White Sox extend Sale's contract

chisoxfan09

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
meh, would've liked more years since we'll lose 1.5 to TJ... but... not bad.

How can you have more years than the possibility of going through 2019?

Those later years aren't guaranteed for a very good reason...BUT, it's a good combination of length and years. He could easily earn the entire value of his contract in just 1 - 1 1/2 seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

big fan of this deal, Hahn has now given himself a very good looking core to carry forward with Sale, Peavy and Danks, with some exciting options in Q and Santiago to be further tested; just need another solid RH imho to fill out the rotation going forward.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)

How often do teams sign pitchers to more than a 7 year deal? I would guess almost never. To me its a perfect contract. If he can't still healthy the Sox can parts ways at 5 years costing themselves almost nothing in the buyout.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)

I think the shoulder is going to be more of an issue with him. I'm not a fan of giving pitchers more than three year deals in FA. However, they are usually 27 years old or older when that happens. This is an unusual case where he is 23. It's probably worth it but long deals with pitcher still scare me.

I look at it like this: The Sox are not winning the World Series in the next 5 years if Sale isn't healthy, so if he gets injured for one or more of those years the lost money isn't going to make a difference. However, if he's healthy for those five years, there will be a little bit more money available to help improve the team around him.