2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Congrats to the Kansas City Royals on a 28th consecutive season without reaching the playoffs. In today's wild card era, it truly takes effort to accomplish such a feat.

The Nintendo Entertainment System was released in the United States for the first time right around the same time the Royals were last in the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Congrats to the Kansas City Royals on a 28th consecutive season without reaching the playoffs. In today's wild card era, it truly takes effort to accomplish such a feat.

In that 28 years, they've finished 2nd 3 times.

1987 they won 83 games and ended 2 games behind the Twins.

1989 they won 92 games and ended 7 games behind the A's.

In the strike-shortened season of 1995 they finished 2nd even though they were 4 games under .500 at 70-74.

Had the WC existed in 1989, they would've gotten it. Other than that, they haven't even really been close.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Interesting. Cabrera sucks at 3rd and Peralta has a great fielding percentage at SS. You would think they would move him to 3B, a position he's familiar with, and DH Miggy.

Victor Martinez has hit 364/.416/.504/.920 in the second half. Over the course of the 2013 season, he's played 3 games at C, 11 games at 1B, and 139 at DH.

Since this is the Central thread, please give me your opinions of the Royals' future.

I am thinking this might have been their year and the fact they didn't make the playoffs may spell continued doom for KC.

I truly feel Brett's 2 month stint with the team turned around Hosmer. He may return to medocrity again next year, in fact there's a good chance he'll be mediocre without the boost from Brett.

Moustakas appears to be a Beckham-like bust. Very average player. Not saying he's finished yet, but signs are he's not very good.

Shields had a very good year and still didn't get them a playoff berth.

Shortstop and second base appear to be hitting black holes for KC now. That's not good for the future when the corner infielders have no power.

Cain is injury prone.

Gordon is their best player along with Sal Perez. RF is blah.

Butler had an off year for him; he figures to return in a blaze of glory.

Their bullpen appears average to pretty good on paper. Crow had a bad year and Holland was as good as you can be. Their starting pitching was excellent.

So tell me ... because of starting pitching and a good bullpen, will KC remain a 10-over-.500 or better than that team next year?

Or did they blow their chance at a WC and will KC remain KC next season?

I'm thinking unless they acquire a big bopper bat, KC will remain out of playoff contention next season.

I'm glad we got A. Garcia before KC could put together a trade for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
The last time the Royals made the playoffs, Ronald Reagan was President.

Wow.

I'd really like some discussion on this, though. Royals fans think they are back and I kind of disagree.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
Wow.

I'd really like some discussion on this, though. Royals fans think they are back and I kind of disagree.

If they think they are back, refer them to my earlier post. Ronald Reagen. Even the Pirates have made the playoffs.