Trade Possibility with Padres?

chisoxfan09

I poached this from a Yankees site but it is relevant because the Sox have shown interest in Headley. With Hahn being aggresive I never say never.

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.1282771

Piece of article I thought was interesting - just a rumor.

We’re talking Chase Headley here. Or maybe even Giancarlo Stanton.

Even though it’s spring, when GMs supposedly make only garbage-dumping deals, the word is the Padres are starting to listen to offers for Headley, their 28-year-old All-Star third baseman who led the National League with 115 RBI last year but who is a free agent after 2014 and will undoubtedly command a contract they can’t come close to affording.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I poached this from a Yankees site but it is relevant because the Sox have shown interest in Headley. With Hahn being aggresive I never say never.

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...ticle-1.1282771

Piece of article I thought was interesting - just a rumor.

We’re talking Chase Headley here. Or maybe even Giancarlo Stanton.

Even though it’s spring, when GMs supposedly make only garbage-dumping deals, the word is the Padres are starting to listen to offers for Headley, their 28-year-old All-Star third baseman who led the National League with 115 RBI last year but who is a free agent after 2014 and will undoubtedly command a contract they can’t come close to affording.

The Padres will be able to afford him if they choose. TV money is increasing dramatically.

Why would you sign Chris Sale to an extension then turn around and trade him? I ask because that's what it would take to get Headley right now.

I was thinking anything on the farm and except maybe our starting core of 1-2-3 but hey it's just speculation. Q and Santiago are good cheap pitchers with some upside. Just an example. I knew I would get flamed.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

Sale would be a tremendous overpay. It is unbelievable how overrated Chase Headley is. You're not acquiring A-Rod in his prime, here. This is a guy that could be a 0-2 WAR player for the rest of his career and nobody would bat an eye.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
Sale would be a tremendous overpay. It is unbelievable how overrated Chase Headley is. You're not acquiring A-Rod in his prime, here. This is a guy that could be a 0-2 WAR player for the rest of his career and nobody would bat an eye.

The good news for him and the Padres is that there are not too many quality 3B out there. If the Padres play their cards right, they will hold on to him until a desperate team overpays.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 12:52 AM)
The good news for him and the Padres is that there are not too many quality 3B out there. If the Padres play their cards right, they will hold on to him until a desperate team overpays.

Definitely, and I don't want to be that team. On the other hand, if he gets off to a slow start this year then last year looks more like an aberration. We can use the .770 career OPS, we don't have to have the .870.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
the padres would be smart to deal headley when he's at the peak of his value.

the white sox would be stupid to buy into it

There's a decent chance this isn't Headley's peak value.

Think about it. He's been a good, solid 3b before, but last year he was a great 3b. No one who is trading for him thinks he's a great 3b, but if he comes out and can replicate last year's campaign, suddenly he now has a track record for multiple years as a great 3b.

I'd pay a helluva lot more for him if he hit 30 HR 2 years in a row than 4 HR in 2011 and 31 in 2012.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 03:54 AM)
My mock thread was taken down :(

Oh well, I think the point got across.

As it should have been. I don't think it's ever a good idea to mock other posters. There's been a dearth of topics to discuss here lately. Constant mocking of people who start new threads is detrimental to this sight. I come here to discuss White Sox baseball. We are all not equal in our knowledge of the Sox and mocking and berating new members or posters reeks of bullying.

While I still come here often I often leave more quickly when there is nothing to read and go to places like southsidesox, whitesox.com or twitter for better and fresher info. The game threads here are much better than at southsidesox though where they rarely discuss the games while they try to out-smarmy each other. My choice is to read and discuss baseball. Any place that starts to belittle the less knowledgeable instead of educate loses me quickly.

As it should have been. I don't think it's ever a good idea to mock other posters. There's been a dearth of topics to discuss here lately. Constant mocking of people who start new threads is detrimental to this sight. I come here to discuss White Sox baseball. We are all not equal in our knowledge of the Sox and mocking and berating new members or posters reeks of bullying.

While I still come here often I often leave more quickly when there is nothing to read and go to places like southsidesox, whitesox.com or twitter for better and fresher info. The game threads here are much better than at southsidesox though where they rarely discuss the games while they try to out-smarmy each other. My choice is to read and discuss baseball. Any place that starts to belittle the less knowledgeable instead of educate loses me quickly.

Thank you for a well thought post that is considerate of everyone here. I used to post a lot more and have started more threads lately. I stay away for long periods of time when I see people getting put down by sarcastic and condescending comments. I have never claimed to be a knowledgeable fan but I do try to do my homework on the team during the regular and off season. That's just my way of looking at it and it works for me.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Thank you for a well thought post that is considerate of everyone here. I used to post a lot more and have started more threads lately. I stay away for long periods of time when I see people getting put down by sarcastic and condescending comments. I have never claimed to be a knowledgeable fan but I do try to do my homework on the team during the regular and off season. That's just my way of looking at it and it works for me.

Couldn't agree more with these last two posters. While this trade possibility is probably unlikely at this point, it was referenced from a Yankees article suggesting Headley (and others) might be available and then put a "if that...why not the Sox?" question on it. Perfectly appropriate. And put me in the camp of "seldom poster because of the negative tenor of several/many frequent contributors." That said, Soxtalk always has Sox-related information ahead of any of its competitors, which keeps me coming back to check the site typically 3-4 times/day.

Edited by buckweaver

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
There's a decent chance this isn't Headley's peak value.

Think about it. He's been a good, solid 3b before, but last year he was a great 3b. No one who is trading for him thinks he's a great 3b, but if he comes out and can replicate last year's campaign, suddenly he now has a track record for multiple years as a great 3b.

I'd pay a helluva lot more for him if he hit 30 HR 2 years in a row than 4 HR in 2011 and 31 in 2012.

You'll also be paying him a lot more dollars, which lessens his value.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)

Look, I have no issues with posters who may not be as knowledgeable, it's baseball. We all started at some point in terms of understanding MLB more, and we are all learning new things every year. My thread wasn't meant to mock those posters.

It was meant to mock the posters who consistently bring up idiotic scenarios, that aren't thought out, and then take it personally when people (reasonably) don't agree.

Also, just because there is a lack of conversation on the Sox because of a somewhat quiet offseason, doesn't give the excuse to bring up bad arguments, and then not defend them respectfully, be open to new opinions, etc.

Again, not trying to belittle those who come on the board with an open mind, and may not be caught up on some baseball knowledge, it's more of the terrible posting styles that have appeared on this board lately (hence my reference to the typically politically insane Slam/Filibuster threads that seem more rationale than the "discussions" happening in PHT lately).