Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 25, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
It's a drop from a Gas Money episode a couple years ago. B&B played it a lot.

The Gas Money Bob twitter account is pretty funny.

People b**** and moan about B&B all the time. Just don't listen to them if you don't like them. It's that easy.

Edited by Deadpool

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 25, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
B&B get a kick out of the littlest things, beat a dead horse with them, and their minions think the things are hilarious as well for no reason.

Rinse repeat.

I actually think the 83 drop is pretty damn funny. The guy could have been saying anything with that voice but what makes it funny is the randomness to which that number is said is more often than you would think and they are ready with that damn drop right away when someone says it. Its totally stupid but still funny.

The Ringer articles are so crazy short compared to Grantland. They end at the point where most grantland articles ...kinda began I guess. Honestly kinda bored by it. Hoping Shea pumps some life into it.

OMG what a speech by Craig Sager at the ESPYs tonight. Please watch the segment that led into his speech and his speech. Touching and beautiful. Inspirational. Will be played over and over as Jim Valvano's speech.

Hopefully Sager will kick leukemia, but what a great great speech.

He mentioned mind over matter. He thinks one's mental state of mind can help cancer patients be stronger than most believe they can be during chemo. For instance, they showed Sager getting chemo in Houston, driving himself (no limo here) to San Antonio for a game, returning to Houston the next day (driving himself) for more chemo.

BLESS HIM. I hope he is cured!

Bernstein had Anthony Lubrano (not sure of his exact affiliation, but he's a Penn State "Paterno-Phile") on 7/12. It's really a good example of what I don't like about Bernstein. He basically ambushes Lubrano and won't let him speak because he's not in full lock step with Bernstein. I'm not defending Lubrano's stance - I really don't know anything about him. However, if a guest has the courtesy to call, he should at least be allowed to speak.

They go back and forth for a little while. Bernstein makes a few personal attacks. Yet, Lubrano, at the end, offers to meet with Bernstein when Lubrano comes to Chicago. Bernstein accepted, but my guess is that he won't actually meet with Lubrano.

Bernstein was actually doing really well, and then brought up Lobranos divorce and then everything spiraled out of control.

I sympathize with nobody in that interview, Lobrano was victim shaming the entire time, calling them liars without coming out and saying it. He kept repeating that the victims were all using uncorroborated and unsubstantiated accounts. f*** that guy

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Bernstein had Anthony Lubrano (not sure of his exact affiliation, but he's a Penn State "Paterno-Phile") on 7/12. It's really a good example of what I don't like about Bernstein. He basically ambushes Lubrano and won't let him speak because he's not in full lock step with Bernstein. I'm not defending Lubrano's stance - I really don't know anything about him. However, if a guest has the courtesy to call, he should at least be allowed to speak.

They go back and forth for a little while. Bernstein makes a few personal attacks. Yet, Lubrano, at the end, offers to meet with Bernstein when Lubrano comes to Chicago. Bernstein accepted, but my guess is that he won't actually meet with Lubrano.

Lubrano's defense of Joe Paterno basically hinges on the fact that Joe Paterno died before he could face trial.

That's not good enough to excuse him of all of his crimes. He harbored a monster for years.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Nothing pleases me more to see Waddle and Silvy kicking the s*** out of B&B the last year or so in the ratings. People have finally had enough..

Agreed. Never met Waddle but Silvy has been as cool as can be the couple times I've met him and Tom at least doesn't act like an ass on the station. Happy to seee Bernstein get his ass kicked by some good dudes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
Bernstein was actually doing really well, and then brought up Lobranos divorce and then everything spiraled out of control.

I sympathize with nobody in that interview, Lobrano was victim shaming the entire time, calling them liars without coming out and saying it. He kept repeating that the victims were all using uncorroborated and unsubstantiated accounts. f*** that guy

Sounds about right on everything.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)

Agreed. Once Bernstein brought up his personal life, I lost all respect for the interview. In no way do I agree with Lobrano (frankly, he seems nuts), but you don't bring up the guy's marriage, divorce, etc. Way out of line.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Agreed. Never met Waddle but Silvy has been as cool as can be the couple times I've met him and Tom at least doesn't act like an ass on the station. Happy to seee Bernstein get his ass kicked by some good dudes.

Met Waddle probably 10 years ago at Love's Yogurt in Wilmette. Extremely nice.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)

To reiterate, I'm not on Lobrano's side at all.

It's terrible that Penn State looked the other way in this sex scandal. However, it's really disingenuous for Bernstein to have a guy on who is involved with the university and ask him to speak freely. Bernstein was insisting that Lobrano give his opinion. What does his opinion matter? He's not going to do it. Bernstein was grandstanding.

When Lobrano pressed back and asked for specifics about the newspaper article Bernstein was quoting, and Bernstein didn't have more info, Bernstein was quick to dismiss the line of questioning.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
To reiterate, I'm not on Lobrano's side at all.

It's terrible that Penn State looked the other way in this sex scandal. However, it's really disingenuous for Bernstein to have a guy on who is involved with the university and ask him to speak freely. Bernstein was insisting that Lobrano give his opinion. What does his opinion matter? He's not going to do it. Bernstein was grandstanding.

When Lobrano pressed back and asked for specifics about the newspaper article Bernstein was quoting, and Bernstein didn't have more info, Bernstein was quick to dismiss the line of questioning.

Certainly not saying you are, and I agree with you

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)

Lobrano also used the "Well i have a bunch of information you dont have" excuse without explaining any of it. I thought that it was a terrible interview for everyone involved

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 05:16 AM)
Certainly not saying you are, and I agree with you

Lobrano also used the "Well i have a bunch of information you dont have" excuse without explaining any of it. I thought that it was a terrible interview for everyone involved

So, we're good? - Marc Maron?

You heard it exactly like I did then, and that's where Bernstein ultimately failed in the interview. Lubrano alluded to having more info, but Bernstein never simply said, "so, what info do you have that we don't?" That would have changed my opinion of the whole interview. But, half of a conversation is listening, and guys like Bernstein don't listen, they are just waiting to talk.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
So, we're good? - Marc Maron?

You heard it exactly like I did then, and that's where Bernstein ultimately failed in the interview. Lubrano alluded to having more info, but Bernstein never simply said, "so, what info do you have that we don't?" That would have changed my opinion of the whole interview. But, half of a conversation is listening, and guys like Bernstein don't listen, they are just waiting to talk.

Bernstein messed up so many times in that interview i lost count. He was so concerned in getting his "gotcha" moment that he completely lost sight of professionalism.

To me, I would have started with "Why is Penn State up to 92 million dollars in payouts to victims if what you say is true, and every statement is unsubstantiated and uncorroborated?"

It was also interesting that Lobrano felt like justice was done for Sandusky but that is completely separate from Paterno, as if they are different cases altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to like B&B. Mostly because it seemed like they had fun. But the Aroldis Chapman trade was the last straw. Bernstein ripped the Blackhawks over Patrick Kane (no, I don't want to get into it again), but Bernstein shook off the Chapman trade as, well, sometimes you overlook these things to win.

I think someone tried to call him out on it, and he pulled, the "Well, it's a different situation..."

No, it's not. Either you are against abuse or you aren't. Either you give the guy a pass or you don't. Either you wait for the law to run its course or you don't. There's no gray area when it comes to abuse in any form. Or any team. Whether it be Penn State, the Blackhawks or the Cubs. I am done with them and I am done with him.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
I used to like B&B. Mostly because it seemed like they had fun. But the Aroldis Chapman trade was the last straw. Bernstein ripped the Blackhawks over Patrick Kane (no, I don't want to get into it again), but Bernstein shook off the Chapman trade as, well, sometimes you overlook these things to win.

I think someone tried to call him out on it, and he pulled, the "Well, it's a different situation..."

No, it's not. Either you are against abuse or you aren't. Either you give the guy a pass or you don't. Either you wait for the law to run its course or you don't. There's no gray area when it comes to abuse in any form. Or any team. Whether it be Penn State, the Blackhawks or the Cubs. I am done with them and I am done with him.

The cognitive dissidence has been palpable the past few days. The Cubs radio contract is clearly a factor, Abbatacola basically admitted as much.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
The cognitive dissidence has been palpable the past few days. The Cubs radio contract is clearly a factor, Abbatacola basically admitted as much.

It's ridiculous. And for someone so high and mighty, like Bernstein, to just drop his values because of a contract with a team...makes me puke. And he didn't give a damn ripping the Sox when they had that contract.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)

Bernstein is all against the violation of women... unless it is to his own benefit, and then hey totally cool.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Bernstein is all against the violation of women... unless it is to his own benefit, and then hey totally cool.

I'm very forgiving. It's hard to remember what you said two years ago when your job is to talk every day. But, he took such a stand on Patrick Kane. Then, he kind of laughs off the "boob" comment on Twitter. Now, he thinks it's ok for the Cubs to trade for Chapman because, "They are trying to win?"

No. Just no.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm very forgiving. It's hard to remember what you said two years ago when your job is to talk every day. But, he took such a stand on Patrick Kane. Then, he kind of laughs off the "boob" comment on Twitter. Now, he thinks it's ok for the Cubs to trade for Chapman because, "They are trying to win?"

No. Just no.

He described the Cubs as "a lot less likable" after the trade. Bernstein's response to the Chapman trade has been less militant because most of Chicago seems understands that Chapman is a monster and aren't super comfortable having him on the Cubs. He went hard on Patrick Kane because that situation was a textbook case of mistreatment of potential sexual assault victims by fans and media.

Edited by Deadpool