Charity Poker, anyone?

EvilMonkey

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
wanted to make a donation this morning but the website's down

http://www.helpsavepets.org/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Weird. I will let my wife know. She is going in today to drop the proceeds off and I will have her let them know what is up. I know they update the pictures on Monday with new arrivals, but didn't think it took the page down when that happened. Thanks.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Was doing well in the first tourney, had about $25k (started with $3k), got pocket 10's. Blinds were $300-600. I raised pre flop to $1200, got 2 callers. Flop 10, 2 3. I bet $2500, got one caller. 4th street was a jack. All in, he called. River was another jack. I had a boat, 10s over jacks, he had jack 10 under for the higher boat. Boo. And 4 other times throughout the night I got killed on 10's, had 2 people get runner runner straights on me for big losses and so on. I did make it to 18th out of 150 or so in the late tourney, but no cash. Oh well, at least I know where I donated to!

You only raised X2 BB? Of course you were going to get callers. What was your postion? You atleast need a X3 BB minimum and you can go up to X4 depending on your postion. You gotta get the donks out early with strong raises.

You only raised X2 BB? Of course you were going to get callers. What was your postion? You atleast need a X3 BB minimum and you can go up to X4 depending on your postion. You gotta get the donks out early with strong raises.

I agree that you should raise more than 2x BB, but I also think that a lot of players are going to call with J10 even with a bigger raise, and aren't going to fold top pair on the flop nor two pair on the turn regardless of the bet size. He was 99.8% to win after that flop (assuming neither had a backdoor flush draw) and got incredibly unlucky.

They better be in late postion with chips to burn making a loose call with J10.

What people should do and what they actually do (especially in a charity tournament) are two very different things. My experience is that at least 75-80% of players will call a single raise with any two Broadway cards, probably closer to 90% if they're suited.

People were playing both very loose and very tight. Lots of over-betting and lots of people folding at slight raises. For the first preflop, anything more than 2x people for the most part were folding. I figured 2x would get 2 or 3 callers. As long as an ace didn't show on the flop, and i got that third 10, thought 4x would get one caller with maybe 2 pair. Which it did. Didn't think he would hit that 2 pair. That's why it is called gamblin'!

And Hickory, you are right, some people do just what you said. You can usually find out who those are within the first 10 hands or so and adjust accordingly. usually.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Yeah that's an incredibly unlucky turn of events. You played the hand perfectly and got boned. On top of that, you had the 2nd-nuts, you have to play like you have the best hand.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Eh, I played it, someone wanted to gamble and won out. But it was still fun. And I knew where my money went, or at least a portion of it.

Just an FYI, after all the accounting was done, and paying the state their 3% of the GROSS take (still can't get over that one) we made out with just over $1400! That does not count those who donated without going, as I don't see those numbers myself. Thank you again.

next event is July 6th. The location isn't set in stone yet, but looks like it may be at St. Andrews again. I will post more than a week ahead of time when we have the papers signed, maybe I will see some of you there. I had 12 people, that I know of, show up for me that didn't normally show to these things, one won $240 and one won $110. Neither one was me. :(

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Just an FYI, after all the accounting was done, and paying the state their 3% of the GROSS take (still can't get over that one) we made out with just over $1400! That does not count those who donated without going, as I don't see those numbers myself. Thank you again.

next event is July 6th. The location isn't set in stone yet, but looks like it may be at St. Andrews again. I will post more than a week ahead of time when we have the papers signed, maybe I will see some of you there. I had 12 people, that I know of, show up for me that didn't normally show to these things, one won $240 and one won $110. Neither one was me. :(

The governments loves to dip their hands in the cookie jar. Glad things worked out. If that is indeed the date, I'll make plans to be there to support your cause.