Snowmageddon 2013!

Brian

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 06:19 AM)
It's ISAT testing week for many schools. Easier to play is safe and not have to worry about late buses or a bunch of missing kids than to risk the snow not being as bad as predicted.

Doesn't mean all the major high school districts should be closed.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 06:17 AM)
Why is every single district closed, for absolutely no snow. And at the most probably 6 inches now?

See the "wussification of America thread" in the Buster for your answer.

When I was a kid, it had to actually, you know snow ... about 10+ inches for schools to be closed. In my ENTIRE K-8 "career", school was canceled 2 times because of snow. Today, the sheer possibility of snow cancels school...for a measly 6 inches...or 3 now.

Ridiculous.

And don't give me that, "when I was a kid" crap either...this isn't some absurd example of having to walk uphill (somehow), both ways in a blizzard. This is schools being canceled before snow even begins falling, despite it only being 6 measly inches.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)

When I was a kid, it had to actually, you know snow ... about 10+ inches for schools to be closed. In my ENTIRE K-8 "career", school was canceled 2 times because of snow. Today, the sheer possibility of snow cancels school...for a measly 6 inches...or 3 now.

Ridiculous.

And don't give me that, "when I was a kid" crap either...this isn't some absurd example of having to walk uphill (somehow), both ways in a blizzard. This is schools being canceled before snow even begins falling, despite it only being 6 measly inches.

Yup. We'd wait to hear on school cancellation when 6 inches had already landed by 7am - no dice. It had to be a blizzard or -20 something windchill.

Ridiculous.

Hi.jpg

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..

Ridiculous.

Sounds similar to me. I think I had 2 or 3 days off for snow/obscene cold from K-8. The only way we would get a snow day is if it started falling heavy at 4 am or later and they couldn't clear the roads well enough in time.

Ridiculous.

In general, we're a lot more worried about kid's safety/transportation issues, which is always a positive. Buses don't exactly cruise through the snow.

It's also a lot easier to make a call and cancel it based on forecast and allow families to plan. If the kids are going to be home, you may need to stay home from work, find a babysitter, etc. It's a lot easier to do that night before or really early in the morning instead of playing chicken with them figuring out whether to cancel or not.

It's also not too easy to have them get into school, have them call it an early dismissal day, and you either need to pick them up from school, or again, make arrangements for someone to be home for them after their long bus ride home.

It's snowing right now, apparently places will get 4-8 inches and the worst part will be in the afternoon for the ride home. I don't really understand how canceling is such a "wussification" issue.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
In general, we're a lot more worried about kid's safety/transportation issues, which is always a positive. Buses don't exactly cruise through the snow.

It's also a lot easier to make a call and cancel it based on forecast and allow families to plan. If the kids are going to be home, you may need to stay home from work, find a babysitter, etc. It's a lot easier to do that night before or really early in the morning instead of playing chicken with them figuring out whether to cancel or not.

It's also not too easy to have them get into school, have them call it an early dismissal day, and you either need to pick them up from school, or again, make arrangements for someone to be home for them after their long bus ride home.

It's snowing right now, apparently places will get 4-8 inches and the worst part will be in the afternoon for the ride home. I don't really understand how canceling is such a "wussification" issue.

Because it's not much snow? Maybe that's why. And busses, cars and all automobiles cruise through the snow much better and safer today than ever before.

Standard modern over-reaction to something that while it's an inconvenience, it's also not a life threatening Blizzard. With how much salt they dump in cities/suburbs these days, it's practically a non-issue.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Someone's really upset they didn't have enough snow days as a kid.

Maybe he is just friends with a lot of teachers on facebook who never stfu about getting a day off on a random Tuesday with bad weather vs realizing they jsut lost a sweet ass beautiful day in June?

God, those teachers never stfu.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Someone's really upset they didn't have enough snow days as a kid.

Not really, I actually got a good education. While, I admit, as a kid I would have loved for school to be canceled every day, or every time a few inches of snow fell, as an adult I realize that I'm better off that it wasn't. Also, when I was a kid, being that in the early 80's, we didn't have front wheel drive, or snow plows going down every city street all hours of the day/night, either. Yet somehow we made it alive. Like I said, wussification.

Go buy yourself a trophy for being alive, not because you earned one. :P

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Maybe he is just friends with a lot of teachers on facebook who never stfu about getting a day off on a random Tuesday with bad weather vs realizing they jsut lost a sweet ass beautiful day in June?

God, those teachers never stfu.

I'm friends with one, but he makes me sick with his summer vacations. :D

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)

Alot of it is the child care issue. The are lot more dual income families now then "back then." The stay at home parent is not the norm anymore so there needs to be more planning otherwise they will all complain to the school about not being able to get childcare in time.

That being said cancelling school before the snow even starts is ridiculous. We found out at 6pm last night and snow did not start falling here until 8am. There still isn't much on the roads and the school day is about 1/2 over.

I gonna go with it mainly being about the ISAT testing and how bad that'd f*** the scheduling up compared to playing it safe for a day.

eta: when I went to bed last night, the snow was still anticipated to start around 3am and get worse throughout the morning. If you're reasonably anticipating have issues with late buses, absent children or getting everyone home without an early dismissal, it's much more convenient for everyone to call it the night before so arrangements can be made.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Alot of it is the child care issue. The are lot more dual income families now then "back then." The stay at home parent is not the norm anymore so there needs to be more planning otherwise they will all complain to the school about not being able to get childcare in time.

That being said cancelling school before the snow even starts is ridiculous. We found out at 6pm last night and snow did not start falling here until 8am. There still isn't much on the roads and the school day is about 1/2 over.

I agree. While safety should be taken into account, it seems like they're ready to jump the gun for any reason whatsoever, to delay or excuse education or anything that's inconvenient or hard in life these days. It's like were looking for additional excuses to make our kids even less educated/competitive with the rest of the world, and of course, we'll blame the lack of funding for it, despite the fact we spend more per child than any other nation on the planet, and continue to rank like 15th, if we're lucky.

IMO, this is just another excuse. Oh, and that makeup day in June where the kids show up to school and do nothing all day...yea, that'll help them compete later in life.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
I gonna go with it mainly being about the ISAT testing and how bad that'd f*** the scheduling up compared to playing it safe for a day.

eta: when I went to bed last night, the snow was still anticipated to start around 3am and get worse throughout the morning. If you're reasonably anticipating have issues with late buses, absent children or getting everyone home without an early dismissal, it's much more convenient for everyone to call it the night before so arrangements can be made.

Yes, if only something like the Internet, or 24/7 news organizations existed to spread the word last minute in a very quick, efficient manner.

Oh, wait...son of a b****, would you look at that, we actually DO have those technologies. Maybe we should actually use them instead of talking about using them and pre-canceling s*** like it takes 30 years for word to travel about school closings. Hell, even back in the 80's, we waited until THAT morning to see if school was closed.

Excuses.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I agree. While safety should be taken into account, it seems like they're ready to jump the gun for any reason whatsoever, to delay or excuse education or anything that's inconvenient or hard in life these days. It's like were looking for additional excuses to make our kids even less educated/competitive with the rest of the world, and of course, we'll blame the lack of funding for it, despite the fact we spend more per child than any other nation on the planet, and continue to rank like 15th, if we're lucky.

IMO, this is just another excuse. Oh, and that makeup day in June where the kids show up to school and do nothing all day...yea, that'll help them compete later in life.

If we had this many snow days in the 20s & 30s, I guarantee we would have lost World War II.