I've joined in San Diego for ridicule on that trade as well).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
That's a pretty big if.

Sure which is why that trade looked so lopsided toward the cubs, I was one of the bigger dolts saying that the cubs ripped off the Padres because Rizzo was certain to be an all-star. I never thought Cashner would be and stay healthy. If he does, wow does that trade along with moving Archer look like moves that set the cub back further.

I understand that Archer was a move that was made in the win now mode and Garza did help them out but it was a move that they are paying for now. Which would be very similar to the Hudson move had he not gotten hurt. Hudson and Sale would be a very formidable front end rotation for a rebuilding team as would Cashner and Archer. Oddly Cashner is pitching well and Hudson is struggling to get healthy.

Finally, Daytona winning the A league title made the morning updates on the SCORE but I did not hear about the Barons title...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
You have to think that Rizzo and Castros regression this season really has to give Theo pause going forward. These two were supposed to be the first cornerstones

Rebuilding hardly ever goes smoothly. Even the can't miss usually give you reason to worry.

If they want to blame Sveum for that, that would be silly. They may snap back, and the Cubs may change managers, but if that happens and they give the new manager total credit, it would be way off IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Rebuilding hardly ever goes smoothly. Even the can't miss usually give you reason to worry.

If they want to blame Sveum for that, that would be silly. They may snap back, and the Cubs may change managers, but if that happens and they give the new manager total credit, it would be way off IMO.

Which is why all this talk about Baez, Bryant and others is way premature. The Cubs may have a great team in a few years because of all these draft picks. Odds are maybe one or two of them will be average to good major league ball players. Time will tell.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
The decision on Sveum is coming Monday. It seems to me evaluating the last 3 games of the season is pretty silly. They know what the deal is. You would think if he is coming back they would just say so. The evidence points to a new manager.

Waiting until they can admit whether they've been talking to Girardi