White Sox extend Sale's contract

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
I think a long term contract isn't a bad thing, but he's a season or two from Tommy John.

Based on nothing.

This seems like the perfect time to lock Sale up if possible.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/w...-up-chris-sale/

Those four pitchers give us a pretty strong group of comparables, though I have to note the Gallardo and Lester contracts are already three and four years old, respectively. The Collective Bargaining Agreement has changed since then and teams have lots more money to spend these days, so there is inflation to consider. Based on our comparable pitchers though, $30 million or so spread across the next half-decade is a pretty damn good reference point for Sale’s contract talks with the White Sox.

A five-year contract that takes effect immediately would buy out Sale’s final pre-arbitration year, all three years of arbitration-eligibility, and one free agent year. That would take him through his age 28 season, meaning the southpaw would still be in line for a huge free agent contract if he maintains this kind of performance (or even slips a little) and stays reasonably healthy. His representatives at Jet Sports Management probably love the the idea of getting $30-something million right now while still having a shot at a big free agent contract before their client’s 30th birthday.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
5 years, (up to) $60 million.

Sounds like a steal if the kid produces like he did last year.

Hopefully he stays healthy and lives up to this deal.

I'm betting it's actually 6 years and $60 million if both options are picked up. That'd put the regular deal as 4/$35 with 2 options, each at about $12.5 million.

Love it.

Edit: Of course, I'm counting this year in the "4 years", you could say it's covering the next "3" years and then 2 options for FA years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm betting it's actually 6 years and $60 million if both options are picked up. That'd put the regular deal as 4/$35 with 2 options, each at about $12.5 million.

Love it.

Edit: Of course, I'm counting this year in the "4 years", you could say it's covering the next "3" years and then 2 options for FA years.

Not bad at all.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
5 years, (up to) $60 million.

Sounds like a steal if the kid produces like he did last year.

Hopefully he stays healthy and lives up to this deal.

Especially considering they get an extra $25 million a year starting next year from the national TV contract. The price of pitching is only going to go higher.

CBS Version:

The Chicago White Sox have reportedly agreed on a five-year extension with left-handed pitcher Chris Sale worth $60 million.

Sale, 23, will earn a guaranteed $35 million over the first three years, with club options for the final two years. If picked up, the final two years will be worth $25 million in total.

I have to run out, someone tell me when it becomes clear if this year is 1 of the 3 years included there. Basically, is he under contract with options through 2017 or 2018?

Wow very unwhitesox like.................I like the deal overall.

The extension, which includes club options for 2018 and 2019, will cover his final pre-arbitration season, all three of his arbitration seasons and at least one year of free agency. Sale will make $850,000 this season, $3.5 million in 2014, $6 million in 2015, $9.15 million in 2016 and $12 million in 2017. The White Sox hold a $12.5 million option (or $1 million buyout) for 2018 and a $13.5 million option for 2019 (or a $1 million buyout). If Sale maxes out on the deal, he would make a total of $57.5 million. There's risk to committing to any young pitcher, but this could work out very favorably for the White Sox if Sale can hold up.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Sockin @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)

Thank you!

$850k in 13; $3.5m in 14; $6.0m in 15; $9.15m in 16; $12m in 17. #WhiteSox options for 18 &19 for $12.5m and $13.5m.

Wow, love this! Locked up on the cheap for 7 years if you include this season. I realize there is a fear of injury at some point, but at least it isn't like Peavy's last contract where we had him for 2-3 years paying him almost $20 mil per season while not contributing a whole lot.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
Wow, love this! Locked up on the cheap for 7 years if you include this season. I realize there is a fear of injury at some point, but at least it isn't like Peavy's last contract where we had him for 2-3 years paying him almost $20 mil per season while not contributing a whole lot.

Love it too. I interpret this as the White Sox being pro-active, almost expecting T. J. surgery at some point. In that case, have Sale in control for seven years, if you only get 5 good years out of him its still a bargain. Can you imagine what the price of an ace is going to be in 2020?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
If it's just locking up his arb years, and maybe a year of free agency, then it doesn't sound like it would be bad deal right now. It's not like this will be a 7-8 year deal.

Lol it is a 7 year deal.

Very very nice deal.

If the Sox think Sale will hold up (this is the best medical staff in baseball we're talking about here), then I have some faith that Sale won't be Tommy John material.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
Love it too. I interpret this as the White Sox being pro-active, almost expecting T. J. surgery at some point. In that case, have Sale in control for seven years, if you only get 5 good years out of him its still a bargain. Can you imagine what the price of an ace is going to be in 2020?

This. Sale's good years, if he's healthy, are $20M pitcher years. 1 of those makes this contract a steal, 2 and it's a mugging, 3 it's... well, you get the idea.