2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
What a joke. What should Sweum be fired for? For not losing enough?

He was always just a transitional manager. I don't think he actually did anything that deserves a firing but it was always going to be this way.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
He was always just a transitional manager. I don't think he actually did anything that deserves a firing but it was always going to be this way.

The tough part is that the main part of his job did fail. His job was to turn Rizzo and Castro into stars. Instead they both saw pretty serious regression. Same with Smarj.

Anytime you are being "evaluated" and they say they will have an announcement the day after the season ends, if they haven't called you to discuss an extention, you should probably get your resume ready.

Theo should manage the team. He seems to know exactly what he wants, and how it is supposed to be accomplished.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Sveum is just a place holder. Theo didn't want his WS winning genius to go through the lows of rebuilding.

There will still be plent of lows for the Cubs. They still need a lot of talent, especially in pitching, and they're in an extremely competitive division.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
There will still be plent of lows for the Cubs. They still need a lot of talent, especially in pitching, and they're in an extremely competitive division.

And if the first wave of talent doesn't turn into stars, their rebuild just tacked on two more years, at least.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/cubs...-mat-gamel.html

The Cubs have claimed Mat Gamel off waivers from the Brewers, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune (on Twitter). The 28-year-old has seen a once-promising big league career get derailed by injuries and was waived by the Brewers earlier in the week.

Gamel was supposed to fill the void left by Corey Hart early in the 2013 campaign, but a torn ACL squashed what would have been a terrific opportunity for the 28-year-old. Hart didn't play a came this season, meaning that Gamel could have had a full season's worth of at-bats to prove himself for the first time in his career. Instead, Gamel will instead carry a career batting line of .229/.305/.367 to his former division rivals.

Gamel twice ranked among Baseball America's Top 100 prospects and appeared on BA's list of Top 10 Brewers prospects on four separate occasions. He's dominated Triple-A pitching to the tune of a .301/.374/.512 batting line and could get a look at third base in Spring Training, as Anthony Rizzo is entrenched as the Cubs' first baseman for the foreseeable future.

Gamel is technically eligible for arbitration this offseason due to spending the bulk of the 2012-13 seasons on the Major League 60-day disabled list. However, his inability to take the field due to injuries in each of the past two seasons should keep his salary just north of $500K, creating little risk for the Cubs should they wish to tender him a contract.

HAPPY BARTMAN DAY!!!!! 10 Year Anniversary of blaming this poor guy for the total collapse of the team in the NLCS against the Marlins.

Something I would love to see Fangraphs do: Calculate the win probability for the Cubs if Alou makes that catch, compared to the win probability when he doesn't. I wouldn't think it moved the meter more than one percent or so, given everything else that still had to happen for the Cubs to lose that series.

how many documentaries need to be made about the 03 cubs? It is just stupid now. We get it, fans and Alou blame Bartman. Everyone forgets Alex Gonzalez's error and the Marlins destroying Kerry Wood in Game 7.

Talk about the way back machine...I was at U of I when they lost, and I remember writing the best away message in the history of away messages, just ripping the Cubs and all the bandwagon, dbag fans around campus for the past couple weeks. Seriously, 50%-60% of people going to class were wearing some sort of blue. Sororities ordered t-shirts. Bars had playoff logo glasses ordered. It was the worst thing ever. My away message was the biggest, best "f*** off" ever. I wish I still had it.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Talk about the way back machine...I was at U of I when they lost, and I remember writing the best away message in the history of away messages, just ripping the Cubs and all the bandwagon, dbag fans around campus for the past couple weeks. Seriously, 50%-60% of people going to class were wearing some sort of blue. Sororities ordered t-shirts. Bars had playoff logo glasses ordered It was the worst thing ever. My away message was the biggest, best "f*** off" ever. I wish I still had it.

I couldn't care less about the Cubs now but that season at the time made me despise everything about them and their fans. That October sucked until that game.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Talk about the way back machine...I was at U of I when they lost, and I remember writing the best away message in the history of away messages, just ripping the Cubs and all the bandwagon, dbag fans around campus for the past couple weeks. Seriously, 50%-60% of people going to class were wearing some sort of blue. Sororities ordered t-shirts. Bars had playoff logo glasses ordered It was the worst thing ever. My away message was the biggest, best "f*** off" ever. I wish I still had it.

I'm glad I wasn't down at u of I yet because I probably would have killed myself from the awfulness even before the collapse had begun. I could only imagine how bad it was.