Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Yeah I heard Lebatard inadvertently mention the Mike & Mike changes. I guess they are hoping to pull from some of their depth to help some of their other programming?

I will be interested to see what they do with Golic. I'd be interested if they replaced Greenie with Bomani Jones or Russillo. I feel like Kanell is just weighing RR down.

If anyone, I would think Adnan Virk if only because he's like a poor man's Mike Greenberg

The sooner they pull that monstrosity that is Lebatard, the sooner I will begin to listen to ESPN radio again in the mornings. Just pure awfulness. In fact, it got so bad that LA pulled the plug on them a couple weeks back and now I at least get Keyshawn and some other guy during my morning commute. Lebatard show is so godawful. Yes, I am one of those people they always make fun of who doesn't understand their stupid schtick. What do I know, felt the same way about Rome.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I'm upset that my local affiliate is having a local show instead of Bomani Jones' show.

I mean, he talks way too much about NBA stuff, but I enjoy his thought processes.

TuneIn app on your phone or Radio.com on phone or computer should get you Bomani wherever he is broadcast

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
TuneIn app on your phone or Radio.com on phone or computer should get you Bomani wherever he is broadcast

I'm in my car when his show is on. I'm not that interested in donating more data cash to Verizon than I already do.

I know that it's on the ESPN Radio App as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
The sooner they pull that monstrosity that is Lebatard, the sooner I will begin to listen to ESPN radio again in the mornings. Just pure awfulness. In fact, it got so bad that LA pulled the plug on them a couple weeks back and now I at least get Keyshawn and some other guy during my morning commute. Lebatard show is so godawful. Yes, I am one of those people they always make fun of who doesn't understand their stupid schtick. What do I know, felt the same way about Rome.

Yeah, they are just awful.

As much as Cowherd was obnoxious and elitist at times, at least he talked about some thought-provoking things once in awhile.

The only good thing about Lebatard's show is the segment they do with "Tom" Kirkjian about what certain sports personalities look like.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Yeah, they are just awful.

As much as Cowherd was obnoxious and elitist at times, at least he talked about some thought-provoking things once in awhile.

The only good thing about Lebatard's show is the segment they do with "Tom" Kirkjian about what certain sports personalities look like.

See, I always liked Colin cause while he could get obnoxious at times, I always thought he was pretty intellectual and could bring up a lot of thought provoking stuff. He clearly had an ego, but I could deal with it cause the general topics, guests, etc were all interesting. I don't think I've heard but a few interesting segments yet on Lebatard (and I gave him a legit month to month and a half and would still flip when Dan Patrick was on a commercial break). Used to be I was split 50/50 between ESPN / Dan Patrick in the AM (really dependent on what each area was talking about and somewhat of a who happened to be on commercial when I started my commute). That has totally changed (and normally I listen to ESPN on my drive home so ESPN generally got the bulk of my radio dial in the AM).

The new show I get as a Lebatard replacement is okay, but being a non local fan, prefer the national shows because I get a better feel for the overall news day vs. the local talk about the Dodgers / Lakers which I don't really care that much about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-isnt-too-...fail-1788556607

Pretty brutal read. The Ringer is in a tailspin the past few months.

Something has just been off about it. One - it was totally safe. Without Wesley Morris and others their culture reporting just devolved into "the ringer take" on the obvious hot button issue of day.

Mays is fine, but he's not Barnwell. There's no Zach Lowe. And Netwerk can only do so much.

That and why can't simmons just do a damn mailbag?

Simmons 5-6 years ago was really good. But even reading his tweets now he's like a wounded puppy, that knows he kind of lost touch with the pop culture pulse and just keeps piping on about wrestling and deflategate.

• 2 weeks later...

So Terry Boers finally officially announced he will retire with the last show being January 5th. A really emotional farewell today I couldn't help but miss the guy already. It sounded like his future health is up in the air for whatever he is battling.

I always liked Boers.

When he wrote for the Sun Times, he was what Jay Mariotti tried to be. He generally took a viewpoint that might not have been popular (eg. Writing negative stuff about Ditka or ND), but it was well done. His ND columns used to drive my Dad nuts.

I was a big fan of the early Score. Jiggets & North. McNeil & Boers. I used to listen to them every day when I was at work. It's too bad McNeil & North were such dbags. They basically blew up the station with their attitudes and arrogance. I never liked Boers & Bernstein, but that's 99% about Bernstein in my mind. I just can't stand to listen to him.

Wishing Terry the best. Hopefully a long, healthy retirement.

I have to think Abbattacola has the inside track. He doesnt take Bernsteins crap, longtime producer that has been hosting weekend shows for a long time, he just seems like he would be the choice.

Not a fan of it though, he trolls hard. Bernstein is a genuine crank that irritates people naturally, Abbattacola tries hard.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Why hire Haugh when you could just put a warm glass of milk on a stool in front of the mic and blow bubbles into it

LOL so true, Haugh is terrible on so many levels.

I dont think its Abbatacola though, I bet they bring in someone from the outside that would be more of an attention grabber. The Score looks for that most of the time.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
LOL so true, Haugh is terrible on so many levels.

I dont think its Abbatacola though, I bet they bring in someone from the outside that would be more of an attention grabber. The Score looks for that most of the time.

I heard Dan McNeil is looking for a job...

/green

I went to Another Round in Downers Grove today and met both Abbatacola and Bernstein. Bernstein is a short dude and is not that tough off the air like he is on the air, even though he still doesn't listen to you unless you interject. He didn't really want to address how to have a "good" call with him after I brought it up and probably prefers arguing with callers over the air. Abbatacola was a great guy, hope he gets Terry's spot.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I hate that show now, it's run was incredible, especially with how quick some shows came and went. They were appointment radio in the early 2000's but I just got tired of it. I'd like to hear the end of the show to hear how they sign off. Hopefully it will be up online since I'll be at work.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
I went to Another Round in Downers Grove today and met both Abbatacola and Bernstein. Bernstein is a short dude and is not that tough off the air like he is on the air, even though he still doesn't listen to you unless you interject. He didn't really want to address how to have a "good" call with him after I brought it up and probably prefers arguing with callers over the air. Abbatacola was a great guy, hope he gets Terry's spot.

before he moved to the regular rotation he was hysterical. I remember one Saturday morning he did a show on which cartoon characters would make the best football team ie, Fred flintstone at qb, the kangaroo from sylvester and tweety at kicker...

However, when he made the daytime rotation he just became an arrogant contrarian to make headlines and ratings. He really isn't that bad of a guy in person but he let's the "on air" persona get far too carried away,which is a shame.