Beyond the Top 25 - The "Next" 30 Prospects to Watch

NorthSideSox72

After putting up our Top 25 Prospects list back in January, we thought it would be fun to do an article about the "Next" guys. Prospects who didn't make the T25, but are still worth keeping an eye on. Read our list and our reasoning here. Some of these guys will probably be on the next T25 list, if history is any indication.

Writing that article, I really realized just how much more depth this system has now than it did a few years ago. If you had said, in say 2009 or 2010, make a list of the interesting guys outside the Sox T25... I could have maybe found 10. Not over 30, as in this article.

Look at the outfield. The current top outfield prospects might look something like this...

Hawkins

Thompson

Mitchell

Walker

Shoemaker

Haddow

Short

Earley

Otano

Plus Danks2 and Tekotte as non-qual guys.

Now, think about what the list would have looked like in 2010. Danks2 and Short at the top, and then... mostly a bunch of nothing. Viciedo maybe, sort of, but he was a semi-pro pickup. That is a world of difference.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Seth Loman seems like a guy who should've gotten a chance before he got to this age. Switch-hitter.

Granted I know it's 1b/LF and so many fall through the cracks at those spots. Maybe this is our cheap labor Dan Johnson by midyear.

His K/PA rates were in the upper 20's or higher most of the way through his minor league time, which is kind of a large number for an older player. I think the key thing that happened for him was the drop in K rate to below 20% at AA last year, even though his core results stayed much the same.