ST: Reds at Sox 3/2

flavum

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
HOW COULD ROBIN TAKE QUINTANA OUT?!?! HE HAD A PERFECT GAME!

Robin obviously isnt very interested in managing, and we should probably look for another manager before spring training is over

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
I thought the rationale of signing Wise to a MLB deal was specifically to not need Mitchell on the MLB team.

Sometimes prospects push their way in, one way or another. Also you have to think Tekotte could also be a candidate

Some of the pitchers obviously like throwing to Gimenez, and Phegley's had some impressive AB's as well in early spring.

It's going to be an interesting battle. Anderson has the advantage of being a lefty bat, so that seems like a good match.

As far as Mitchell goes, he's shown this type of burst in spring training before....and then he's gotten ice cold. Same with 2012 in the minors. He has to do it consistently. The opposite field homer off Galarraga was nice, but where has Armando been since that no-hitter in 2010?

There's really not much point in sitting him (Mitchell) on the bench in Chicago, although certainly there are some who view him at this point as nothing more than a 4th/5th infielder type and who feel there's definitely some benefit or upside to learning under the tutelage of the major league staff and from DeAza and Rios.

Tekotte and Wise are in the mix, but you'd have to think that Wise is still the favorite until they go with future/upside over the veteran leadership. Somewhere in the rotation is Jordan Danks too, on the outside looking in, clearly.

Does Melton get worse (didn't think possible) every spring? And I'd almost prefer Rongey or Brooks Boyer to whoever that guy was today. He misidentified a Reds player coming in to make a catch as Viciedo. And Melton arguing that Viciedo's going to strike out a lot less because of his new leg kick. Well, it will be believed when seen. Who knows, maybe Melton can be right at least 15-20% of the time just by accident.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
I thought the rationale of signing Wise to a MLB deal was specifically to not need Mitchell on the MLB team.

It is, but they REALLY like Mitchell. You should have heard Buddy Bell glow about him when I asked about Mitchell. Hawkins was the only other guy he was THAT charged up about. He said nice things about everyone, of course, but his tone was different with Mitchell. It was more personal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
It is, but they REALLY like Mitchell. You should have heard Buddy Bell glow about him when I asked about Mitchell. Hawkins was the only other guy he was THAT charged up about. He said nice things about everyone, of course, but his tone was different with Mitchell. It was more personal.

Probably because he didn't give up on him after the devastating injury....with all the doomsayers wondering why we (and everyone in baseball but the Yankees and Angels didn't have Trout on their radar screens)...his difficult conversion from a WR/athlete to a baseball player, and his upside/potential to be a Carl Crawford Lite and add some spark and excitement. Plus, Mitchell and Viciedo were our only legit prospects at that time, so he's been around him from the very beginning, from the time he was drafted, through the ups and downs of the 2011 and 2012.

It looks doubtful he will ever be a great basestealer at the major league level, and you have to disagree with him having the same type of baseball speed as Carl Crawford at ages 23-26, but he's got more natural power than Crawford, too. How many opposite field homers has Crawford hit in his career? I'd guess just a handful.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)

I don't know what the deal was, but the Mitchell I saw for a few games last summer was not a guy you'd glow about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't know what the deal was, but the Mitchell I saw for a few games last summer was not a guy you'd glow about.

When a rookie performs well in ST it seems there is always that temptation to put him on the roster breaking camp. But, there never seems to be a full-time role for them and consequently they sit. I think Mitchell and a couple other prospects might be better off at AAA this year and I am betting 2014 and 2015 we see the changes happening using folks from our own system to fill the holes

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
When a rookie performs well in ST it seems there is always that temptation to put him on the roster breaking camp. But, there never seems to be a full-time role for them and consequently they sit. I think Mitchell and a couple other prospects might be better off at AAA this year and I am betting 2014 and 2015 we see the changes happening using folks from our own system to fill the holes

Now that I stopped and thought about it...De Aza's been great, but one knock on him is health. I'm not sure if you'd count him as "injury prone" when so much of his problem has been one enormous, career-threatening injury, but I could definitely see some time being available for Mitchell filling in for De Aza if Jared plays well enough to earn it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)

I think Mitchell still can be a solid every day player, but he still has A LOT of work to do in order to reach MLB status. One guy who will make an impact as early as next year will be Courtney Hawkins. From everything I am reading and seeing from this kid, he is legit. I think Hawkins will likely take over in LF next year with Viciedo going to 1B. (Assuming PK retires). If Mitchell has a tremendous 2013 down in AAA, he may be able to take over in CF in 2014.

The infusion of youth is just about to arrive in the outfield. However, we are one more year away......

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
I think Mitchell still can be a solid every day player, but he still has A LOT of work to do in order to reach MLB status. One guy who will make an impact as early as next year will be Courtney Hawkins. From everything I am reading and seeing from this kid, he is legit. I think Hawkins will likely take over in LF next year with Viciedo going to 1B. (Assuming PK retires). If Mitchell has a tremendous 2013 down in AAA, he may be able to take over in CF in 2014.

The infusion of youth is just about to arrive in the outfield. However, we are one more year away......

I do not think Hawkins will be a regular next year. He is still too raw from the accounts I've heard. Possibly 2015 but that's even stretching it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I do not think Hawkins will be a regular next year. He is still too raw from the accounts I've heard. Possibly 2015 but that's even stretching it.

I think that's stretching it the wrong way. What if he cuts up A and AA pitching this year? Many of the really great ones start young.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
I think that's stretching it the wrong way. What if he cuts up A and AA pitching this year? Many of the really great ones start young.

Agreed. I would not be surprised to see him scratch the surface of AA or even AAA this year.