Sox send 10 to minor league camp

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 01:50 AM)
Drew Garcia (3B) is still around.

He's not part of major league camp. He's been brought up a couple times for games, but he's in minor league camp.

There are 45 players left in major league camp.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
I agree with Caulfield, Carlos Sanchez should be plan B for Beckham this year. He fills more needs in the lineup (AVG & OBP) that Morel does.

Honestly, I feel like we need to see if Morel can actually fill a reserve role down the road. That means demonstrating some positional flexibility. Might as well see if he can handle SS while he is at AAA.

I don't think there is a plan B for Beckham this year unless he's injured. I'd like Sanchez to stay at short because if he can play there it makes him more valuable and there's a replacement in in the unlikely event they are able to move Ramirez next offseason.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
I don't think there is a plan B for Beckham this year unless he's injured. I'd like Sanchez to stay at short because if he can play there it makes him more valuable and there's a replacement in in the unlikely event they are able to move Ramirez next offseason.

It's not unlikely. It's a heckuva lot MORE likely than moving John Danks, Rios or Dunn, that's for sure.

Second, of course there's a plan B. Sanchez will stay at short because it's a lot easier to move to 2B eventually...if need be, than to make the opposite switch, and his value is higher at that position, because more power is needed from 2B these days. But the organization can't be too optimistic at this point about Beckham going forward.

DeMichele, Angel Sanchez or Keppinger could both play 2B as well...in the next couple of years. But those are just stopgaps or placeholders.

Which is more likely? For Beckham to have over a 700 OPS in 2013, or Ramirez? History shows Ramirez, because he's done it 4/5 years.

Whereas Beckham has had three consecutive bad offensive seasons and is also starting to get overpaid for his value/production.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
It's not unlikely. It's a heckuva lot MORE likely than moving John Danks, Rios or Dunn, that's for sure.

Second, of course there's a plan B. Sanchez will stay at short because it's a lot easier to move to 2B eventually...if need be, than to make the opposite switch, and his value is higher at that position, because more power is needed from 2B these days. But the organization can't be too optimistic at this point about Beckham going forward.

DeMichele, Angel Sanchez or Keppinger could both play 2B as well...in the next couple of years. But those are just stopgaps or placeholders.

Which is more likely? For Beckham to have over a 700 OPS in 2013, or Ramirez? History shows Ramirez, because he's done it 4/5 years.

Whereas Beckham has had three consecutive bad offensive seasons and is also starting to get overpaid for his value/production.

Danks is an interesting case. If the team doesn't start well...

If the young pitching keeps coming along, and Danks proves healthy and back to 2010 or before type work, he would have a huge value on the trade market. There are more than a few young pitchers knocking on the door right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Danks is an interesting case. If the team doesn't start well...

If the young pitching keeps coming along, and Danks proves healthy and back to 2010 or before type work, he would have a huge value on the trade market. There are more than a few young pitchers knocking on the door right now.

Personally, if Danks looks good this year, I'm sticking with a 1-2-3 of Sale-Peavy-Danks for the next two or three years and seeing where that gets me. With Floyd likely gone, we should be able to afford them with Quintana/Santiago and possibly Johnson/Snodgress/Rienzo/Castro at the backend of the rotation.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Personally, if Danks looks good this year, I'm sticking with a 1-2-3 of Sale-Peavy-Danks for the next two or three years and seeing where that gets me. With Floyd likely gone, we should be able to afford them with Quintana/Santiago and possibly Johnson/Snodgress/Rienzo/Castro at the backend of the rotation.

If we're actually trading Ramirez, then getting cost savings by putting Santiago into the rotation for Danks would also make sense.

In that case, you're pretty much resigned to also jettisoning Thornton, Crain and looking to move DeAza, Rios, Dunn and Konerko if you can get anything of value back (or just simply cost savings in the case of all those players except for DeAza and Konerko, and also co-dependent on the continued progress of Thompson/Mitchell/Walker/Hawkins).

Keppinger's a nice veteran "glue" utility player who would seem to fit even if we went into that drastic rebuilding mode because you always need to have some veterans to teach the young infield prospects how to play the game right, kind of like a younger Omar Vizquel role.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)

Poor Molina. I guess it's a sign of some decent progress that we can at least list 4 theoretical replacements and not be including either Molina or Axelrod on it.

Maybe he will perform better this year more under the radar than having the weight of the trade and expectations coming into 2012.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
Poor Molina. I guess it's a sign of some decent progress that we can at least list 4 theoretical replacements and not be including either Molina or Axelrod on it.

Maybe he will perform better this year more under the radar than having the weight of the trade and expectations coming into 2012.

I was hesitant to include Castro in that group, but he did so well this spring I'm holding out some hope he can put it all together this year, although I don't think it's very likely. I think he ends up in the bullpen down the road.

I like what I've seen from Axelrod, he's pitched pretty well for us all things considered, but I think he's more of a long reliever/spot starter on a contending team.

Molina is a complete unknown at this point. Maybe he rebounds this year, more likely he doesn't IMO. I haven't given up on him yet, but I'm not very optimistic after the season he had last year. However, you do have to wonder why they valued him as highly as they did. I mean, he was on the Sox's short list of targets the offseason we traded for him, so someone in the organization really had to like him at the time.

The good news is that we at least have some starting pitching depth in the upper levels of the system.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
I was hesitant to include Castro in that group, but he did so well this spring I'm holding out some hope he can put it all together this year, although I don't think it's very likely. I think he ends up in the bullpen down the road.

I like what I've seen from Axelrod, he's pitched pretty well for us all things considered, but I think he's more of a long reliever/spot starter on a contending team.

Molina is a complete unknown at this point. Maybe he rebounds this year, more likely he doesn't IMO. I haven't given up on him yet, but I'm not very optimistic after the season he had last year. However, you do have to wonder why they valued him as highly as they did. I mean, he was on the Sox's short list of targets the offseason we traded for him, so someone in the organization really had to like him at the time.

The good news is that we at least have some starting pitching depth in the upper levels of the system.

I think it's been directly stated, but if not it's a fair assumption, that Marco Paddy is the one who was unreasonably high on Molina. Molina was Paddy's guy in Toronto too.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
I think it's been directly stated, but if not it's a fair assumption, that Marco Paddy is the one who was unreasonably high on Molina. Molina was Paddy's guy in Toronto too.

I know that's kind of been the assumption, although I've always been a little skeptical. We literally traded for Molina six days after announcing the Paddy hire. KW made it sound like Molina was on their "list" for a while, but then again that could have just been posturing for the media.