First Rotation Decision

flavum

April 6 - Do you start Quintana on the 5th game, or Sale on regular rest? Oh by the way, the Sox face Felix Hernandez that day.

Maybe that's why they have Quintana going after Sale this spring. So it could be...

4-1 Sale

4-2

4-3 Peavy

4-4 Danks

4-5 Floyd

4-6 Sale

4-7 Quintana

4-8

4-9 Peavy

4-10 Danks

4-11 Floyd

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
I would not skip starters, especially in April. Let everybody get extra rest and keep them fresher for September.

After that first go round, I wouldn't skip anyone either. In fact, the Sox have quite a few 20-game stretches this year without an off day, I'd probably throw in a 6th starter somewhere in there.

Best case scenario, I hope the top 4 starters can go 32 starts, and Quintana 29-30.

There's no way I have either Danks or Q ever going after Sale. Rotation should be Sale (L) - Peavy ® - Quintana (L) because you can't count on Danks for Opening Day - Floyd ® and have Danks/Santiago penciled in to the 5 slot. Just go in rotation, screw the offday stuff. We have good starting pitching & don't need to work around anyone.

I would not skip starters, especially in April. Let everybody get extra rest and keep them fresher for September.
WHy be afraid of Quintana? Last year he pitched well in april and this spring he has had less problems than any of the rest of the starters.

WHy be afraid of Quintana? Last year he pitched well in april and this spring he has had less problems than any of the rest of the starters.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but my feeling is they'll start Sale on Opening Day, and then bring him back on Saturday.

Then the rotation is Sale, Quintana, Peavy, Danks, Floyd from there on, with the occasional 6th man when there are long stretches without an off day. Maybe use Santiago in Toronto in mid-April.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but my feeling is they'll start Sale on Opening Day, and then bring him back on Saturday.

Then the rotation is Sale, Quintana, Peavy, Danks, Floyd from there on, with the occasional 6th man when there are long stretches without an off day. Maybe use Santiago in Toronto in mid-April.

Yeah, I honestly can't tell, but I could see Peavy going out on day 1 as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Isn't Danks starting the season as starter #5?

I don't think anything has been announced either way, including opening day, but as the calendar looks, the starters are lined up to throw in either spring training games, b-games, or on the side:

Sale: 3/11, 3/16, 3/21, 3/26

Quintana: 3/12, 3/17, 3/22, 3/27

Peavy: 3/13, 3/18, 3/23, 3/28

Danks: 3/14, 3/19, 3/24, 3/29

Floyd: 3/15, 3/20, 3/25, 3/30

And then off on 3/31, and start the season. So Quintana would throw on the side on 4/2, and then start Sunday, 4/7 vs Seattle.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
The way Danks has been pitching so far, he needs to be #5 until he gets his sea legs and velocity back.

Either he's ready at the start of the season, or he's not. We're talking about the difference between April 4th and April 6th or 7th. It's not like those 2 or 3 days mean anything. Either he's part of the rotation, or he's not.

For my two cents, it makes best sense to have the lefties separated as much as possible, but to have Sale #1, so that the lefty in the #5 slot (Danks or Quintana) is a different look than the guy you just saw. I wouldn't slot Q and Danks together.

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Floyd

Danks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
For my two cents, it makes best sense to have the lefties separated as much as possible, but to have Sale #1, so that the lefty in the #5 slot (Danks or Quintana) is a different look than the guy you just saw. I wouldn't slot Q and Danks together.

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Floyd

Danks

This looks right to me as well because I do think you need to break up the lefties. Danks has to be the 5th because he will be the one that gets skipped if he needs the extra day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Floyd

Danks

I agree with your logic, but I'd ideally like Quintana #5 and Sale #1 to have the largest separation in terms of velocity. That way if a team has to face both of those guys in a series, they go from slow velocity one day to super fast velocity the next.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
I agree with your logic, but I'd ideally like Quintana #5 and Sale #1 to have the largest separation in terms of velocity. That way if a team has to face both of those guys in a series, they go from slow velocity one day to super fast velocity the next.

If Danks wasn't coming off of the shoulder injury, he'd be slotted #3. I think the team will take it easy on him early. It wouldn't shock me to see that reshuffled as some point during the season.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to point out that Axelrod was decent as a starter. 5.03 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 7 K/9, 2.3 K/BB, and a lot of those numbers are worse because of one really bad outing (7/8 vs TOR - 3 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 3 HR). There's a lot he needs to work on - the .787 OPSa he allowed will get him closer to a 6 ERA than 5 - but he's perfectly fine as a #5 starter but he's just terrible out of the bullpen.

He'll kill it against Felix.