White Sox extend Sale's contract

chisoxfan09

Link: http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/white-sox-t...ussed-extension

Well, I thought they would not discuss this until next year so we could gage the after year effect (Verducci effect) on his workload and arm.

1. Is it too soon to discuss extension with Sale or do we lock up his 3 ARB and 2 FA years for example?

2. What would be a reasonable offer based on his past performance and future stock plus the possible/probable issues with his arm mechanics?

Thoughts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)

Well, I thought they would not discuss this until next year so we could gage the after year effect (Verducci effect) on his workload and arm.

1. Is it too soon to discuss extension with Sale or do we lock up his 3 ARB and 2 FA years for example?

2. What would be a reasonable offer based on his past performance and future stock plus the possible/probable issues with his arm mechanics?

Thoughts?

A good read on the "Verducci Effect" from a few weeks ago.

The earlier you lock him up, the cheaper it is in the long run.

A good read on the "Verducci Effect" from a few weeks ago.

The earlier you lock him up, the cheaper it is in the long run.

Balta, what do you think is the going rate for an up and coming LH starter with ACE potential to lock up at least his ARB years and 1 FA year?

4/40 or 4/44?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Balta, what do you think is the going rate for an up and coming LH starter with ACE potential to lock up at least his ARB years and 1 FA year?

4/40 or 4/44?

I'm trying to remember the last example of someone like that signing. I came up with Jon Lester, who signed for 5/$30, with an option year at $13 million, back in 2009, but I think he was only at 1 year of service time at that point. Who else should I be thinking of here? Crowdsource that?

I think most teams would try to tack a fairly expensive option year onto that, but yeah, something in the 4/$40 range might sound realistic, and I bet you could get Sale's side to agree to that.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)

Thoughts?

The problem is that Sale hits his arb years after this season.

Yeah, we'll have to get it done muy pronto and get him paid this season.

This makes sense, but it sure would be nice to be able to gage how he does in lieu of his innings count from last year. Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Even buying out his ARB years at something like 3/27 or 3/30 would be a great discount but give him security. And he would be 27 after this type of contract extension and

going into his prime years.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
This makes sense, but it sure would be nice to be able to gage how he does in lieu of his innings count from last year. Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Even buying out his ARB years at something like 3/27 or 3/30 would be a great discount but give him security. And he would be 27 after this type of contract extension and

going into his prime years.

Yeah, it is very possible that he will be a well over $100M player when he hits the free market. Might as well forgo as much of that as possible.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
I heard somewhere that they were trying to get 4 or 5 years for $30m.

Wow that's a lot of money. I am torn about this one. On one hand I want to keep our young talent but on the other hand at what cost and is it efficent for the team and has he a proven track record. But, it is most lkely most cost effective if we want to keep Sale and he wants to stay

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Wow that's a lot of money. I am torn about this one. On one hand I want to keep our young talent but on the other hand at what cost and is it efficent for the team and has he a proven track record. But, it is most lkely most cost effective if we want to keep Sale and he wants to stay

If it was $30 million through his arb years, I'd be all for it. I'd gamble that on an ace. Just want an option year or two at the end.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
That's a bargain for Sale, even if he isn't completely healthy.

On the open market a year of Chris Sale might be worth $25 million, hell maybe more. Keep that in mind when you talk about buying out a year of free agency. 5 years at $30 million would be dirt cheap. Anything under $20 million for a free agent year bought out would be a huge discount. Tim Lincecum got $650,000 for his last pre-arb, then $9m, $14m, $18m for his three arb years, plus $22 mil for his free agent year.

Now contrast that with what we are talking about for Sale.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
I think a long term contract isn't a bad thing, but he's a season or two from Tommy John.

This is just a terrible post. You want to lock up a pitcher you're certain will need Tommy John surgery in the next two years? That makes absolutely no sense. If you actually believe he'll need surgery you do one-off deals through his arbitration years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)
This is just a terrible post. You want to lock up a pitcher you're certain will need Tommy John surgery in the next two years? That makes absolutely no sense. If you actually believe he'll need surgery you do one-off deals through his arbitration years.

An early-career contract may be easier to insure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Danks on Sale: "I'm not a GM. I don't try to do what GMs do, but if I were, he would be my top priority to get locked up."

Thanks John. They locked you up and you rewarded them with 53.2 IP of 5.70 ERA and 4 months on the DL. Worry about living up to your own contract, instead of how much $$$ your teammates are making.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Thanks John. They locked you up and you rewarded them with 53.2 IP of 5.70 ERA and 4 months on the DL. Worry about living up to your own contract, instead of how much $$$ your teammates are making.

If Danks yelled at his shoulder more, we'd have won the division last year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

That sounded more to me like a guy who wanted to see Chris Sale in front of him in the rotation for a long time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

He was saying this as a compliment to Sale. Basically saying he's the one guy the Sox should try to keep around as long as possible. It has absolutely nothing to do with him being worried about Sale getting paid.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
That sounded more to me like a guy who wanted to see Chris Sale in front of him in the rotation for a long time.

Well if Danks pitches up to his contract, it will help the Sox afford Sale for years to come.