Trade possibility - Dewayne Wise to Yankees

peteward

"We're down an outfield bat right now, too. See if he can play center or not."

—General manager Brian Cashman, on RHP Joba Chamberlain saying he would like to be a starter again at some point.

For the Yankees, it seems like trading to get Dwayne Wise back would make a lot of sense, especially given Grandersons injury.

Wise was a key player and clutch hitter when DeAza went down last season so I was glad when he was signed.

However, the Sox have other options that they could look at of they trade Wise and could get younger with players like Jordan Danks or Blake Tekotte.

I would at least listen to offers if the Yankees came calling for Wise.

I'm one who really likes Wise as a backup outfielder right now. And, beyond that, you aren't going to get anything more than a future utility guy at best for Wise, which ultimately means you are essentially getting nothing.

You don't ever want to close a door, but I don't see a match here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
I'm one who really likes Wise as a backup outfielder right now. And, beyond that, you aren't going to get anything more than a future utility guy at best for Wise, which ultimately means you are essentially getting nothing.

You don't ever want to close a door, but I don't see a match here.

Yeah, I completely agree. I absolutely despised Wise when we tried to make him a starter a few years ago, but I really liked what he offered as a reserve outfielder last season. He can help in a variety of ways, which is great when you have a four man bench. IMO, he's a more well-rounded reserve than Jordan Danks and he deserves the 4th outfielder spot to open the season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah, I completely agree. I absolutely despised Wise when we tried to make him a starter a few years ago, but I really liked what he offered as a reserve outfielder last season. He can help in a variety of ways, which is great when you have a four man bench. IMO, he's a more well-rounded reserve than Jordan Danks and he deserves the 4th outfielder spot to open the season.

I'm not sure anyone other than Ozzie and maybe Williams liked the idea of Wise starting in CF. It was set up for failure. It was the reason I hated the Erstad signing to begin with, even though the "idea" was to have him be a backup in the outfield and 1B...you just knew that was never going to happen.

As a backup, he's great. He's got a nice, quick swing, some power, he's smart on the base paths, he can control the bat, he plays solid defense at all 3 spots, he can run a little bit, and he seems ultimately unphased by clutch situations (so as to not say he is "clutch" but that they don't really affect his overall performance).

I think Jordan Danks can put up similar or even "better" numbers off the bench, but with a bench player like that, I am going to want to see WPA and I think Wise, all things being equal between the two, will have a better WPA this year than will Danks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm not sure anyone other than Ozzie and maybe Williams liked the idea of Wise starting in CF. It was set up for failure. It was the reason I hated the Erstad signing to begin with, even though the "idea" was to have him be a backup in the outfield and 1B...you just knew that was never going to happen.

As a backup, he's great. He's got a nice, quick swing, some power, he's smart on the base paths, he can control the bat, he plays solid defense at all 3 spots, he can run a little bit, and he seems ultimately unphased by clutch situations (so as to not say he is "clutch" but that they don't really affect his overall performance).

I think Jordan Danks can put up similar or even "better" numbers off the bench, but with a bench player like that, I am going to want to see WPA and I think Wise, all things being equal between the two, will have a better WPA this year than will Danks.

Plus if he is only going to be playing once a week, I would rather see Wise do it, and let Danks play everyday in Charlotte.

I was not suggesting that any of our prospects has beaten out Wise for the 4th outfield spot.

I was mentioning the possibility of a trade because having Wise on the 25 man roster is almost a certainty given his Contract. That essentially blocks any of the younger guys from making the club. Tekotte, for example is what, almost 10 years younger than Wise?

My thought was that if the Yankees (or some other club) offered a prospect for Wise, the Sox could get younger and not be sacrificing too much. Actually, having a player with more speed come in to pinch run might add another dimension to what Wise can do.

Outside this notion of a possible trade, I am interested to hear what any one thinks about Blake Tekotte and his chances to make the roster this season or beyond.

Edited by southside_hitman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Robin really seemed to like Wise as well. I can't see him going anywhere this year.

Plus he fills the left handed bat role as a PH and such that we seem to need. You never say never if the right proposal came along, but I don't like to see youth stuck in back up roles as they need regular playing time to develop. Wise knows his role and how to prepare for it

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I was not suggesting that any of our prospects has beaten out Wise for the 4th outfield spot.

I was mentioning the possibility of a trade because having Wise on the 25 man roster is almost a certainty given his Contract. That essentially blocks any of the younger guys from making the club. Tekotte, for example is what, almost 10 years younger than Wise?

My thought was that if the Yankees (or some other club) offered a prospect for Wise, the Sox could get younger and not be sacrificing too much. Actually, having a player with more speed come in to pinch run might add another dimension to what Wise can do.

Outside this notion of a possible trade, I am interested to hear what any one thinks about Blake Tekotte and his chances to make the roster this season or beyond.

Tekotte isn't much of a prospect, in fact, I'd be shocked if the Sox like him more than Jordan Danks. Wise should be a good back up. Plays all the OF positions pretty well. Can hit RHP. Can pinch run, and they love him in the clubhouse. I don't see a reason to make room for guys who haven't shown they can play at the major league level coming out of the gate if you think you can win.

If it becomes apparent the Sox aren't going to contend at some point, then you can make room for these types of guys to give them a shot.

Why help out the Yankees if you think you can win and the deal isn't going to make your team better?

Edited by Dick Allen

It feels like it took 5 years to appreciate Wise for what he is-- nothing more, nothing less. For awhile here in the past, he was talked about like the scourge of baseball

In my experience, generally the 24th, 25th man takes an absolute undeserved beating on message boards. It'd be nice if maybe this rare extended experience we've had with one guy could serve as kind of a template for going forward. The 24th/25th man, by definition, can't really be that great. There aren't enough quality players to go around, but it is possible for said guy to have something to offer..and can still be appreciated

Edited by Jose Paniagua

In 347 PAs in the PCL last year, Blake Tekotte hit .243/.284/.402/.686 with 92 strikeouts and 18 walks. If you are upset that Tyler Flowers put up a .708 OPS whe the average AL OPS was .731, then there's no possible way you can consider a guy like Blake Tekotte a legitimate contender for a roster spot when he put up a .686 OPS in a less talented league where the average OPS was .775. That roughly translates to about a .625 OPS at the MLB level.

If you are upset that Tyler Flowers put up a .708 OPS whe the average AL OPS was .731, then there's no possible way you can consider a guy like Blake Tekotte a legitimate contender for a roster spot ....

Yes, but wouldn't you agree that a starting catcher roster spot is entirely different than a fourth outfielder/pinch hitter/pinch runner/ 24th or 25th man? The Flowers for AJ decision is one that may have larger consequences, so let's see how that plays out. Yes, I would have brought AJ back for one year, but that was my opinion, and it was based on more than just numbers. Hopefully Flowers provides decent offensive numbers and remains healthy throughout the season and everyone is happy with how it all turns out.

Unlike starting catcher, the 4th outfielder is a roster spot that could give be filled by a decent prospect who has some speed, can pinch run, play defense, etc. We have a few guys that could do that if need be. Wise is better than any of them right now and so, if the Yankees would not send a decent prospect back in return, I am quite happy having Wise back for one year. It makes the painting of "The Catch" in the outfield something that makes us smile when we remember his juggling act out there. I still think Wise was just trying to scare Mark and that he had it all the way. :)

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Yes, but wouldn't you agree that a starting catcher roster spot is entirely different than a fourth outfielder/pinch hitter/pinch runner/ 24th or 25th man? The Flowers for AJ decision is one that may have larger consequences, so let's see how that plays out. Yes, I would have brought AJ back for one year, but that was my opinion, and it was based on more than just numbers. Hopefully Flowers provides decent offensive numbers and remains healthy throughout the season and everyone is happy with how it all turns out.

Unlike starting catcher, the 4th outfielder is a roster spot that could give be filled by a decent prospect who has some speed, can pinch run, play defense, etc. We have a few guys that could do that if need be. Wise is better than any of them right now and so, if the Yankees would not send a decent prospect back in return, I am quite happy having Wise back for one year. It makes the painting of "The Catch" in the outfield something that makes us smile when we remember his juggling act out there. I still think Wise was just trying to scare Mark and that he had it all the way. :)

That's true but, given the amount of time Flowers had off, he essentially put up league average production at catcher while Tekotte was far below average against minor league pitching. That's a totally new level of incompetence. I also really only want about 1 dead bat on the roster (at the most) and that is for my backup middle infielder who I simply want to be able to field really well. Unless Tekotte is playing Bourjos like defense, he has no place on the roster.

We'll just forget I brought that example up. No need to rehash.

I also can't imagine a team that DFA'd Wise last year would suddenly send a decent prospect back now. You're more likely to get the prospect for Jordan Danks than you are Wise. I've been hoping the Danks bros can play a season together, but it's a business and if someone were to offer a good arm for Danks right now, I'd take it in a heartbeat. He really doesn't appear to have much of a future in Chicago and if someone else can find a good use for him, more power to them.

"That's true but, given the amount of time Flowers had off, he essentially put up league average production at catcher while Tekotte was far below average against minor league pitching. That's a totally new level of incompetence. I also really only want about 1 dead bat on the roster (at the most) and that is for my backup middle infielder who I simply want to be able to field really well. Unless Tekotte is playing Bourjos like defense, he has no place on the roster."

True, but he may become a bench player down the road. I'm not sure why the Sox got him given the plethora of young outfield prospects in the minors.

"We'll just forget I brought that example up. No need to rehash."

I never mentioned the catcher position in this thread until it was thrown up, apparently because one or more posters

took exception to my earlier stated concern about Tyler Flowers. The comparison was Flowers and AJ. The possibility

I mentioned here had nothing to do with catchers. It was whether one of our prospects could fill the 4th outfield spot if the Yanks wanted Wise back.

As far as Tekotte, I asked for opinions about that player, because it seems like the Sox must see some potential in him that his numbers do not reveal.

"I also can't imagine a team that DFA'd Wise last year would suddenly send a decent prospect back now."

I do, because they have different needs now than they did when he was released. Swisher is gone and Grandyman is out for a long time with a broken bone. That said, I agree that I would not let the Yanks have Wise back unless a decent prospect was offered in return.

If you are holding out for a decent prospect in return for Wise, then you have to know he is going nowhere. He is a serviceable 4th OF, he isnt a hot commodity, he can be replaced without making a trade like that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 08:20 AM)
If you are holding out for a decent prospect in return for Wise, then you have to know he is going nowhere. He is a serviceable 4th OF, he isnt a hot commodity, he can be replaced without making a trade like that.

We saw what the return was for a borderline 3B prospect who may or may not be able to make a 25 man roster. Return for Wise? Yeah, not gonna happen.

I would would appreciate it if you did not reply to my posts or send me any further private messages.

I will afford you the same courtesy.

Thanks.

SSHM.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I would would appreciate it if you did not reply to my posts or send me any further private messages.

Thanks.

SSHM.

Give it a rest or don't post here.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)

Thanks.

SSHM.

I dont really like what you have implied since your time on this board, I have one ID and i sent you one PM telling you to stop accusing people of having multiple IDs. If you want to bring it out in the open, here it is.

I can reply in any thread on this board, just like anyone else. If you dont like it, you can move on.