2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 12, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Yankees sweep the royals in KC.

Does their logo get wins on their own?

My Royals really s*** the bed the entire series. Pretty much no offense whatsoever. Embarrassing to get swept by a bunch of filler-type bench players. Royals really struggling lately, they've lost 6 of 7, but 5 of those losses were by 2 runs or less.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 12, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
What do you think it'd take for KC to fire Ned this season? Losing six of seven heading into a road trip is not what the fans wanted. The Yankees sure beat up KC like the Royals were nothing. The Royals never look that bad when they play the Sox.

I don't see Ned getting fired before Dayton Moore does. I think the Royals have to at least be in realistic contention for a playoff spot come September 1st. Any worse than that I could see them both getting the ax.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 13, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
I saw this career comparison on Grantland and it made me chuckle:

Ross Gload: .281/.325/.408

Eric Hosmer : 263/.321/.405

Ouch. That's pretty tough. Hosmer really struggled last year. Ross Gloss never put together a season like Hosmer did in 2011. I remember Gload as one of my least favorite Royals ever. I'm not that worried about Hosmer though, he's shown the ability but not the consistency. He's still only 23, Gload was 24 when he made his debut.

My Royals really s*** the bed the entire series. Pretty much no offense whatsoever. Embarrassing to get swept by a bunch of filler-type bench players. Royals really struggling lately, they've lost 6 of 7, but 5 of those losses were by 2 runs or less.

I don't see Ned getting fired before Dayton Moore does. I think the Royals have to at least be in realistic contention for a playoff spot come September 1st. Any worse than that I could see them both getting the ax.

Ouch. That's pretty tough. Hosmer really struggled last year. Ross Gloss never put together a season like Hosmer did in 2011. I remember Gload as one of my least favorite Royals ever. I'm not that worried about Hosmer though, he's shown the ability but not the consistency. He's still only 23, Gload was 24 when he made his debut.

Hosmer 2011: .293/.334/.465

Gload 2004: .321/.375/.479

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 14, 2013 -> 06:50 AM)
Hosmer 2011: .293/.334/.465

Gload 2004: .321/.375/.479

Yeah, those are the only #'s that matter.

Hosmer 2011:

153 hits, 27 doubles, 19 homers, 78 RBI, 11 steals, 243 total bases

Gload career high:

106 hits, 22 doubles, 7 homers, 51 RBI, 6 steals, 141 total bases

Nevermind that Gload had his "best" years while already in his 30's.i.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Yeah, those are the only #'s that matter.

Hosmer 2011:

153 hits, 27 doubles, 19 homers, 78 RBI, 11 steals, 243 total bases

Gload career high:

106 hits, 22 doubles, 7 homers, 51 RBI, 6 steals, 141 total bases

Nevermind that Gload had his "best" years while already in his 30's.i.

Gload was never a 150+ game player, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/15/42377...aster-fred.html

Longtime Royals broadcaster Fred White dies of complications from melanoma.

Almost 25 years with the team, was replaced by Ryan Levebvre in 1998. Also did a lot of college basketball...especially Big 12 with Jon Sunvold.

Melanoma's a b****

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
As a ginger, it is one of my top fears along with eels that have teeth.

You mean snakes? Oh, and flying scopions are way scarier.

Edited by witesoxfan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-232521671.html

Should Mariano Rivera START the All-Star Game?

I know, this is MLB Catch-All, but someone commented about the Yankees and their patchwork line-up. Can't believe he's going to retire after fighting to come back from the knee and he's still the best reliever in the game at his age. Or will it be another Andy Pettite/Roger Clemens situation where he keeps coming back?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

I know, this is MLB Catch-All, but someone commented about the Yankees and their patchwork line-up. Can't believe he's going to retire after fighting to come back from the knee and he's still the best reliever in the game at his age. Or will it be another Andy Pettite/Roger Clemens situation where he keeps coming back?

We've done everything we can.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

He's a one pitch pitcher. If he's still got it, and loves to pitch, he should play until he can't.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
The Beatles were still technically a band when Mariano Rivera was born. He was born 4 months after we landed on the moon.

Still in the bigs.

Are you sure that really happened?

Dammit.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am!!!

I'm 26 days older than Mariano.

Can always say "I'm a Sixties Kid," haha.

When Vizquel was playing not so long ago, it was comforting to know there was at least one player in MLB older than me, along with Jamie Moyer.

Ken Griffey, Jr., is right around the same ago, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
The Beatles were still technically a band when Mariano Rivera was born. He was born 4 months after we landed on the moon.

Still in the bigs.

And he's not Jamie Moyer still in the bigs, he's top 5 closer in the game stil in the bigs.

Verlander has already walked in two runners in this inning alone.

That's coming off a 110 pitch performance against the Indians where he was lifted after only 5 IP.

Pounded into the ground.

8 runs allowed, pulled after 2 2/3. ERA still "only" 3.10.

Reminds me of the start he had last year where the Royals torched him.

Has to be some concern in Tiger Land now, with the Passan decreasing velocity article...now these last two starts.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
Verlander has already walked in two runners in this inning alone.

That's coming off a 110 pitch performance against the Indians where he was lifted after only 5 IP.

Too much Kate Upton in the offseason...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Are you sure that really happened?

Dammit.

Thanks for reminding me how old I am!!!

I'm 26 days older than Mariano.

Can always say "I'm a Sixties Kid," haha.

When Vizquel was playing not so long ago, it was comforting to know there was at least one player in MLB older than me, along with Jamie Moyer.

Ken Griffey, Jr., is right around the same ago, too.

I'd never have guessed you were so old!

Verlander matched a career high with eight earned runs allowed. In his previous 240 starts, he had never had such a short outing in which he allowed so many runs.

Verlander acknowledged that his slightly lower velocity in recent starts told him something was off. He got that fixed Thursday night: He was getting his fastball up to his vintage 97, 98 and 99 m.p.h. in the seven-run third.

“I guess too much tinkering,” he said. “Back to the basics. I have to take away positives from tonight. It (the velocity) is there. Find consistency.”

Verlander is 4-4 with a 3.17 ERA. His next start is due Wednesday in Cleveland. Monday’s open date will give him an extra day of rest, and he said he likely will throw two bullpen sessions between starts instead of the usual one.

www.freep.com/sports

Good god, Cabrera (.370) was hitting .490 with RISP coming into that last AB and got ANOTHER hit.

Leonys Martin threw out the runner at home to preserve the 0-0 tie.

Edited by caulfield12