Alexei called most underrated SS in AL

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...t-underrated-ss

"This guy is totally under the radar," said a longtime talent evaluator from the National League West. "Every season you hear about (Derek) Jeter or (Alcides) Escobar as the best. For my money Alexei Ramirez is the best all-around in that league."

more at link

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see this positive story about the Sox and Alexei in particular. I always thought he was under rated and could never understand the posters here that criticize the guy. Yes, he didn't really have a year with the bat HE would have liked but he admits it and works hard to improve. Defensively he is one of the best in the league

Edited by elrockinMT

This makes me want to make an all-sox team of my lifetime. All-time sox lists are fun, but it's annoying putting players you've never watched on there.

I'm pretty damn certain Alexei is the best SS of my sox lifetime, which I consider 93 - today.

(93 being first conscious year following white sox)

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
This makes me want to make an all-sox team of my lifetime. All-time sox lists are fun, but it's annoying putting players you've never watched on there.

I'm pretty damn certain Alexei is the best SS of my sox lifetime, which I consider 93 - today.

Agreed. He's awfully undervalued. Lets not discuss why though. I kid, I kid. ;)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
In a system demanding each club have at least one midget, I'll gladly take the tallest one.

The system does not demand each club have at least one midget at SS - the goods ones are all just in the NL. Also, the White Sox employ the smallest midget at catcher - which will also be an issue.

God, this offense is going to suck donkey dick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
God, this offense is going to suck donkey dick.

You're most definitely entitled to your opinion, but I have faith that the 2013 Sox offense will be at least as good, if not better than 2012 Sox offense.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
You're most definitely entitled to your opinion, but I have faith that the 2013 Sox offense will be at least as good, if not better than 2012 Sox offense.

So you see Alex Rios playing well again, Tyler Flowers matching AJ's 2012 output, Paul Konerko staying healthy, and Adam Dunn hitting 40 jacks? This offense is going to be horrific. Pretty much everything went right last year and they were still painful.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
So you see Alex Rios playing well again, Tyler Flowers matching AJ's 2012 output, Paul Konerko staying healthy, and Adam Dunn hitting 40 jacks? This offense is going to be horrific. Pretty much everything went right last year and they were still painful.

I would say not everything went right last year. I would expect upticks in production from Viciedo, Ramirez, Konerko, and possibly Dunn and Beckham as well. Not counting on anything with Gordon, though. 3B will be far better than last year. Rios had a real nice year, but he really didn't drive in very many runs so it would not shock me if he improves in that regard from the 3 spot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)

i remember another horrific offense that did quite well about 8 years ago...

god it's been that long.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I would say not everything went right last year. I would expect upticks in production from Viciedo, Ramirez, Konerko, and possibly Dunn and Beckham as well. Not counting on anything with Gordon, though. 3B will be far better than last year. Rios had a real nice year, but he really didn't drive in very many runs so it would not shock me if he improves in that regard from the 3 spot.

So you expect a player turning 37 (Konerko) to do better than last year? You expect a player who's declined 4 straight seasons to do better (Ramirez)? You expect Adam Dunn to do better than 40 jacks hitting .204?

Honestly, I don't expect anything out of the lot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)

Everything went right? 3B put up a .600 OPS. Konerko got hurt. Ramirez had his worst offensive season. Beckham hit .230. Viciedo is still learning. Dunn hit .204 and struck out an ungodly amount of times, and they still scored the 4th most runs in the league. Rios and AJP were definitely better than anyone could have expected, and the Sox should expect less from those positions this year, but I think there are places they can improve.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)

I believe that others have expressed my sentiments quite well on this issue.

:gosox1:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
So you expect a player turning 37 (Konerko) to do better than last year? You expect a player who's declined 4 straight seasons to do better (Ramirez)? You expect Adam Dunn to do better than 40 jacks hitting .204?

I've given up on thinking that age matters for PK. I expect him not to be worthless for half the season and spend virtually the whole season approaching at bats like Juan Pierre. What he might lose to age (get slower?), I think he gains with a fancy new wrist. He'll also be seeing more time at DH this year which would help ameliorate some concerns about his age.

Dunn may not drop 40 bombs, though he may since that is something he does far more often than not, but I doubt he has such a low BA/OBP again. At worst, I expect a wash and 40/96 out of your 5 hitter ain't so bad.

Alexei Ramirez RBI's by season: 77, 68, 70, 70, 73. Until further notice, I say the drop in peripherals last year was a blip on the map -- for whatever reason, his early season slump lasted almost a month longer than normal. I expect a similar or better season because that's what he always does.

There are plenty of reasons the team might not do well, offense included and especially, but there are just as many reasons they may do very well. In the end, we produced ENOUGH but not consistently to win last year. Spread out some of that run scoring into the last two weeks of the season and we look at this completely differently. I'll take my chances with this team and if it doesn't work out I see a ton of ways we can keep improving in the next season or two as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I would say not everything went right last year. I would expect upticks in production from Viciedo, Ramirez, Konerko, and possibly Dunn and Beckham as well. Not counting on anything with Gordon, though.

Why do you expect an uptick from Ramirez, but not counting on Beckham when Beckham had the better year last year and is 3-4 years younger than Ramirez?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)

Please explain, using some facts, how Ramirez has declined 4 straight seasons.