Big 10 Tournament Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The older I get the more I despise people using officials as an excuse to rationalize a loss.

That said, I come away from watching Iowa’s 59-56 loss to Michigan State in the second round of the Big Ten tournament feeling as though the men in stripes played too great a role in the contest.

Michigan State has a reputation for playing in your jersey defense. They are physical. It’s the type of physicality the Big Ten is ‘known for’ and quite frankly the type of physicality that is ugly basketball and has made the Big Ten the butt of more than a few jokes through the last decade-plus.

In the second half of this game, right about the time Iowa was up double digits with under 10 minutes to play, Michigan State’s guards were delivering a lot of contact on Iowa’s guards when they had the ball, but no calls came. That happened over and over. Michigan State’s Adreian Payne ‘blocked’ an Iowa dunk attempt that actually didn’t get any ball, but no foul was called.

Late in the game, with Iowa down one and Michigan State shooting with three-seconds left on the shot clock, Aaron White was whistled for a very, very questionable foul.

It was so bad even Iowa State fans could not believe what they were seeing:

@
nvil23
@
haw
k
eyenation
:Woo-wee, we have
s
ome ref coo
k
ing here tonight
a
s
a Clone fan, Haw
k
s
getting
s
crewed

JGerjet
s
(@JnJ4cy)
March 16, 2013

@
haw
k
eyenation
Cyclone here, M
S
U getting away with
s
ome
K
U
s
tyle mugging
s
. The old rule of
s
tart mugging early
s
o it won
t get called late.

Nic
k
V (@nvil23)
March 16, 2013

I realize this is going to read like a ‘whiny fan’ rant. I’m fine wearing that one in this instance. The ‘hand checking’ that MSU was allowed to get away with was just egregious, and former NBA Champ Bob Hansen felt the same during and after the game as I listened to the broadcast. Does Bob want Iowa to win? Yes he does. However Bob is not your typically bleeding heart homer that you hear on University approved radio.

All this said, Michigan State is a very, very good basketball team. They are a better basketball team than Iowa is and the better team, on the whole of the season, won the game.

Aside from the highly debatable officiating, here is where Iowa lost the basketball game: Iowa had 19 turnovers to 13 for Michigan State and the Spartans had 16 offensive boards to Iowa’s seven. Iowa had back to back unforced errors in the last two minutes by Marble and Anthony Clemmons led to five MSU points. Going over eight minutes and forty seconds scoring just two points (10:24 to play and leading by 12 to 2:21 to play trailing by eight) in part of a 24-4 run.

Yes, that is why Iowa lost. But we’ll remember the officiating, and while it was poor and certainly contributed to the changing of momentum and it was mind numbing how a team as physical as Michigan State is had just three fouls with just over three minutes to play in the game, Iowa had more than enough chances to win the game.

Fran McCaffery led off his press conference with this quote: “I’ve coached in a lot of games, a lot of seasons. I’ve coached in a lot of tournaments, NCAA tournaments. This team deserved a better fate tonight.”

McCaffery was asked a follow up question on officiating…he paused for over 15 seconds before providing a three word answer. It was uncomfortable and also spoke volumes about what he thought of the officiating and how it impacted his team’s chances to win.

When asked about whether youth had anything to do with his team falling apart down the stretch, he became angry and defensive, perhaps even defint: “That had nothing to do with it! Nothing…at all…to do with it.” He didn’t scream, but he was firm.

In the end, Iowa drops to 21-11 on the year and went 10-10 against Big Ten competition. Iowa’s RPI will settle somewhere in the 70′s, most likely too far out of the mix to make it into the NCAA tournament. Iowa will likely wind up as a #1 seed in the NIT tournament and while this sort of finish is what I expected for this team before the season began, they were so close to a magical kind of season…something that comes out of the blue that you do not expect.

It’s a shame that Iowa won’t make it into the NCAA tournament because they are playing like a Top 30, Top 40 team in the nation. But that’s not how it works and Iowa’s out of conference schedule is going to wind up costing them.

Iowa will learn its post season fate on Sunday evening and school officials have said they would be able to host some NIT games, even with Carver Hawkeye Arena being a site for the Women’s NCAA tournament.

jon miller/hawkeyenation.com

Badger, I'd like your thoughts on Wisky's keys to victory today. Aside from the obvious control the tempo and make shots! Who's been hot, who hasn't been? Who might surprise? Where might the Badgers have problems? Any words of wisdom from the Cheese State?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
Badger, I'd like your thoughts on Wisky's keys to victory today. Aside from the obvious control the tempo and make shots! Who's been hot, who hasn't been? Who might surprise? Where might the Badgers have problems? Any words of wisdom from the Cheese State?

The Badgers aren't the ones with the pressure on them today. Indiana is the one who needs to figure out how to beat Wisky.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
The Badgers aren't the ones with the pressure on them today. Indiana is the one who needs to figure out how to beat Wisky.

Duh! We're 0 for like forever against them! But I was kinda wanting a Wisconsin perspective on the game, Mr. Buckeye. Beat MSU today and I'll ask you the same tomorrow. Til then, leave my Hoosiers alone! ;-)

Edit: See Rock, I read this and assumed it was you butting in! Didn't catch that it was SS2k chiming in. Even though you didn't post it, you probably thought it, so my response stands Rock. :D

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Lets just get this out of the way. f*** you Rex.

Now good luck. On Wisconsin.

I was much more diplomatic in the way I said it. Just shows us Hoosiers fans have class and you Buckeyes are well.... Just fill in the blank with your favorite derogatory word or slur!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
I was much more diplomatic in the way I said it. Just shows us Hoosiers fans have class and you Buckeyes are well.... Just fill in the blank with your favorite derogatory word or slur!

Lol awesome. I don't think anyone has confused me and ss2k before.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Lets just get this out of the way. f*** you Rex.

Now good luck. On Wisconsin.

Rooting for Wisconsin for any particular reason, or you'd just rather face them than Indiana?

I don't think there's any pressure on Indiana today. The #1 seed in the Midwest should be locked up already. Only way it MAYBE isn't is if Indiana gets crushed today and Louisville wins the Big East Tournament. Even then I think Indiana would still have it.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)

If you are a Wisconsin fan the keys to the game are pretty simple.

1) Contain Zeller. No easy run outs, make him stay planted under the basket on the defensive end and make him bang against Kaminsky/Berg every possession.

2) Offensive flow. Wisconsin needs to work inside/out. They can not just sit around the arc and jack 3 pointers. That results in giving Indiana easy defensive possessions (where they dont have to work) and also leads to fast breaks (long 3s= long rebounds.)

3) Ryan Evans. Wisconsin cant survive a 1-10 game. He needs to be efficient.

4) Brust/Dekker someone needs to shoot 3s

The reality is there is only 1 key, keep the game close whatever it takes. Wisconsin has won something stupid like 54 out of 55 games when winning with less than 5 minutes. In a close game at the end I think Wisconsin has the advantage. The problem is if Indiana gets up 10+ Wisconsin could panic and just play dumb

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
If you are a Wisconsin fan the keys to the game are pretty simple.

1) Contain Zeller. No easy run outs, make him stay planted under the basket on the defensive end and make him bang against Kaminsky/Berg every possession.

2) Offensive flow. Wisconsin needs to work inside/out. They can not just sit around the arc and jack 3 pointers. That results in giving Indiana easy defensive possessions (where they dont have to work) and also leads to fast breaks (long 3s= long rebounds.)

3) Ryan Evans. Wisconsin cant survive a 1-10 game. He needs to be efficient.

4) Brust/Dekker someone needs to shoot 3s

The reality is there is only 1 key, keep the game close whatever it takes. Wisconsin has won something stupid like 54 out of 55 games when winning with less than 5 minutes. In a close game at the end I think Wisconsin has the advantage. The problem is if Indiana gets up 10+ Wisconsin could panic and just play dumb

Thanks for the analysis. I can't argue with any of it. I think the key to Indiana is to get the game to the 70's (or as close as possible) and push the tempo on missed shots. Missed 3's make it easier as you said. If Indiana is not super efficient on offense, they cannot get lulled into a slow paced game that stays in the 50's. Hulls seems to be a bit under the weather. He's been coughing a lot the past few games. He didn't score much yesterday so we'll see if that affects him much. Watford can't be passive on offense. Wisconsin shooting like they did in the first half yesterday wouldn't hurt!

Indiana is a 6 point favorite and I definitely agree that its an upset if Wisconsin wins.

The problem for Indiana (like other running teams) is that as much as they want to run it falls into trap that Wisconsin is setting. Quick missed shots then lead to that team playing more defense, its the equivalent of time of possession in football. Just can wear a team down.

The key to beating Wisconsin is on the defensive end. Wisconsin can be rattled, Crean needs to put Olidapo on a real offensive threat not on Brusier like last game.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Rooting for Wisconsin for any particular reason, or you'd just rather face them than Indiana?

I don't think there's any pressure on Indiana today. The #1 seed in the Midwest should be locked up already. Only way it MAYBE isn't is if Indiana gets crushed today and Louisville wins the Big East Tournament. Even then I think Indiana would still have it.

If by some chance we get by MSU I would rather face Wisconsin.