Big 10 Tournament Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
I just am not sure what the Indiana game plan is here. On the offensive end they have a lot of good match ups, yet they seem more concerned about frantically pushing pace than just settling in and taking advantage.

The idea is to push the pace and get points off the fast break or secondary break. If its not there, to pull the ball back and set up. Sometimes when you are trying to push the pace and the other team is scoring, you tend to play too fast and force shots. It's not the game plan, its frustration they aren't getting enough stops on the defensive end.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
The idea is to push the pace and get points off the fast break or secondary break. If its not there, to pull the ball back and set up. Sometimes when you are trying to push the pace and the other team is scoring, you tend to play too fast and force shots. It's not the game plan, its frustration they aren't getting enough stops on the defensive end.

But youre just not going to push pace against Wisconsin. It happens maybe 1-2 times a season? It just is a game plan based on planning for the best case scenario.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
But youre just not going to push pace against Wisconsin. It happens maybe 1-2 times a season? It just is a game plan based on planning for the best case scenario.

You push the pace on missed shots. If you don't try and get Wisconsin to do what they normally don't, you play right into their hands. I don't think they can shoot this well in the 2nd half. If they do, they'll win. If not, IU will pull away and win by 7.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
You push the pace on missed shots. If you don't try and get Wisconsin to do what they normally don't, you play right into their hands. I don't think they can shoot this well in the 2nd half. If they do, they'll win. If not, IU will pull away and win by 7.

A lot of those shots were layups and easy baskets due to Indiana breakdowns. They didnt even start shooting 3s until the latter half.

And I disagree. The teams who give Wisconsin the biggest problems are the teams who can slow it down and force Wisconsin to grind out wins. They lost to Virginia (Tony Bennett), they lost to MSU x2 (I think they havent beaten them in 5 tries), lost to Purdue...

The only teams who ran on Wisconsin were Florida/Marquette and that was early in the year when Wisconsin wasnt playing well.

You cant speed up a game as long as it stays close against Wisconsin. They do not crash the boards and immediately get back on defense.

The best way to try is to use full court press against them on offense, get a lead and then get them to panic.

But as long as Wisconsin is close you will almost never see a game hit 80 in regulation, it just doesnt happen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
A lot of those shots were layups and easy baskets due to Indiana breakdowns. They didnt even start shooting 3s until the latter half.

And I disagree. The teams who give Wisconsin the biggest problems are the teams who can slow it down and force Wisconsin to grind out wins. They lost to Virginia (Tony Bennett), they lost to MSU x2 (I think they havent beaten them in 5 tries), lost to Purdue...

The only teams who ran on Wisconsin were Florida/Marquette and that was early in the year when Wisconsin wasnt playing well.

If you can defend against Wisconsin you can win. Especially closing out on the three and pick and roll. Of course if they are hitting and Evans starts actually hitting shots it makes it difficult.