Sox trade RP Jeff Soptic for 3B Conor Gillaspie

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
I meant to state here on this message board. Never said it had any merit. Just find it funny how the opinion on him has changed so quickly. That was the point I was trying to make.

And yes, wite, he did well down the stretch to change that opinion, but I think the catcher position has to be far and away the biggest concern going into the season.

Gimenez is hitting .455 at the MLB level.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
And yes, wite, he did well down the stretch to change that opinion, but I think the catcher position has to be far and away the biggest concern going into the season.

One of the things our experience with AJ (and our experience at 3b last year) should have taught us is that if we're willing to take on a couple million dollars, there will be a veteran or two available for fairly cheap who can at least hold down these positions at an average level if it comes to that.

I think it's the biggest question mark as well, because I honestly have no idea how well Flowers is going to play (as opposed to pretty much every other position), but you have to try and plan for the future eventually. The Sox are likely going to be a 2nd or 3rd place team this year with an outside shot at a division title...if Flowers is costing you that badly, you can trade him at that point. If he proves he can be a .250/25/.825 sort of player, then you have a catcher for a few years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
Well I think the topic of AJ being brought back is climbing past Dunn strikes out too much as the dumbest thing on this board.

He decided not to come back. There really is no debate. If AJP wanted to play on the White Sox he could have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
He decided not to come back. There really is no debate. If AJP wanted to play on the White Sox he could have.

I agree with you. Maybe I didn't clarify. There really wasn't any reason to bring back AJP for what it would have cost. Even if Cubs fans do hate him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
I meant to state here on this message board. Never said it had any merit. Just find it funny how the opinion on him has changed so quickly. That was the point I was trying to make.

Every time you bring this up, you fail to give a reason. Why do you think he's terrible at baseball, as you have said repeatedly? What is your reasoning?

Take a look at Flowers' offensive numbers during his minor league career, and compare them to AJ's. At each level along the way, Flowers had an OPS at least 100 points higher. Flowers struck out more, but had much more power and got on base far more often. Flowers had a down year in 2010, his first mostly full year in AAA, but still posted a .768 OPS. AJ also struggled in AAA, putting up a .709 OPS in parts of 3 seasons (much like Flowers was at AAA for parts of 3 seasons, but his OPS at that level was 100+ points higher). Offensively, Flowers' minor league profile looks a lot better than AJ's.

When AJ finally got a full time job in the majors, he made a leap, as he got more playing time. Similarly, Flowers started to get better late last year with, again, more playing time.

All this is not even to mention that Flowers is, right now, much better defensively than AJ. And that the pitchers like working with Flowers.

And, oh yeah, the $7M the Sox saved meant they could acquire Keppinger and Lindstrom, to address significant holes.

Let's hear your argument.

we will see how hardcore Conor is when he is playing an april game in chicago and it is 32 degrees out

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Hawk is P*SSED (can I say that one without the asterisk?)

yea that one isnt censored

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
I welcome him to prove me wrong, but Flowers is a terrible baseball player and there was even speculation he would be cut from the team midseason last year. That's right, he couldn't cut it as a backup at the time, but here we are few months later with him as the starter.

He was good in the minors and has had 270 major league at-bats. Does every point really have to be made with tons of exaggeration and hyperbole?

If he's a 700 OPS catcher with good defense, making peanuts, you already have a victory there in terms of payroll management. And that's basically his starting point.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
And that's basically his starting point.

Ehh....we hope.

Those strikeouts could be a quick mechanism for making him come out lower than .700 OPS. He's got to actually be hitting HR to overcome that, since he'll almost certainly have a low average. If teams can figure out how to keep him from going deep...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Ehh....we hope.

Those strikeouts could be a quick mechanism for making him come out lower than .700 OPS. He's got to actually be hitting HR to overcome that, since he'll almost certainly have a low average. If teams can figure out how to keep him from going deep...

He has the ability to work a count and make the pitcher throw strikes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
He has the ability to work a count and make the pitcher throw strikes.

That's definitely a useful feature, and it really should help him become a productive big leaguer by keeping that OBP reasonable even with a low average, but the power is really what's going to define whether he's useful or discarded.

If teams keep him in the park, he'll be a guy hitting around the mendoza line with maybe a respectable OBP but really hurting the lineup. If he's cranking out 25+ HR a year, that'll push his average up into the low to mid .200's and make his OPS start looking great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Ehh....we hope.

I feel like all our conversations go this route: Me"here's some stuff that might happen" Balta"Here is why it might not happen, bam here are some reasons out of thin air"

Morel debate, fairly or not, is what hops into my mind first..just because you went in so hard on that one

Edited by Jose Paniagua