Sox vs. Rangers 2/27

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the Sox are overwhelmed, there's absolutely no point to trade him.

With all due respect , I am not sure I understand why he would not be traded. Morel is at best an average third baseman who has had back issues.

The Sox have acquired two guys that are just as good if not better in Keppinger and Gillaspie.

Beckham can play third if necessary. That makes Morel expendable in my opinion.

I don't see a spot for him on the 25 man roster if Gillaspie and Keppinger make it.

Edited by southside_hitman

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
With all due respect , I am not sure I understand why he would not be traded. Morel is at best an average third baseman who has had back issues.

The Sox have acquired two guys that are just as good if not better in Keppinger and Gillaspie.

I don't see a spot for him on the 25 man roster if Gillaspie and Keppinger make it.

That's entirely fine. So why can't he play 3b in Charlotte? (leaving him particularly useful if someone else in the IF gets hurt or struggels and Keppinger, with a utility player background, winds up moving).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
That's entirely fine. So why can't he play 3b in Charlotte? (leaving him particularly useful if someone else in the IF gets hurt or struggels and Keppinger, with a utility player background, winds up moving).

I could agree with this, but on the other hand, Morel is a guy with back issues. If he has a good spring, but doesn't make the team, I think that I would rather take what I could get for him before his back gives out again.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
I could agree with this, but on the other hand, Morel is a guy with back issues. If he has a good spring, but doesn't make the team, I think that I would rather take what I could get for him before his back gives out again.

And why would another team give up something valuable for him if they think his back might give out again? The fact that he had a back injury isn't exactly a big secret.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
And why would another team give up something valuable for him if they think his back might give out again? The fact that he had a back injury isn't exactly a big secret.

I don't know, but if there is a team desperate for a 3rd baseman they might do some stupid things.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I don't know, but if there is a team desperate for a 3rd baseman they might do some stupid things.

Like stated above, if the Sox are overwhelmed - as in a legitimate prospect for Morel - there's no reason to hang onto him. But they likely won't be and you'll end up with a very mediocre player in return.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)

They aren't going to be getting back anything for him. That's why.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
If you trade Morel after or during spring training, you are going to get a player who is less valuable than Jeff Soptic.

I don't agree with that. If he shows he's healthy, there are plenty of teams that would want to take a chance on a plus defensive player at 3B that has shown some offensive promise. It's a gamble, but teams would give something better than a hard-throwing relief pitcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
I don't agree with that. If he shows he's healthy, there are plenty of teams that would want to take a chance on a plus defensive player at 3B that has shown some offensive promise. It's a gamble, but teams would give something better than a hard-throwing relief pitcher.

I certainly wouldn't give up a hard throwing, A-ball level relief pitcher for him at the end of spring training.

If he came out for the whole season, stayed healthy, and put up a >900 OPS at Charlotte, then I might give you an A-ball pitcher for him, but not a great one.