2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
He's a one pitch pitcher. If he's still got it, and loves to pitch, he should play until he can't.

As of right now I think he should be in the All Star game but not as a starter because he's not a starter

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ May 17, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
As of right now I think he should be in the All Star game but not as a starter because he's not a starter

But the starter only goes one or two innings max, so who cares. If anybody deserves such an honor, I think it's Mo. And it's not just an honorary roster spot, he is arguably the best closer in the AL. Again. At age 43. I'm 100% behind the #StartMo campaign.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)
But the starter only goes one or two innings max, so who cares. If anybody deserves such an honor, I think it's Mo. And it's not just an honorary roster spot, he is arguably the best closer in the AL. Again. At age 43. I'm 100% behind the #StartMo campaign.

Leyland politely refused to talk to the Rangers' radio guys about it the other day before the game.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 19, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Oh what a joy it is too watch the Tigers defense & Bullpen against a team other than the Astros.

Miggy 3 home run night. Guy is just unbelievable. That 3rd homer was about as impressive as they come.

He is just a hitting machine.

AL Central has everyone lined up with even numbers now...

CLE --

DET -2

KC -4

CHW/MINN (five game losing streak) -6

Eight or nines game back is the "magic number" for this season being in jeopardy and a return to "rebuilding/restructuring/reloading" conversations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
AL Central has everyone lined up with even numbers now...

CLE --

DET -2

KC -4

CHW/MINN (five game losing streak) -6

Eight or nines game back is the "magic number" for this season being in jeopardy and a return to "rebuilding/restructuring/reloading" conversations.

If you are looking at games back the only team to look at is Detroit. That is at four.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
If you are looking at games back the only team to look at is Detroit. That is at four.

Weird game in CLE.

Both teams blow leads in the 9th, SEA takes the lead by one in the 10th (Smoak homer) and then, three batters later, little heralded Yan Gomes wins it with yet another home walkoff for the Indians (this time against former Tiger Charlie Furbush, who has no business trying to close a game even in extra innings).

6 1/2 behind CLE now, the hottest team in baseball, 20-7 their last 27 games and playing the best of any team in the majors during this current stretch.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Weird game in CLE.

Both teams blow leads in the 9th, SEA takes the lead by one in the 10th (Smoak homer) and then, three batters later, little heralded Yan Gomes wins it with yet another home walkoff for the Indians (this time against former Tiger Charlie Furbush, who has no business trying to close a game even in extra innings).

6 1/2 behind CLE now, the hottest team in baseball, 20-7 their last 27 games and playing the best of any team in the majors during this current stretch.

I've seen this movie before. It doesn't end well for Cleveland.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
I've seen this movie before. It doesn't end well for Cleveland.

Not saying I would bet on CLE.

The time they were hottest last year was in April and May last year...then everything went south.

They must have won 60% of their home games (2012) those first two months in exciting, walk-off fashion.

FWIW, the mathematics of the division is changing with CLE and KC improved, it's not just the White Sox and DET again.

However, keep in mind, as we saw with Ventura....sometimes a new manager really can change things, at least temporarily. Don't discount the only manager in baseball with two recent World Series rings on his fingers out.

PS If Odorizzi and Myers becomes stars for the Rays, they might yet end up regretting that Shields trade if all they get out of it is a .500 team that's at least not a joke, but not competing for the division title, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
PS If Odorizzi and Myers becomes stars for the Rays, they might yet end up regretting that Shields trade if all they get out of it is a .500 team that's at least not a joke, but not competing for the division title, either.

A team like the Rays just has to make those kinds of deals. They can't let their guys walk, particularly since the new CBA made draft pick compensation harder to get. They have to do the best they can to avoid trading for a guy who will bust on them, but they have to take their guys close to FA and try to trade them for the league's best prospects.

If they bust, they have to do it again. They really don't have a choice. If they went "all in" and then started shedding guys to FA, it might take them a decade or more to be competitive again.

That's why a team that doesn't need to be in that mode...shouldn't want to be in that mode, because your franchise rides on whether or not a couple guys bust or hit the big time.

Indians have a good offense, and they've got a couple good starters this year so far in Masterson and McAllister. They have a good bullpen, but they've had hiccups just like most teams.

If the Sox end up trading Peavy and a couple of the bullpen arms, I wouldn't exclude the Tigers and Indians from the bidding.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
A team like the Rays just has to make those kinds of deals. They can't let their guys walk, particularly since the new CBA made draft pick compensation harder to get. They have to do the best they can to avoid trading for a guy who will bust on them, but they have to take their guys close to FA and try to trade them for the league's best prospects.

If they bust, they have to do it again. They really don't have a choice. If they went "all in" and then started shedding guys to FA, it might take them a decade or more to be competitive again.

That's why a team that doesn't need to be in that mode...shouldn't want to be in that mode, because your franchise rides on whether or not a couple guys bust or hit the big time.

(Yes, I know you're referring more to "top prospects" here.)

Of course, that's part of the reason we're in a bad place for now....at this exact moment, Dunn, Danks and Konerko are 3 of the biggest issues with this year's team, and Dunn/Danks are still going to be pretty big factors in 2014 as well.

We might be shedding a lot of salary, but there's going to be a VERY leaky bullpen if Crain, Lindstrom and Thornton are all gone.

That said, we should want nothing to do with Thornton going forward (unless his salary was cut in half at least), blahhh about Lindstrom and Crain's worth a lot more as a trade chip (if we fall out of the race), as overpaying him based on his results this year would be the reliever equivalent of Jeff Keppinger, or buying high on Dotel/Linebrink.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
(Yes, I know you're referring more to "top prospects" here.)

Of course, that's part of the reason we're in a bad place for now....at this exact moment, Dunn, Danks and Konerko are 3 of the biggest issues with this year's team, and Dunn/Danks are still going to be pretty big factors in 2014 as well.

We might be shedding a lot of salary, but there's going to be a VERY leaky bullpen if Crain, Lindstrom and Thornton are all gone.

That said, we should want nothing to do with Thornton going forward (unless his salary was cut in half at least), blahhh about Lindstrom and Crain's worth a lot more as a trade chip (if we fall out of the race), as overpaying him based on his results this year would be the reliever equivalent of Jeff Keppinger, or buying high on Dotel/Linebrink.

The Sox are going to have to spend some money on a lefty if they can't make Veal delicious again, I'll grant that, but seriously, don't count out the reinforcements on the way up. We did that last year and then guys like Jones stepped up big time. Omogrosso seems like he might be a guy the Sox can work into something useful sometime soon as well.

If nothing else, stick the name "Daniel Webb" in the back of your mind. After seeing him, he might well be in the show much sooner than any of us would expect.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 20, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
Indians have a good offense, and they've got a couple good starters this year so far in Masterson and McAllister. They have a good bullpen, but they've had hiccups just like most teams.

If the Sox end up trading Peavy and a couple of the bullpen arms, I wouldn't exclude the Tigers and Indians from the bidding.

Not a lot in the Tigers/Indians system outside of their big name prospect.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 20, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)

I would be suprised If they trade in the division usually does not happen.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 20, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I would be suprised If they trade in the division usually does not happen.

The Tigers have six starters, they don't need a 7th.

As for the Indians, well...anything is possible. The Twins made some moves in recent years that helped (or could have helped) their opponents (Delmon Young, for example, to the Tigers, Liriano to the White Sox).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
Twins sporting just an awful line-up without Mauer against the Braves as they're threatening to fall further back in the standings.

That is still a bad team. There's talent there again, but it's a very bad team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
That is still a bad team. There's talent there again, but it's a very bad team.

They have the makings of a decent lineup, but they don't have the pitching right now.