Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
I listen to The Score interviews podcast, and at least they seem to make an effort to bring on some Sox guests. I'm sure the main body of the shows is mostly Cubs talk, though.

I used to listen to ESPN 1000, and they didn't even try. They had Doug Padilla following the Sox, and Jesse Rogers following the Cubs. Rogers had to be on ten times more frequently than Padilla. Now they don't have anyone following the Sox at all.

Keep in mind, I live out of town, so I have to go somewhere for Chicago-centric sports news, and SoxTalk is my first stop.

Looking at the 670 lineup:

Mully and Hanley: Mully and 1 of the producers are huge Sox fans. They talk Sox a ton.

Speigel and Goff: Goff is a Sox fan and Spiegel loves baseball and talks both. They talk a ton of Sox.

Boers and Bernstein: Bernstein and their lead producer are both Sox fans, the team is good, and they talk Sox.

Laurence Holmes: Is a Sox fan and talks a ton of Sox as well.

Levine and Bernfield: Talk mostly Cubs on Saturday mornings but Sox tough to ignore now.

Hit and Run: They talk the whole time about both times. Joe O is a Cubs fan but writes about Sox in Daily Herald.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:51 PM)
1st place Sox win in extra innings with a Grand Slam (not a walk-off, I know), and on ESPN Chicago, 18 of the first 21 baseball stories/videos feature the 1st place Cubs - who were rained out. I guess that's a fairly even split.

You should stop at Soxtalk first.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Looking at the 670 lineup:

Mully and Hanley: Mully and 1 of the producers are huge Sox fans. They talk Sox a ton.

Speigel and Goff: Goff is a Sox fan and Spiegel loves baseball and talks both. They talk a ton of Sox.

Boers and Bernstein: Bernstein and their lead producer are both Sox fans, the team is good, and they talk Sox.

Laurence Holmes: Is a Sox fan and talks a ton of Sox as well.

Levine and Bernfield: Talk mostly Cubs on Saturday mornings but Sox tough to ignore now.

Hit and Run: They talk the whole time about both times. Joe O is a Cubs fan but writes about Sox in Daily Herald.

I guess we listen to a different Mully and Hanley.

This morning it was how they were wrong on Garcia but it has been against the twins and texas where it's a hitters ballpark so he should hit well there. The next topic was how the attendance is awful even for a good team like Boston in town. Granted I only listened to 10 minutes while shaving but that was all they discussed at that time and none of it was a positive.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Jesus. He gets paid so much to talk on the fricking radio and can't keep a gig without being an ass. Just do your job.

And I feel like he won't get a shot on the score... or WMVP. I mean, i'm not sure, but I can't imagine either or those bridges being anything but burned down.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Jesus. He gets paid so much to talk on the fricking radio and can't keep a gig without being an ass. Just do your job.

Soooo much money. Is there an old fart radio.jock union I'm not aware of? It's the same guys getting recycled in every job

Herb Lawrence thinks that McNeil will wind up back at the Score it seems.

Terry Boers is retiring in January 2017 so there will be a spot open somehow. One of the afternoon or evening guys will probably move over with Bernstein and that will open up something. The Score is always trying to shake things up so who knows.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
Herb Lawrence thinks that McNeil will wind up back at the Score it seems.

Terry Boers is retiring in January 2017 so there will be a spot open somehow. One of the afternoon or evening guys will probably move over with Bernstein and that will open up something. The Score is always trying to shake things up so who knows.

If I had to guess, you go with Goff and Bernstein (Spiegel doesn't much agree with Goff) and then put Mac back. That, of course, still seems unlikely, seeing as I'm not sure the hatchet can be buried between McNeil and Spiegel after the first collapse.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
If I had to guess, you go with Goff and Bernstein (Spiegel doesn't much agree with Goff) and then put Mac back. That, of course, still seems unlikely, seeing as I'm not sure the hatchet can be buried between McNeil and Spiegel after the first collapse.

Spiegel seems like one of the more forgiving people in the business but yeah, he also knows when to draw the line with people too.

I never understood why Mac was so popular in radio though, he never brought anything to the table where I thought to myself...damn thats a good point. Not that the other guys bring that very often but they many of them are at least capable.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
Spiegel seems like one of the more forgiving people in the business but yeah, he also knows when to draw the line with people too.

I never understood why Mac was so popular in radio though, he never brought anything to the table where I thought to myself...damn thats a good point. Not that the other guys bring that very often but they many of them are at least capable.

The old Mac, Jurko, and Harry show was tolerable in small doses, but it wasn't all that good.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
McNeil should be Kaplan's partner on 1000.

That would be interesting. As much as his Cubs love does sometimes get in the way of what one would consider a professional broadcast, Kaplan is supposedly one of the nicest guys in the industry. He has had Danny Mac on his CSN show a few times, and they seem to get along pretty well. But Danny Mac eventually has problems with everybody. It would be interesting to see how long it takes for him to get Kap to crack.

• 2 weeks later...