North Korea

HuskyCaucasian

North Korea declares 1953 armistice invalid... again.

The North Korean army has declared invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953, the official newspaper of the country's ruling Workers' Party said Monday.

Since last week, North Korea had been threatening to scrap the armistice after the U.N. Security Council passed tougher sanctions against it in response to its February 12 nuclear test.

On Monday, the Rodong Sinmun newspaper reported that the Supreme Command of North Korea's army had done so.

"The U.S. has reduced the armistice agreement to a dead paper," the newspaper said.

North Korea also cut off direct phone links with South Korea at the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency. The phone line was the emergency link for quick, two-way communication between the two sides.

The armistice agreement, signed in 1953, ended the three-year war between North and South Korea in a truce.

Since the two sides remain technically at war, it remains to be seen whether the invalidation means that either side can resume hostilities.

The Rodong Sinmun reported the Supreme Command saying that it can now make a "strike of justice at any target anytime, not bound to the armistice agreement and achieve the national reunification, the cherished desire of the Korean nation."

However, the North has nullified the agreement on several occasions in the past.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told a friend the other day, I honestly did not think that Kim Jong Un would be nuttier than Kim Jong Il. I thought the guy would actually have a little common sense seeing how he had some actual exposure outside of Korea.

I was wrong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
I told a friend the other day, I honestly did not think that Kim Jong Un would be nuttier than Kim Jong Il. I thought the guy would actually have a little common sense seeing how he had some actual exposure outside of Korea.

I was wrong

He's trying to impress the army leadership.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
then you have to deal with one of their allies: China.

Not sure how much love China needs to give NK these days. Its not post WWII where you had Russia/China fighting over communist spheres of influence. NK needs China more than China needs NK.

That being said, nothing is going to happen. People in power like to stay in power, NK only has threats.

As soon as they act on a threat they are gone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
Not sure how much love China needs to give NK these days. Its not post WWII where you had Russia/China fighting over communist spheres of influence. NK needs China more than China needs NK.

That being said, nothing is going to happen. People in power like to stay in power, NK only has threats.

China doesn't want US troops on it's border, which is what would happen with a free unified Korea.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)

They don't need to help NK, but they also won't walk away from them if SK or the US attacks. They last thing they want is another American puppet on their doorstep. That's whey they have propped up NK as long as they have.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Pure saber rattling. The minute a N.Korea boot steps on S.Korea soil. It's on like donkey kong.

Just remember, they don't just have the bomb and the ability to hit Japan, they also have enough artillery pointed at Seoul to level it before anyone replies.

"On like Donkey Kong" = several million civilians dead on both sides and the entire region shattered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Just remember, they don't just have the bomb and the ability to hit Japan, they also have enough artillery pointed at Seoul to level it before anyone replies.

"On like Donkey Kong" = several million civilians dead on both sides and the entire region shattered.

Which is why NK will never actually do it.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
China doesn't want US troops on it's border, which is what would happen with a free unified Korea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
They don't need to help NK, but they also won't walk away from them if SK or the US attacks. They last thing they want is another American puppet on their doorstep. That's whey they have propped up NK as long as they have.

The US is already on China's doorstep, NK really isnt really a military necessity. If the US was to fight China, it would most likely use Taiwan and other islands for base of operation. The US navy/airforce is far superior to China. Putting infantry in SK/NK would just allow the Chinese to try and exploit their only advantage, sheer man power.

The main reason to keep NK from a Chinese perspective that NK gives China leverage against the rest of the world. So China actually wants NK to be the bad guy every once in a while, so that China can come and save the day and be relevant. That way China keeps leverage in case the rest of the world wants to actually start sanctioning China.

I cant see China actually sacrificing real troops for NK though. The entire relationship is built on NK doing what China wants, the second NK goes off the reservation their days are over.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
I wish we could just wipe North Korea off the map.

we kind of should.

(hyperbole. i know it doesn't actually make sense)

Edited by Reddy

• 2 weeks later...